Oh crap... My phone went swimming...

derek5l

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
So, my sons nexus s 4g took a quick dive into his cup of water and he freaked out. We immediately tried to tale the battery out, dry it off amd put it in a sock of rice for a day or two. Seems pretty dry now. But I can not figure out how to proceed. It turns on just fine. But after it boots to the lock screen, it wont register my touches. Basically the touchscreen is funky. Any suggestions?

g00gl3it

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
It might have some hard water deposits on the circuitry. I had success in washing mine in rubbing alcohol (dunked the whole thing in).

But I did that before I ever turned it on, so not sure if that will help you now.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Don't dump your phone into alcohol. If you are having issues with the screen and have ins get a claim filed

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

enik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Don't dump your phone into alcohol. If you are having issues with the screen and have ins get a claim filed

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

If its water damage sensors are tripped he's going to have to pay out of pocket anyways. Might as well give it a shot. Nothing else to lose :p

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I thought insurance covered water, lost, etc. It was instore warranty and repair that wouldn't cover
water damange, thats when they checked the strips.
I'm saying $100 if non workable thru inursurance.

derek5l

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
no TEP on the phone. I read that just a day or two isn't sufficient enough to dry out. I packed it back up in rice yesterday and will continue to dry it out.

charn65

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
no TEP on the phone. I read that just a day or two isn't sufficient enough to dry out. I packed it back up in rice yesterday and will continue to dry it out.

If your rice method fails, try an dielectric electronics spray cleaner/degreaser. It cleans and dries almost instantly. Just make sure you spray it long enough to allow for a good cleaning. It dries about as fast as you spray it, and it displaces water.

If its your last ditch effort, it will be worth a shot before you shell out cash for another one.

Good luck!

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

charn65

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
thanks! Do you recommend a brand or store thatr sells it?

You can find it at any radio shack or automotive store. Just make sure its dielectric spray cleaner, any brand should work. I use it to clean mother boards on power wheelchair control modules when they get wet and dirty. Spray enough in to dissolve the dirt and drain out, after that, give it about 10 minutes to dry completely, it dries fast, but better safe than sorry here.

derek5l

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
okay, thanks. Im assuming that it wont require a complete teardown of the phone right? Just battery out and get in all the nooks and crannies?

charn65

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
okay, thanks. Im assuming that it wont require a complete teardown of the phone right? Just battery out and get in all the nooks and crannies?

As a last ditch effort, I would probably want to make sure you are getting to all the areas water was, so a break down of the chassis may be needed. Up to you though.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Must of been a heck of a swim, my Epic 4g took a swim for well over a minute in my 55 gallon fish tank thanks to my 3 year old... I immediately torn it down, hand dried everything best I could and then grabbed the hair dryer and on low heat/low fan speed gave it a good drying for a few minutes....

It booted up with a very sketchy display long enough for me to get into CWM and make a Nandroid Backup then the display went to a greenish black and never came back.. Afterward the CWM was making the backup I just pulled my battery then used Odin to flash my device back to complete stock (no display needed to accomplish this) and took it into Sprint... Surprisingly all the water indicators were good because they took a look around and found no sign of water damage and replaced the device.