IYO: Why upgrade to the Galaxy Nexus from Nexus S 4G?

vincentallen2

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I just read this on the AndroidCentral front page:
http://m.androidcentral.com/head-head-samsung-galaxy-nexus-and-iphone-4s
It comapares the Fruity-Tooty Phone to the Galaxy Nexus (great review by the way)

While reading the specs, I couldn't help but notice all the similarities to the current Nexus S 4G. Why upgrade? They both have a 5meg pixel camera, they both have the weird slopey shape on the battery cover, they both have curved Super AMOLED Touch Screens, and they both will have untouched ice cream sandwich os on them.

The reason why the GN has a bigger screen than the NS4G is because they removed the capacitative buttons (which I've come to love :D).
The only big difference is that samsung added a dual core processor.

Why upgrade to the GN when you can basically have all the same main features with a NS4G. What makes us different than all those people upgrading from the iPhone 4 to the 4S?

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Re: IYO: Why upgrade to the Galaxy Nexus from Nexus S 4g?

i feel the same way....

especially considering the fact that the Nexus S 4G and the Galaxy Nexus have the exact same GPU (just overclocked in the GNex). If you want just insane speed then I guess, but I'm sure the Nexus S's GPU can be overclocked as well, so I don't even know why you would waste money upgrading (except to ensure you have JellyBean).

also, I'm sure there will be features left out of the Nexus S's ICS that the GNex has, such as faster camera shutter and stuff; similarly to how Apple had to take Siri for non-4s users, Google will have to make SOME incentives to get people to buy the GNex.

vincentallen2

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

I didn't think of it like that, lack of features. But I just can't see them denying us android 5.0, especially since its a "Nexus" and it was just released a couple months ago =\

If they do drop NS4G when jellybean is released, then samsung truly isn't any different than that fruit cake maker :mad:

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

Guys are really helping the cause with all the fruit bashing.

Its not even funny, or clever.

vincentallen2

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

I'm sorry if anyone was offended by me calling the iPhone out of its name

Zerocool84

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Dual core, 720p screen, zero-shudder lag camera, and first to get updates for ICS. I won't get it though as the phone would be too huge for me. I feel like the Nexus S is the perfect size.

rem_kujawa

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Dual core, 720p screen, zero-shudder lag camera, and first to get updates for ICS. I won't get it though as the phone would be too huge for me. I feel like the Nexus S is the perfect size.
Isn't it the same camera hardware? So wouldn't the shudder lag be fixed when ICS comes out?

iBowToAndroid

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site

Also double the RAM, more storage, better cameras, etc.

Isn't it the same camera hardware? So wouldn't the shudder lag be fixed when ICS comes out?

No it's different hardware

philbw

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
... and first to get updates for ICS...

But not first to get ICS i think to myself as i read this on a Nexus S running an ICS port. This unofficial port runs fantasticly, if the official release runs anything like this then i really dont feel the need for a Galaxy Nexus.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Heres how i see it. I got the nexus s on release. Love it. If you got it keep it. Youll get ics or have an asop build now if your rooted. When the next nexus comes out next year with 5.0 the s will be done. However the galaxy will go one more year. So in 2013 you upgrade for the next nexus with 5.0 and youll get 6.0 then 7.0 you uograde.Thats how it goes these days.

Stay with the phone you got until its done getting updates. You might be able to hold on alittle longer if ports get made. But the way it goes. You get a phone with an os. You get the update for the next one. The one after you upgrade when your due and your phone is done.

w5cyc

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Assuming a Galaxy flavor comes to Sprint, I'll upgrade for the bigger screen alone. I came to the Nexus S from an EVO, and the smaller display is hard to get used to again. Scaled down keyboards on smaller displays especially. And while I'm not blind, I do prefer to use large fonts for whatever programs I can. No use straining your eyes if you don't have to. Bigger displays make larger fonts more workable.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Assuming a Galaxy flavor comes to Sprint, I'll upgrade for the bigger screen alone. I came to the Nexus S from an EVO, and the smaller display is hard to get used to again. Scaled down keyboards on smaller displays especially. And while I'm not blind, I do prefer to use large fonts for whatever programs I can. No use straining your eyes if you don't have to. Bigger displays make larger fonts more workable.

The screen is def something i wish i had. Hope they dont go smaller next time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL