This is basically a 3G phone. >:(

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I don't know about the rest of you, but I've found 4G to be not only inconsistent but it also causes my phone to restart. If I keep 4G off, my phone NEVER crashes or restarts. If I turn on 4G, it'll restart fairly often. Has anyone else noticed this?

(Also, on 4G, a lot of apps have issues connecting consistently and will hang)

cpolism

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't know about the rest of you, but I've found 4G to be not only inconsistent but it also causes my phone to restart. If I keep 4G off, my phone NEVER crashes or restarts. If I turn on 4G, it'll restart fairly often. Has anyone else noticed this?

i'm gonna go ahead and knock on wood here, but i've never had those problems with 4G on. And I have it on daily as i'm in a full 4G bars area.

NerdyNugget

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah about that with me living in Columbus, Ohio our 4G sucks but its never crashed my phone, yes it caused a few problems with my apps but not the OS as a whole

ashmiller

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Just be thankful that you get any 4G. I live with no 4G at all, however, this phone works perfectly well as a pure 3G+WiFi Google experience.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

Your phone is completely stock, right?

opteron7

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I only turn on 4g when I'm at home or at my when driving its 3g it's fast enough for GPS and Google nav

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Yep. No rooting or anything. Why, would that help?
No it won't necessarily help, but it definitely narrows things down instead of having a frankenstein mess of things to sort through.

When 4G goes idle, it has to re-wake back up. That in and of itself causes things to hang every now and then even when Im in a strong 4G area. If you're in a weak area to begin with then I could see it crashing the phone.

DeathsArrow

May 16, 2010
Visit site
4G has spotty coverage, it's just the way the technology is and it's not going to get any better as Sprint is transitioning away from WiMax and going to LTE.

Other than inconsistent speeds and connection quality which isn't the phone's fault, 4G works okay for me.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
4g works pretty good in Chicago. Fast and reliable.

Ditto that lol in Chicago 4G works pretty good I just don't get why instead of sprint tryin to fix the wimax network they completely switching to lte so what bout us nexus 4G owners????

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
WiMAX can't really BE fixed, it's kind of dead.

They're moving to LTE because it's faster than WiMAX, has better building penetration, and is probably easier to push out than WiMAX....not to mention WiMAX radios suck to work on (there was trouble getting those to work on the ICS NS4G binaries at first). LTE radios are already used by Verizon so I'm sure they'll be a bit easier.

The current 3G will be boosted by Network Vision, Sprint claims. How much? We don't know right now.

mickie98

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
What about us? Wimax will still be here much good that will do us when they are rolling out LTE.
Sprint in their eagerness to declare the new standard '4G' bought out Wimax in partnership with Clear which didn't really work. I am in the middle of Dallas with Wimax (for that is really what it is not 4G) all around me and I live in a dead zone go figure. I knew that before I got the phone but it still rankles. Then ATT Verizon and Tmob all declared their systems were 4G so who knows what fourth generation really is.
All I really know is for a high tech phone, data on the Nexus S in combination with Sprints network is as slow as cold molasses. I don't even bother unless I am on Wifi. And forget 4G.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
WiMAX will be around until the end of next year. By that time, we won't want our current phones anyway and should have upgraded.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
And plus I think once sprint get this lte up and runnin they go pull a Verizon and start that capping BS I get a good strong two or three bars of 4g on the west side of Chicago and full 4g downtown

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech