will ice cream sandwich's gpu acceleration be like dual core?

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
given that gpu acceleration offsets some of the processing from the cpu, will that make the phone act somewhat like it has dual cores, thus giving us a phone that is less likely to get bogged down by multiple tasks, or will the benefit be less noticeable than that?

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
No one can truthfully and honestly answer that till we have source or a phone that has a official update. I'm guessing you might notice a little difference. I personally think it will make the phone better then it already is. All the new features and controls that have been added to ICS are amazing.

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I played with a new build on a GSM Nexus S on 11/5.

I was struck again by how fast it was. Not that our phones aren't fast and snappy with Gbread, but I would expect ICS to be doing more.
Based on that very limited (and admittedly unscientific) observation, I think there is a good chance that the acceleration will be a noticeable improvement.

iBowToAndroid

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
given that gpu acceleration offsets some of the processing from the cpu, will that make the phone act somewhat like it has dual cores, thus giving us a phone that is less likely to get bogged down by multiple tasks, or will the benefit be less noticeable than that?

Yes there will be noticeable acceleration after the update. No it will not be like having dual cores, because the NS4G is not a dual-core phone. Yes there's a GPU and CPU, but that's not even close to the same thing as being dual-core.

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes there will be noticeable acceleration after the update. No it will not be like having dual cores, because the NS4G is not a dual-core phone. Yes there's a GPU and CPU, but that's not even close to the same thing as being dual-core.

It's too bad we won't be able to test for months and months and months. You poor guys who have to wait so long for new versions. By the time it lands on most dual core devices we'll be talking about the next big update.

LNWJ

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I think the OP was asking if it would be similar to the performance of a dual core running GB.

In which case.... it is a definite maybe. ;)