Google Voice is now HALFway allowing MMS

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Apparently now, you can receive MMS in Google Voice BUT:

1. Only from Sprint users (the sender must be on Sprint)
2. You can only view it via forwarding your texts to email

They say they're working on making them viewable via Google Voice inbox and on getting the other carriers to allow it too.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
What's the point of getting it via email if it only works for Sprint when you can just have it go to your regular MMS? lol.

I was looking forward to being able to send and receive fax. I guess they aren't going for that one huh? Would be awesome if I could take a picture and send a fax from my cellphone. I hate when people want things faxed. What year is this?

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
If a picture gets sent to Google Voice as is doesn't it just automatically reroute to your stock messaging app anyway?

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
If a picture gets sent to Google Voice as is doesn't it just automatically reroute to your stock messaging app anyway?

I believe I just pointed that out.

Does this only do this for Sprint or will it do it for regular Google voice users too?

Maybe Sprint is trying to get less traffic on their MMS network?

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Between Voice, the Messaging app, and Google Talk which I use daily, not to mention newcomers like ChatON, I really don't care to have another piece of the puzzle to maintain (emails) just to get pictures. Between this and the constantly poor reliability of Google Voice and them straight up breaking the app with their updates, I'm really glad I only use it as a backup/secondary number and didn't keep the full blown Sprint integration.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Between Voice, the Messaging app, and Google Talk which I use daily, not to mention newcomers like ChatON, I really don't care to have another piece of the puzzle to maintain (emails) just to get pictures. Between this and the constantly poor reliability of Google Voice and them straight up breaking the app with their updates, I'm really glad I only use it as a backup/secondary number and didn't keep the full blown Sprint integration.

Yea. I've been off integration for months. Its very unreliable. I just use it for voicemail and as a side effect have a second number if I ever need it.