[How-To] Tethering 4G on Nexus S 4G as AP not Ad-Hoc Connection

esoh

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: [How-To] Tethering 4G on Nexus S 4G as AP not Ad-Hoc Connecti

Genaro15243, thanks for confirming. This is what I'm doing now then:

1. Use GB built-in tethering to do 3G tethering via USB and hotspot (infrastructure mode)

2. Use Wifi tether 2.0 version to do 4G tethering hotspot (ad hoc) in those situations when I have it and need it.

Kind of a kludge, but works for me

gandalf1369

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

I have a rooted Nexus S 4g (Sprint) and the stock ROM 2.3.7 with a radio of D720SPRKE1. If I wanted to install Peter Alfonso's "Tethering Fix For Nexus S 4G" is it as simple as:

1. copy the CRESPO4GTETHERFIX.zip file directly to the root of the internal SD card.
2. boot the phone into the unlocked bootloader and choose "recovery".
3. from the Clockworkmod menu choose to install the .zip file from #1.
4. reboot the phone.

I know the question seems trivial to the more experienced people but I'm just starting with the rooted Nexus and would appreciate any help or advise.

Thanks . . . .

meangreenstebo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

I have a rooted Nexus S 4g (Sprint) and the stock ROM 2.3.7 with a radio of D720SPRKE1. If I wanted to install Peter Alfonso's "Tethering Fix For Nexus S 4G" is it as simple as:

1. copy the CRESPO4GTETHERFIX.zip file directly to the root of the internal SD card.
2. boot the phone into the unlocked bootloader and choose "recovery".
3. from the Clockworkmod menu choose to install the .zip file from #1.
4. reboot the phone.

I know the question seems trivial to the more experienced people but I'm just starting with the rooted Nexus and would appreciate any help or advise.

Thanks . . . .

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I spent two days trying to figure out how to install that patch because I am a complete newbie to root. I watched countless videos on how to root and get wifi tether to work and had tried tirelessly to get that patch to work. Every time I tried with rom manager, the phone would reboot and then I would get a triangle with an exclamation point. This essentially locked up my phone (and completely freaked me out) and only way to fix would to remove battery. Your simple instructions had me fixed up in a few minutes.

Also, my other problem was that my Nexus was setting up an ad hoc network. So I installed wifi tether for root and chose nexus one as the phone, changed to Netd to get infrastructure mode and FINALLY my Acer A500 can see the signal and hook up. Only thing is, when I launch the wifi tether for root app, my native hotspot feature tries to start up - and this sems to block the tab from seeing the wifi again. About 30 seconds later, the little blue (native) tethering dissapears and I am rocking the wifi tether on my tab. It will spontaneously shut down (the phone) and reboot from time to time - but I can deal with that to have my data WORKING ON MY TAB :) !!!

Any ideas on how to stop the native app from launching to clean things up a little? The weird thing is that the blue signal appears up top in the tray but if I go to the native hotspot launcher in settings, it is turned off. Honestly, I am scared to mess with it but if there is a way to disable it without too much tinkering, that would rock. I get the feeling that the native app is the thing that is rebooting the phone from time to time, but thst is just a guess.

trentpreston

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site

This worked for me to create an non adhoc hot spot. You go to google and type in android wifi tether and download the latest verison. Aftering installing the apk, open and to to menu. CHose setting then click change device profile and chose your phone.(i have samsung galaxy S 4g by T-mobile). Then click on change setup method and chose netd(master). Close out the setting and start the tether. It will crease a mobile access point that your tab can connect to.

meangreenstebo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

Just got 3.2.1 pushed to my Iconia. Ad hoc is now recognized and supported by Honeycomb :) . Typing this now while tethered to my Nexus S with the native tethering. Also, I could not get my tab to work off the Netd fix when it came to the GPS, but its working now. If you tether your Nexus to your tablet and don't want to root - update to 3.2.1 and you will be fully functional. Early Christmas surprise for me. The Netd fix was good but it would sporadically shut down. Now its all stable.

frannis808

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

worked great for me, but after 10 minutes of flawless use, my phone restarted. and haven't been able to tether since.

jayman123123

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site

Hello, I am new to Android and am having trouble tethering my 2.3 Samsung Conquer 4g on the sprint network with my Acer Iconia A100 tablet running honeycomb. If anyone can help me out please email me at jayman123123@yahoo.com THANK YOU :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz