12-18-2011 08:50 PM
65 123
tools
    I'm also a palm pre convert and I can say that I have no regrets about the switch (except for email not being able to handle zooming... c'mon that should be a basic requirement). I was concerned about signal issues, but the nexus I picked up has equal or better reception than my old pre. It seems that there are definitely some crappy nexus phones out there out there, but I think that is true with any phone.

I live in an area without 4G (according to Sprint maps), but I have picked up 4G signal walking around my neighborhood, so I consider myself extra lucky
    12-02-2011 06:39 AM
    I believe my 3G reception is actually better than my Epic's 3G reception. I'm not going to say it's dramatically better...I still get only 2/4 bars (I hate using that term, but I don't routinely look at the dbm's). But, it's better.

If I compare my Nexus to my wife's iPhone 4, her download speeds and reception are better than mine (on 3G, that is). I don't get 4G in my house, and it's not that great in my 'hood, so Sprint is an issue as well.
    12-02-2011 08:11 AM
    The sound on the phone is lousy. Too soft, electronic warbles/beeps while streaming media on wifi. Phone overall is nice, I like having it rooted but its not a media powerhouse.
    Compared to my Epic, I agree with your regarding the media. The Epic was much better in terms of its camera and media. I do agree with you, however, regarding the sound. Phone reception is much better than the Epic and music/video is just fine for me.

Maybe you have a bum phone. With the thousands of these things that are made, there's bound to be some bum phones out there.

Plus, the fact that you are on a discussion forum suggests that you are particular about your phone(s) and probably are extra critical about the quality and performance -- we all are. Could be sprint. Could be your settings. Overall, however, I think the exprience you are having is very different from the mass of NS4G users.
    12-02-2011 08:15 AM
    I think Samsung just has poor quality control on their component suppliers. I have been through three NS4Gs, and all of them have had terrible reception, no matter where I go. Since the problem isn't consistent, but it widespread enough to reliably rule out ID-10T issues and occasional bad hardware, I can only assume that perhaps they get the radios from a variety of vendors, and one of them makes crap chips.

Are there enough for a class action? No, it'd never go anywhere; no consumer attorney would take up the cause for an obsolete phone.

At least you didn't have a Sprint employee tell you that smartphones aren't intended to make voice calls, so the signal isn't an issue.
    12-02-2011 08:48 AM
    For what it is worth, I am very happy with my Nexus S 4g - I came from an HTC EVO 4g and a Palm Pre before that and overall, this is by far the best phone. Also, am happy with Android - it may not be as intuitive as the Pre, however, it does so much more.

As far as I can tell from reading your posts, it seems either that you have a very, very defective phone or maybe picked up a bad app. Honestly, this phone rocks.
    12-03-2011 01:17 AM
    You can't image how pleased I am with the nexus. My first cell phone was the original razor, then the old version of the T-Mobile sidekick, which I used for years. Then of course the epic 4g. So as far as a true smartphone, the epic was really my first. I was very happy with the epic. However the reason I got got the epic is, really the reason I left the epic. I had to have a mechanical keyboard. After having it almost a year, I found that I never used the keyboard and felt that since I never used the keyboard, I would like a thinner phone.

I chose the nexus s because I wanted a thinner phone but couldn't do without the beautiful colors of the super amoled screen. I also had (should I say) some very bad experiences rooting the epic with Odin. Nothing I did wrong just an Odin thing. So the nexus with the ease of rooting became my choice.

I have to say, Even though I don't really see a great speed difference with nexus over the epic. I'm very happy with my choice. Being pure Google, definitely takes some getting used to, as it is missing (out of the box) many of the things I've come to expect in a smart phone. Such as a 4g Toggle, a short cut to your files, an SD card slot and voice mail all preloaded. However all of these items (except the sd card) are available in the market and it didn't take much work getting it all setup on the phone.

Needless to say, I'm already rooted (big thanks to Paul) and enjoying the benifits of loading roms and customizing it to meet my needs and preferences. So far I haven't seen any of the issues posted by the op. I am very happy with my decision to get the nexus. This is a very capable device and will definitely hold me over until my upgrade in June. I have every intention of staying with the nexus line of phones so long as sprint carries them.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    12-03-2011 07:11 AM
    me thinks the op is a troll and one or two posters are part of a troll campaign

wpbfjr on the road
    Excuse me?!! Because I have a valid reoccurring issue with the phone you accuse me of being a TROLL?? Go iPhone yourself. I have TWO Android products: A first gen Galaxy Tab 3G (LOVE it) and the craptastic Nexus S 4G. Want to love it, but it doesn't stay connected long enough for me to justify keeping it. Btw, this is NOT the first time that I have posted on these forums.
    12-03-2011 02:02 PM
    There are too many great suggestions here for me to quote. Sorry, been a busy, busy week and haven't had a chance to check back earlier. Anyway, I *did* remove the FB app to see if that was the issue. No dice. I work at a university with mad crazy strong wifi everywhere. I cannot get the NS4G to connect to either 3G or wifi in ANY of the buildings??? 4G is not an option is this area yet unless you are in the parking lot of the Sprint corporate store which is across from the tower they claim to be "testing" 4G on. Even then, the 4G works for a few minutes at best.

I tested this in the buildings I work between with my Galaxy Tab. I am able to connect to both 3G and wifi with very strong signals on both on the Galaxy Tab.

I am seriously ready to run my Jeep over this phone. I have insurance. Might be a plan.
    12-03-2011 02:09 PM
    After spending a week out of town visiting my old home town with NO SIGNAL whatsoever on my Sprint NS4G while my brother's Sprint Epic and my Sprint 3G Galaxy Tab both had beautiful 3G signal, I am **this** close to suggesting a class action lawsuit against Samsung/Google/Sprint regarding the absolutely defective NS4G. WTH??? I drop calls constantly, have horrific data connection, almost non-existant 3G (right in front of the Sprint tower in our town)! I am sooo freaking sick of it. And, now, I am trapped by this device for the 2 year contract because Sprint killed off Premier.

Anyone out there have any luck getting a replacement device from Sprint after the initial 30 days? And by replacement I mean another model/make device--NOT another defective Nexus. I have had this piece of unusable plastic since the end of August. I am really ready to pay the ETF and take my business to Verizon if Sprint does not do something to rectify the fact that the Nexus S4G is a total and absolute LEMON.

***Vent over***
    Your right you should make a class action. Ill join just shoot me a pm.

Sent from my Google Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    12-03-2011 02:33 PM
    I'm not the only one and this has been an ongoing issue with these devices:
    Sprint to update Nexus S 4G to address signal problems | ZDNet
    12-03-2011 02:59 PM
    I just got off the phone with Sprint retention. They need to send me to the corporate store (again) but when I told the rep that I would not be satisfied with a repair she said "Oh, you don't need to worry about that. Not on a Nexus." So, I said "You mean they get alot of returns?" and she said, "Yeah. Unfortunately, the Nexus has issues that we've been unable to resolve."

I must say, I did not expect that kind of admission. However, I must also say that given the track record of my phone, I am not at all surprised.

Anyway, I will give an update on what happens at the Sprint store. I am sad that this device does not live up to expectations, but I cannot keep going through this connectivity issue.
    12-03-2011 04:15 PM
    Anxious to hear what they tell you in the Sprint store. As I've posted before, I've been given the runaround in 2 stores and through Sprint chat online. They "tested" my ns4g and deemed it ok. Yet, in my office building even near a window, I'm roaming and even today, stepped outside of the mall and went to open my browser and it took a looooong time to fully open my homepage (google.com).
    12-03-2011 04:46 PM
    The customer retention rep actually looked at my account and said that she could see where I have had connectivity issues. I did not know they could see that stuff. Anyway, I made it clear that I either get a new device (and a different device model) or I am cancelling my three accounts. It's not that I want to leave Sprint, I am generally quite pleased with them, but this can't continue. I need a phone that works.
    12-03-2011 06:33 PM
    The customer retention rep actually looked at my account and said that she could see where I have had connectivity issues. I did not know they could see that stuff. Anyway, I made it clear that I either get a new device (and a different device model) or I am cancelling my three accounts. It's not that I want to leave Sprint, I am generally quite pleased with them, but this can't continue. I need a phone that works.
    Sorry to hear that....

The best your probably going to get is some very mid grade level smart phones as an option for a device exchange unless you get really and I mean really lucky....

I did the same threat to Sprint after almost ten years with em and 3 phones and the manager in the retentions department told me Goodbye, basically have fun spending more at another carrier... She was as quick as to tell me how much it was going to cost me to pay the early contract break fee and my current balance.. !

I finally got what I wanted out of my local store reps and not Sprint themselves...
    12-03-2011 06:38 PM
    I went to my local sprint store and gave them my odin bricked epic. And told them it was dead. I gave it to them overnight and they of course couldn't fix it. I went back the next day and they had a shiny new epic for me already activated. I told them I didn't want another epic and to give me something else. They offered me either a evo 3d, a droid or the Nexus s4g, I told them the Nexus. When they said it would be 1 or 2 days, I told them I couldn't be without a phone for that long. So they gave me the epic that they were going to give me in the 1st place) as a loaner until my Nexus was in. I think I was treated very well.
    12-03-2011 07:27 PM
    I came from the worst phone in the world, the Samsung Moment so even a bag of crap would have been better. I think the Nexus S is a great phone and my reception troubles were fixed with the update we got a while ago.
    12-03-2011 07:42 PM
    I'm not the only one and this has been an ongoing issue with these devices:
    Sprint to update Nexus S 4G to address signal problems | ZDNet
    That update went out a while ago.
    12-04-2011 12:51 AM
    I don't feel ripped off. I just got the Nexus phone a couple of weeks and it came with 2.3.7. I could see you having issues when they were first release. At the moment I have more cons then pros for the nexus.
    Cons-
    - to slippery (fixed by buying zagg protector)
    -4g not great when moving or in the car
    -MS active sync does not work(hopefully Google fixes this and yes its a documented issue with Google)
    -power button should have been placed somewhere else. To many times have I pressed power button while watching Netflix or when showing pics or just taking pics.
    -tether and hotspots disabled. Even though you still have the option.
    - home screen becomes unresponsive news to reboot

Pros -
    Love everything else about it. Especially Google voice now that's pure awesomeness.

Been using a blackberry for over 6 years. I just had to get familiar with touchpad keyboard.
    Okay time to get off the toilet.

12-04-2011 10:14 AM
    I don't feel ripped off. I just got the Nexus phone a couple of weeks and it came with 2.3.7. I could see you having issues when they were first release. At the moment I have more cons then pros for the nexus.
    Cons-
    - to slippery (fixed by buying zagg protector)
    -4g not great when moving or in the car
    -MS active sync does not work(hopefully Google fixes this and yes its a documented issue with Google)
    -power button should have been placed somewhere else. To many times have I pressed power button while watching Netflix or when showing pics or just taking pics.
    -tether and hotspots disabled. Even though you still have the option.
    - home screen becomes unresponsive news to reboot

Pros -
    Love everything else about it. Especially Google voice now that's pure awesomeness.

Been using a blackberry for over 6 years. I just had to get familiar with touchpad keyboard.
    Okay time to get off the toilet.

I didn't know ms active sync worked with non-windows phones, learn something new everyday =o
    12-04-2011 10:26 AM
    I didn't know ms active sync worked with non-windows phones, learn something new everyday =o
    IPhone 4(s) have Ms active sync and it works great with my co workers. Currently using touchdown works great.

12-04-2011 10:49 AM
    Yeah, I know. It was when my phone was still new. Like an ***** I "waited" for the update past my return period because the reps at the store told me it would fix the signal issues. It has not. It seemed somewhat more stable at first, but now is just utterly ridiculous.
    12-04-2011 02:06 PM
    Went to store today. No luck there. Just a rude employee who refused to even look at my account. OMG. I am sooo really leaning toward Verizon. I can't get over how nasty this rep was and would not give me regional manager's contact info either. Literally refused. So, I got it anyway of the Internets. Go figure? I will be calling about this rep because even if they cannot fix my phone's issue, they should at least be polite. They are polite at Verizon.
    12-04-2011 02:10 PM
    Went to store today. No luck there. Just a rude employee who refused to even look at my account. OMG. I am sooo really leaning toward Verizon. I can't get over how nasty this rep was and would not give me regional manager's contact info either. Literally refused. So, I got it anyway of the Internets. Go figure? I will be calling about this rep because even if they cannot fix my phone's issue, they should at least be polite. They are polite at Verizon.
    I have had more negative experiences with Verizon than sprint

Sent from my iPride 4G
    12-04-2011 02:17 PM
    Speaking from experience, Sprint's reps can get pretty down right rude... Then again any CS reps can... Take make a long story short I originally came in with a defective display on my Epic 4g. Three broken out of the box refurbs later in a 2 week period (I'm not kidding) I finally jumped on the phone for a second round with Sprint higher ups. My first go around didn't go good and I went as high as a manager in the retentions & customer service department. She was down right rude, we got into a shouting match on the phone and she basically told me to deal with it or take my business else where...

Anyways after my 3rd refurb replacement went bad after activating it, I finally said enough and got back on the phone and found a lady that was willing to play ball. She was polite, she said we can't offer you a new device for something that is 9 months old but the system automatically after 3 refurbs gives the option of a device exchange to a different model of equal or lesser value. At the time it was the Evo Shift, Nexus S 4G & the Kyocera or a 4th shot at another Epic 4g.

Initial complaint Epic 4g (inoperative display)
    #1 Refurb, (2 days later) Epic 4g came with non working WIFI and broken sdcard.
    #2 Refurb, (2 days later) Epic 4g was activated and started doing boot loops right there in the store... Couldn't be resolved with factory resets, etc..
    #3 Refurb (5 days later due to weekend) came with a broken mic.. Smartphone worked great, could receive phone calls but nobody could here me talk...
    #4 Refurb/Device Exchange (3 days later) Nexus S 4G... Worked great and still going 3 plus months later....

Bottom line, Asurion which Sprint and other carriers use for their warranty/replacement service program stated after all this that their devices are heavily tested and go through many steps of testing before being released back out into circulation. They claim I just had bad luck receiving so many problems at the same location, one after another...

Knowing that the Epic 4g was getting old and running out of time for future updates I wanted to get on something different and always wanted a Nexus S 4G so I decided to go that route. It was painless, no charges to me and even though it was a refurbed NS4G I was given because this all happens through TEP/Asurion and not Sprint themselves, I have been very lucky and received a fully functional and well working NS4G.

In the end I did get Sprint to credit me for 2 weeks of interrupted service while I was going from one bad refurb to another. I did learn a lesson in CS and cellular companies, it doesn't matter who or what company your working with bottom line they don't care... Really.. With millions of customers what is one here or one there and with all their catch 22's they have to cover their butts with early terminations they know no matter what they get their money out of you regardless of how the situation is resolved.

I wish you the best of luck if you go to Verizon or some other carrier but eventually one day you may face the same situation with CS. The amount of devices that are mass produced and the amount that make it through inspection and still "fail" to perform as expected happens on all makes and models and carriers... Its just the nature of the beast...
    12-04-2011 03:29 PM
    I often wonder... Do you get more when your nice or spewing **** and vinegar. I've never had a problem with any Sprint employee, hell my store fixed my old out of warranty phone for free 6 times
    Angrygimp likes this.
    12-04-2011 03:36 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD