Going all in with Google

RickInHouston

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I've had the apple phone - been there, done that...

I've been on Android for over a year and currently sport the Nexus S. I really love it (only the browser lag drives me crazy. Takes forever for pages to finish loading!). I hope Ice Cream Sandwich fixes this. Anyway...

I'm going all in with Google. I set up a quick Gmail account when I first moved to android. My primary email account has always been an @comcast account. I prefer the Gmail UI on the phone (especially moving up or down with arrows on the bottom of the screen than on the top of the screen like the general email app) so I'm dropping my @comcast account.

In order to do this - I created a new google email account as my default account because the initial account to set the phone up was too generic. Let's just say Old@gmail.com and New@gmail.com are what I have.

My Google Music Beta and Market are under Old@gmail.com. Can these accounts be moved / changed to now be New@gmail? Especially my Google Music Beta that has 10,000 songs uploaded. I'd rather not do that again, but It wouldn't be entirely difficult.

This way I can delete Old@gmail and only use New@gmail.com. I guess I can always forward Old@gmail.com emails to New@gmail.com and not have to sync emails of my old account.

Questions are:

Can I change my Google Music Beta and Market account to New@Gmail account without having to upload too much data?

If I want to start uploading pictures to the cloud to sync between phone and tablet would it be best to use Picassa Web Album (even though it's public and can't be made private) or Google +?

Last edited:

simon.ponder

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I am not sure if you can move your music between Google accounts. You can however use more than one account on your phone, so simply link both accounts to the phone, and chose the Google music account for Google music.

Also use Google+, as it uses picassa as it's photo storage app. It's all behind the scenes, but after they are uploaded to Google+, they will even start showing back up on your phone, even if you delete them locally, as your phone will have the connection through Google+. You can control the privacy on Google+ also, so you only share what you want.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Google really makes it easy to "go all in". They offer so much and their services are convenient and innovative. But it still scares me to have Google control all of my communication and entertainment.

Last edited:

kalex

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
lol. I went all in with google a while ago and don't regret it. so far its been good and allows me to sync up all of my devices and computers

RickInHouston

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Realized it might be nice having Google music beta on an account that isn't my main default account in case I want to share it with my wife on her phone or tablet once I move her away from apple.

I guess its time to set up a Google + account.

Btw, lately android Gallery has been sitting at the top of listed running apps using battery. I force close it and it comes back. Any solutions to this?

kamtsa

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried to upload the 10000 music files to the new account? If Google Music does smart deduping it will not actually upload the files. I don't know though what it does.

RickInHouston

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm a bit of an audio freak. I have my main library in flac. I have a second duplicate library in mp3 at 320 kps. It's actually 16,807 songs. All bought mostly through CDs.

All are now uploaded. It took awhile but they are all there, now. Tagging is still hit or miss but Google says they are working on it. If I try to correct 'various artist' (mostly) tags they don't seem to stick.

iBowToAndroid

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I've had the apple phone - been there, done that...

I've been on Android for over a year and currently sport the Nexus S. I really love it (only the browser lag drives me crazy. Takes forever for pages to finish loading!). I hope Ice Cream Sandwich fixes this. Anyway...

I'm going all in with Google. I set up a quick Gmail account when I first moved to android. My primary email account has always been an @comcast account. I prefer the Gmail UI on the phone (especially moving up or down with arrows on the bottom of the screen than on the top of the screen like the general email app) so I'm dropping my @comcast account.

In order to do this - I created a new google email account as my default account because the initial account to set the phone up was too generic. Let's just say Old@gmail.com and New@gmail.com are what I have.

My Google Music Beta and Market are under Old@gmail.com. Can these accounts be moved / changed to now be New@gmail? Especially my Google Music Beta that has 10,000 songs uploaded. I'd rather not do that again, but It wouldn't be entirely difficult.

This way I can delete Old@gmail and only use New@gmail.com. I guess I can always forward Old@gmail.com emails to New@gmail.com and not have to sync emails of my old account.

Questions are:

Can I change my Google Music Beta and Market account to New@Gmail account without having to upload too much data?

If I want to start uploading pictures to the cloud to sync between phone and tablet would it be best to use Picassa Web Album (even though it's public and can't be made private) or Google +?

Music and Market definitely cannot be migrated. Some items can be transferred from one Google account to another, but not those two, from what I've seen. It would be most beneficial to keep using the same account, if it's at all possible.

Yes, Picasa is best - if you have Google+, you can turn on Instant Upload, and anything that you take is automatically uploaded to a private album that only you can see. You can also upload anything directly to any of your Picasa albums by using the "Share" option in the Gallery. Protip: You can get an extra 20 GB of Google storage for only $5 a year if you have a lot of pictures.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11