Siri vs Google Voice Search: A Test

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I had an opportunity to go into an AT&T store today and try out Siri...it was not very good and no where near as accurate as Android.

Some "tests":

1. "Find me the nearest Bed, Bath and Beyond"

Siri: Unable to find any places named "Bed Bath and Beyond" (There was one 1.5 miles away)

Android: N/A (it doesn't use the "find me the nearest"

2. "Map Bed Bath and Beyond"

Siri: Said it found some stores with the name "Beyond" - none of them were Bed Bath and Beyond and some didn't even have the word "Beyond"

Android: Gave me a map showing the Bed Bath and Beyond stores. Perfect.

3. Map the nearest "Whole Foods"

Siri: Mapped "Holly Fills"

Android: Mapped "Whole Foods" perfectly.

I've been using Android's voice commands/search for a while now to map, navigate, web search and dictate my text messages and it is incredibly accurate.

iBowToAndroid

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I had an opportunity to go into an AT&T store today and try out Siri...it was not very good and no where near as accurate as Android.

Some "tests":

1. "Find me the nearest Bed, Bath and Beyond"

Siri: Unable to find any places named "Bed Bath and Beyond" (There was one 1.5 miles away)

Android: N/A (it doesn't use the "find me the nearest"

2. "Map Bed Bath and Beyond"

Siri: Said it found some stores with the name "Beyond" - none of them were Bed Bath and Beyond and some didn't even have the word "Beyond"

Android: Gave me a map showing the Bed Bath and Beyond stores. Perfect.

3. Map the nearest "Whole Foods"

Siri: Mapped "Holly Fills"

Android: Mapped "Whole Foods" perfectly.

I've been using Android's voice commands/search for a while now to map, navigate, web search and dictate my text messages and it is incredibly accurate.

Yup, i love Voice Actions - use it for texts when I'm alone and every time for nav.

Protip: you can compose an entire message using your voice, without having to go into your text app. Hold down the search button until Voice Search comes up, and then say "Send text to (contact) [half-second pause] (message). The recipient does have to be in your Google contacts for this to work, they cannot be saved as a phone contact

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Am I the only one who just feels ridiculous talking TO his phone? I do my best to avoid the whole voice command thing altogether. Even when I'm driving, I'll manually dial (via contact list or shortcut). Besides...I don't care how great these systems are...I don't trust them to get it right. Even if I wanted to send a text message via voice, I would have to look at the screen first to make sure it got the right words before I would send it.

evansgw

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Am I the only one who just feels ridiculous talking TO his phone? I do my best to avoid the whole voice command thing altogether. Even when I'm driving, I'll manually dial (via contact list or shortcut). Besides...I don't care how great these systems are...I don't trust them to get it right. Even if I wanted to send a text message via voice, I would have to look at the screen first to make sure it got the right words before I would send it.

I agree!!

I have Ford Sync in my car but mostly use it for Pandora, or voice dialing. But I haven't used the phone voice recognition to find somewhere.

Although, that might change now I've downloaded Vlingo. Which worked really well and understood my British accent. Next step, test it in the car.

darkmatter

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I have to say your #1 comparison is wrong.

Say "directions to bed bath and beyond" and google will take you to the nearest bed bath & beyond. If you get a list to choose from, the top of the list will be the nearest, 2nd in the list will be the next nearest and so on.

I use the "directions to..." command more than anything. Its so much easier to use google navigation via the voice search comand that we never use my fiance's garmin any more. Rather than trying to find San Diego Airport in her Garmin, I just press and hold the find button, and say "directions to san diego airport" and done.

Siri seems to me to be little more than an advanced, voice recognition enabled, aim chatbot...

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I have to say your #1 comparison is wrong.

No, I was comparing exact commands and there is no "Find me the nearest..." I know that "directions to" does the same thing but so does "Map of" so i just used that.

I use voice commands/dictation for texting, some emailing, calling, navigating, mapping and you can even use it for listening to music (say "Listen to Caravan Palace" and it'll give you the option of doing that in Pandora, Spotify, Last.fm, your local music or any other music app)

darkmatter

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
"Map of" is not the same as "directions to". Saying "map of" does not bring up a navigation option, just shows the map.

And it seems silly to say that a feature is non existant when it simply needs a different command to do the same thing. Its like saying android doesn't have apps cause there's no "app store" when instead its "market".

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Jessicalt1

Lover of all things Andi
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Played with Iris a little bit today, she has not looked one single damn thing up. Just tells me she's tired. Dammit! She'd be fired if she didn't tell me she handed in her resignation today.

Deacon#AC

May 16, 2011
Visit site
My wife hasn't gotten used to my phone yet (she's trying though). And we are both very careful about using our phones in the car.

So the other day she wanted to look up something with my phone (map) while I was driving.
She knows how to turn it on and unlock the screen but that's about it.

Told her to tap the microphone at the top of the screen (Google widget) and ask the phone for map and the store name. Actually worked like a charm.........then I couldn't get my phone back.....

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
LOLOLOL.....uh, it's a phone, isn't that what we are suppose to do.....sort of?

L O L!

No, I know what he means. I don't speak to it in front of people. It's embarrassing. Ahahahaha. The only time I use it is when I'm in the car. Otherwise what's the point of sending a text if your going to speak out load.

Definitely useful in the car when you need to pull up navigation real quick.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
When I had an Android device, I used the google voice recognition daily. It was super accurate. Now that I have an iPhone and am using Siri, I can say that Siri is better. But I have really gotten a lot of use from them both.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

dammitcubs

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Dude...I hate to admit it but Siri is pretty freaking awesome. I tried it out and for me, it works better than the android version. Even when it read it wrong, the server auto corrected it. You didn't have to be perfect for it to understand. I loved how you can mixed up the language of how you say things from military time, to 16 after, or quarter after or the holiday or the next saturday or right after or anything. It knows.

It's got a long way to go and the android version will get better because of this which excites me the most. No need to start bashing now. Let's just enjoy what ever technology that suits us...who cares about what other people buy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781