How do I get google voice dictation to write the word "period"?

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
In google voice dictation, you can put punctuation in by saying the punctuation. For example, to get the sentence, "I am happy." you would say, "I am happy period," and it puts in a period. But how to get the word period?

If I say, "It was a great period in my life," it writes: "It was a great. In my life"

The only way I've been able to get it to print the word is to say the punctuation twice, but then that results in:

"It was a great. Period in my life wasn't it? Question mark"

Is there a way to do this?

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Re: How do I get google voice dictation to write the word "period

I haven't really played with the Google version of dictation, but back in the day when I used to dictate a lot I edited my dictionary to replace the punctuation mark "period" with the voice command "full stop"

Hopefully you can edit that somewhere in the phone.

guruachary

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Call me a genius, as I have found out a solution to the "full stop"/"period" problem.

What you need to do is change the Language to "UK English" in GOOGLE VOICE settings and not in your mobile settings.

To do this:
1) open up a new text message
2) change the keyboard to voice input like you normally would
3) you would see a "red microphone" button that says it's listening to you. ABOVE that red button in faded colour is a drop-down box to select language
4) click on that and choose "UK English-the one & only" :p

That should recognize "full stop" as a punctuation mark.. the way it normally should.

The above steps were done successfully on my Samsung Galaxy S GT9505 4 International edition, running Android 4.3. Results may vary depending on your mobile specifications, and will be done under your responsibility.

d0ugparker

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site

Months later, here's one way to get the word
"period" to be typed out. Say the letters of the
word: "P-E-R-I-O-D".

Please vote up, LIKE, and thank. I need the
cred. Thanks.

Dr Doug

Chester-Tripod

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Great stuff. Now, see if you can figure out how to say the word 'new paragraph' without forcing a new paragraph. This actually came up in a recent legitimate message of mine.

Chester-Tripod

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site

d0ugparker: unfortunately, that spells out the word in all caps, so I still have to go back and correct it.

Evangelist Luke

Dec 17, 2017
Visit site

When you are dictating wait for the words to stop being underlined and then say the word period that's how I've got to do it anyway I hope this helps God bless you

Evangelist Luke

Dec 17, 2017
Visit site
If when you're dictating the words underlined when they stop being underlined then say the word period just like if you want a, just comma when the words are underlined but if you want the word say it after the word stop being underlined and you will get the comma

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon