02-24-2012 07:15 PM
29 12
tools
    The Nexus S 4G will allow you to tether 3G or 4G using most of the apps in the market such as Wireless Tether or the built in hotspot app (3G only), but these methods turn your NS4G into an Ad-Hoc network. Some devices, my notebook computer for instance won't accept an Ad-Hoc connection so I found another (Simple IMO) method.

Some background:

My brother has an Evo 4G and he has never had any issues tethering to my notebook computer using 4G so I wanted to find out why. Turns out Evo's use a different method of tethering. They do not broadcast as an Ad-Hoc network they use a completely different method of tethering called "SoftAP". This essentially makes Evo's think they are actual Access Points, which any wi-fi enabled device can connect to.

I found a way to make my NS4G work in this manner using the WiFi Tether app, very similar to the Wireless Tether app in the market.

Prerequisites:
    MUST be rooted and using a custom rom or the patched hotspot files.
    Make a nandroid backup ( better safe than sorry)
    Have some time to toy with the settings if the ones listed below don't work (which they should)

Download and Install attached file "WiFi Tether for Root Users 3.1-beta6" on your NS4G and grant SU permissions.

Open app and go to Settings-> and change to the following below:

Change Device-Profile: Samsung Galaxy S
    Change Setup-Method: Netd (Master)

Once you change those settings you will be able to tether as an Access Point and not as an Ad-Hoc connection allowing you to connect and tether your 4G with pretty much any wifi device.

You may have to play around with the different variations of the options but the ones I have given above should work just fine.

This will also work on other nexus devices allowing you to use an Access Point connection instead of an Ad-Hoc connection.

**One thing I should note, the only issue I've had with this is set up is when you stop the connection. The app might "Force Close" and on occasion reboot the device. But that is a small price that I pay to tether my 4G connection.

Let me know if this method works for you just so I can confirm it wasn't a fluke on my end!

Hope this helps anyone with similar tethering issues.
    10-26-2011 02:29 AM
    Works great! I have tried other wireless tethering apps before, but I couldn't get my laptop to connect to any of them, until now

I'm connected to it now on 3G as I type this. I don't have 4G in my area so I can't confirm if that works.
    10-26-2011 12:46 PM
    Excellent write up! Thank you. Working fine here.
    10-26-2011 02:19 PM
    Are you saying this natively allows you to share your 4G connection or when you say 4G are you referring to the Nexus S 4G?
    10-26-2011 04:56 PM
    It allows you to natively tether at 4G speeds, assuming that you are in a 4G area and have the 4G radio on.
    10-26-2011 05:10 PM
    It allows you to natively tether at 4G speeds, assuming that you are in a 4G area and have the 4G radio on.
    Exactly! This post was specifically to tether 4G but it will also work on other nexus devices allowing you to use an Access Point connection instead of an Ad-Hoc connection.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G
    10-26-2011 05:17 PM
    This is allowing me to tether via AP instead of ad-hoc, which is nice. But it's still only tethering on 3G speeds, just like the native tethering app. Verified this by watching the 3G/4G icon and their green/white behavior, as well as speedtest.net

7.42Mbps d/l speed on phone (4G), but only 1.4Mbps d/l on PC when tethered.
    10-26-2011 07:56 PM
    This is allowing me to tether via AP instead of ad-hoc, which is nice. But it's still only tethering on 3G speeds, just like the native tethering app. Verified this by watching the 3G/4G icon and their green/white behavior, as well as speedtest.net

7.42Mbps d/l speed on phone (4G), but only 1.4Mbps d/l on PC when tethered.
    Weird, I'm not seeing results like that. My 4G speeds are the same on my Nexus S 4G and my PC. About 6.5Mbps across the board.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    10-26-2011 08:27 PM
    I have the $29.99 mobile hotspot option on my plan. I tried this and everything worked fine. So I went online to Sprint and removed the $29.99 mobile hotspot option. Waited about 1 hour so that the change would propagate through the system. Tried this again after the 1 hour and it was a no go. As soon as I turned on tethering the 4G would disconnect and there was no data whatsoever.

I will point out that both times when I turned on tethering, the built-in mobile hotspot icon popped up, but only the second time did it not go away....

If this could be made to work that would be great, I think it is complete BS to be forced to pay $29.99 a month to use data via a laptop or tablet. It isn't like I'm also using data on the phone at the same time, so it really is just the same data. And I very rarely use mobile hotspot, so most months it is just a waste, but it is an enormous pain to have to go online and add and remove it constantly.
    10-28-2011 09:11 AM
    I have the $29.99 mobile hotspot option on my plan. I tried this and everything worked fine. So I went online to Sprint and removed the $29.99 mobile hotspot option. Waited about 1 hour so that the change would propagate through the system. Tried this again after the 1 hour and it was a no go. As soon as I turned on tethering the 4G would disconnect and there was no data whatsoever.

I will point out that both times when I turned on tethering, the built-in mobile hotspot icon popped up, but only the second time did it not go away....

If this could be made to work that would be great, I think it is complete BS to be forced to pay $29.99 a month to use data via a laptop or tablet. It isn't like I'm also using data on the phone at the same time, so it really is just the same data. And I very rarely use mobile hotspot, so most months it is just a waste, but it is an enormous pain to have to go online and add and remove it constantly.
    There is a way to get native 3G tethering for free so long as you're rooted, which I'm assuming you are. You can use the hack for 3G and the app for 4G.
    10-28-2011 10:21 AM

Are you rooted? Sounds like you are using the stock rom? CM7 and other custom roms have the tethering files patched to work without a hotspot plan.
    10-28-2011 02:19 PM
    Am I correct in assuming that in order for this procedure to work correctly, not only must you be rooted but you must also be running CM7 or some other custom ROM ??

The reason I ask is that I have a rooted Nexus S 4G without the tethering plan from Sprint. After installing the .apk that the OP included in his post, and following his directions for changing the settings in the app, I still cannot tether successfully. My tablet (a rooted NookColor) can connect to the Nexus AP but always gives the message "Connected, but no internet".

Curious . . . .
    10-29-2011 08:10 AM
    Thank You, now I can use my Acer A100 tablet which wasn't accepting ad-hoc connections.
    10-29-2011 02:05 PM
    Am I correct in assuming that in order for this procedure to work correctly, not only must you be rooted but you must also be running CM7 or some other custom ROM ??

The reason I ask is that I have a rooted Nexus S 4G without the tethering plan from Sprint. After installing the .apk that the OP included in his post, and following his directions for changing the settings in the app, I still cannot tether successfully. My tablet (a rooted NookColor) can connect to the Nexus AP but always gives the message "Connected, but no internet".

Curious . . . .
    Yes you have to be rooted and using a custom rom or Peter Alfonso's tethering fix located at http://download.peteralfonso.com/crespo4g

10-29-2011 06:44 PM
    I already had a thread about using tether you should have just posted it there not make a whole new thread but thanks
    10-30-2011 05:09 AM
    Yes you have to be rooted and using a custom rom or Peter Alfonso's tethering fix located at Crespo4G - Peter Alfonso

Thank you for the info. Looks like I have some more reading to do!
    10-30-2011 09:59 AM
    Weird, I'm not seeing results like that. My 4G speeds are the same on my Nexus S 4G and my PC. About 6.5Mbps across the board.

apparently I just needed a reboot in order for the 4G speeds to kick in, because I'm up and tethered on 4G now! 6Mbps download on both phone and tethered PC.
    10-31-2011 07:33 PM
    apparently I just needed a reboot in order for the 4G speeds to kick in, because I'm up and tethered on 4G now! 6Mbps download on both phone and tethered PC.
    Glad you got it working! I was wondering why it wouldn't have worked. The key was to reboot.
    10-31-2011 09:53 PM
    I tried the main instructions and got everything working, but after I use Wifi Tether and then turn it off, it goes off OK. But the strange thing is that I still get voice and data, but I'm not connected to the Google services (i.e., the 3G and bars icons never turn back green). Additionally, while I can get data through a browser, I can't get mail through K-9 and Touchdown (Exchange). Odd behavior, no?

Anyone else see this and have a fix?
    11-07-2011 03:52 PM
    I tried the main instructions and got everything working, but after I use Wifi Tether and then turn it off, it goes off OK. But the strange thing is that I still get voice and data, but I'm not connected to the Google services (i.e., the 3G and bars icons never turn back green). Additionally, while I can get data through a browser, I can't get mail through K-9 and Touchdown (Exchange). Odd behavior, no?

Anyone else see this and have a fix?
    I get the same thing
    esoh likes this.
    11-08-2011 02:00 PM
    Genaro15243, thanks for confirming. This is what I'm doing now then:

1. Use GB built-in tethering to do 3G tethering via USB and hotspot (infrastructure mode)

2. Use Wifi tether 2.0 version to do 4G tethering hotspot (ad hoc) in those situations when I have it and need it.

Kind of a kludge, but works for me
    11-08-2011 02:16 PM
    I have a rooted Nexus S 4g (Sprint) and the stock ROM 2.3.7 with a radio of D720SPRKE1. If I wanted to install Peter Alfonso's "Tethering Fix For Nexus S 4G" is it as simple as:

1. copy the CRESPO4GTETHERFIX.zip file directly to the root of the internal SD card.
    2. boot the phone into the unlocked bootloader and choose "recovery".
    3. from the Clockworkmod menu choose to install the .zip file from #1.
    4. reboot the phone.

I know the question seems trivial to the more experienced people but I'm just starting with the rooted Nexus and would appreciate any help or advise.

Thanks . . . .
    11-09-2011 03:20 PM
    Yes, that's what I did.

Instructions from Pete's site.

http://www.peteralfonso.com/2011/08/...exus-s-4g.html
    11-10-2011 08:22 AM
    Yes, that's what I did.

Instructions from Pete's site.

Peter Alfonso: Download: Tethering Fix For Nexus S 4G
    Thank you VERY much!! Just did it and it works great.

Thanks again . . .
    11-10-2011 09:15 AM
    I have a rooted Nexus S 4g (Sprint) and the stock ROM 2.3.7 with a radio of D720SPRKE1. If I wanted to install Peter Alfonso's "Tethering Fix For Nexus S 4G" is it as simple as:

1. copy the CRESPO4GTETHERFIX.zip file directly to the root of the internal SD card.
    2. boot the phone into the unlocked bootloader and choose "recovery".
    3. from the Clockworkmod menu choose to install the .zip file from #1.
    4. reboot the phone.

I know the question seems trivial to the more experienced people but I'm just starting with the rooted Nexus and would appreciate any help or advise.

Thanks . . . .
    Thank you, thank you, thank you. I spent two days trying to figure out how to install that patch because I am a complete newbie to root. I watched countless videos on how to root and get wifi tether to work and had tried tirelessly to get that patch to work. Every time I tried with rom manager, the phone would reboot and then I would get a triangle with an exclamation point. This essentially locked up my phone (and completely freaked me out) and only way to fix would to remove battery. Your simple instructions had me fixed up in a few minutes.

Also, my other problem was that my Nexus was setting up an ad hoc network. So I installed wifi tether for root and chose nexus one as the phone, changed to Netd to get infrastructure mode and FINALLY my Acer A500 can see the signal and hook up. Only thing is, when I launch the wifi tether for root app, my native hotspot feature tries to start up - and this sems to block the tab from seeing the wifi again. About 30 seconds later, the little blue (native) tethering dissapears and I am rocking the wifi tether on my tab. It will spontaneously shut down (the phone) and reboot from time to time - but I can deal with that to have my data WORKING ON MY TAB :-) !!!

Any ideas on how to stop the native app from launching to clean things up a little? The weird thing is that the blue signal appears up top in the tray but if I go to the native hotspot launcher in settings, it is turned off. Honestly, I am scared to mess with it but if there is a way to disable it without too much tinkering, that would rock. I get the feeling that the native app is the thing that is rebooting the phone from time to time, but thst is just a guess.
    12-11-2011 06:46 PM
29 12