First off, I love my nexus and I'm glad I switched... however, one area where I find myself disappointed is the email apps. I have google, yahoo, and comcast emails that I am trying to setup. In webos, it was easy - enter user name and password, set it to get emails as they arrive (google and yahoo) and I was done. Once setup google and yahoo were pushing emails to my phone and HTML emails were easily handled with zooming and proper formatting... these are my 2 biggest gripes with Android email: push and HTML formatting.

Here is what I have tried:
    1) gmail app - pros: threaded views, push (gmail only). cons: gmail only, no zooming with HTML emails
    2) stock email app - pros: able to setup all 3 email accounts. cons: no zoom and no push
    3) maildroid - pros: ability to zoom and push capable. cons - did not like the layout, laggy, ads
    4) K-9 - pros: zoom, push capable, free. cons - pushing of yahoo account does not work, documentation

I know that google wants me to pull all my yahoo and comcast email into gmail and then use the gmail app, but that's not the way I want to work. And why can't google figure out something as basic as HTML email formatting?

What do you use for email and does it address my 2 gripes? I singled out former webos users since the webos email app worked flawlessly, but everyone is free to answer
    12-05-2011 12:01 PM
    I'm a former webOS user as well. However, I only use GMail. That being said, the e-mail app I use is "Enhanced Email" by Quantum Solutions. I've been using it for a few weeks and it works very nicely and will work with multiple accounts.
    12-05-2011 12:39 PM
    Try K-9 email...
    12-05-2011 12:40 PM
    You could try an ICS ROM. The email app in ICS is better....still doesn't push though I don't think

Sent from my Ice Cream Sandwich
    12-05-2011 12:58 PM
    Try K-9 email...
    You could try an ICS ROM. The email app in ICS is better....still doesn't push though I don't think

Sent from my Ice Cream Sandwich
    wow
    jimijames likes this.
    12-05-2011 01:07 PM
    You can also try setting up GMail and Yahoo as an exchange activesync account to get push support in mail clients that don't provide the default option. Do a google search to get the settings to accomplish this.
    12-05-2011 01:13 PM
    I just setup all my other email to forward mail to my gmail account. I know you said you didn't want to do it that way but you can make multiple gmail accounts for each of the other accounts. That way they are still separated.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    12-05-2011 01:53 PM
    wow
    wow

....see I can quote and just say wow too...
    12-05-2011 03:10 PM
    wow

....see I can quote and just say wow too...
    reported
    12-05-2011 03:44 PM
    This won't really help you, but for a data point, I'm a webOS refugee and K-9 user myself. I don't use push, and my two accounts are both regular IMAP, unix-based. K-9 has some annoyances for me, mainly UI-based, but it works for the way I use it.
    12-05-2011 03:45 PM
    I just setup all my other email to forward mail to my gmail account. I know you said you didn't want to do it that way but you can make multiple gmail accounts for each of the other accounts. That way they are still separated.

Hmm, interesting... I didn't think of multiple gmail accounts. Might have to look into this.
    12-06-2011 06:56 AM
    You could forward everything to Gmail and then use labels to identify which account the messages came from.
    12-06-2011 11:28 AM
    This won't really help you, but for a data point, I'm a webOS refugee and K-9 user myself. I don't use push, and my two accounts are both regular IMAP, unix-based. K-9 has some annoyances for me, mainly UI-based, but it works for the way I use it.
    This is what I do, too. I have three accounts, one IMAP, one POP3, and one Gmail. I'm quite happy with K-9 now that I've "moved in". It did take a bit of work to get everything set up the way I wanted, though.
    12-06-2011 11:43 AM
    This is what I do, too. I have three accounts, one IMAP, one POP3, and one Gmail. I'm quite happy with K-9 now that I've "moved in". It did take a bit of work to get everything set up the way I wanted, though.
    I never had much luck with k-9 mail. I would often go all day without a message. Go home to my computer and find 20 messages. Forward the mail to my gmail and I will get the mail delivered within 5 seconds of the server receiving it.

12-06-2011 08:04 PM
    First off, I love my nexus and I'm glad I switched... however, one area where I find myself disappointed is the email apps. I have google, yahoo, and comcast emails that I am trying to setup. In webos, it was easy - enter user name and password, set it to get emails as they arrive (google and yahoo) and I was done. Once setup google and yahoo were pushing emails to my phone and HTML emails were easily handled with zooming and proper formatting... these are my 2 biggest gripes with Android email: push and HTML formatting.

Here is what I have tried:
    1) gmail app - pros: threaded views, push (gmail only). cons: gmail only, no zooming with HTML emails
    2) stock email app - pros: able to setup all 3 email accounts. cons: no zoom and no push
    3) maildroid - pros: ability to zoom and push capable. cons - did not like the layout, laggy, ads
    4) K-9 - pros: zoom, push capable, free. cons - pushing of yahoo account does not work, documentation

I know that google wants me to pull all my yahoo and comcast email into gmail and then use the gmail app, but that's not the way I want to work. And why can't google figure out something as basic as HTML email formatting?

What do you use for email and does it address my 2 gripes? I singled out former webos users since the webos email app worked flawlessly, but everyone is free to answer
    The official Yahoo app in the Market works well for Yahoo - push, syncing of all folders, contacts if you want them, etc. 3 email accounts is a pain though - I find myself annoyed with just 2. Any way to eliminate the Comcast, or the Yahoo if you really can't part with Comcast?
    12-06-2011 10:29 PM
    How is 3 email accounts a pain? I have three, and it's never caused me any trouble at all.
    12-06-2011 11:29 PM
    I never had much luck with k-9 mail. I would often go all day without a message. Go home to my computer and find 20 messages. Forward the mail to my gmail and I will get the mail delivered within 5 seconds of the server receiving it.

Was it set to sync? I intentionally set the gmail account to only sync manually, so I only get gmail about once a day on the gadget. The others are set to sync regularly.

One thing I like about k9 is that it gives feedback when it is syncing, so I can tell by watching the notification bar whether it is working. On rare occasions it stops working, and I kill it and restart it, and then it works again. I get a lot of mail, so if I haven't gotten anything new in a couple of hours I assume there's a problem and check it. I typically go for a few weeks between having to restart K9.
    12-06-2011 11:33 PM
    Was it set to sync? I intentionally set the gmail account to only sync manually, so I only get gmail about once a day on the gadget. The others are set to sync regularly.

One thing I like about k9 is that it gives feedback when it is syncing, so I can tell by watching the notification bar whether it is working. On rare occasions it stops working, and I kill it and restart it, and then it works again. I get a lot of mail, so if I haven't gotten anything new in a couple of hours I assume there's a problem and check it. I typically go for a few weeks between having to restart K9.
    Absolutely was set to sync. I tried it for almost for two weeks on my Epic. After several email discussions with the Dev, I gave up on it and just setup all my pop and smtp accounts to forward my mail to my gmail account and never had a.problem again.

12-07-2011 05:24 AM
    So I think I've settled on a setup with K-9...first, K-9 does a good job with pinch to zoom and handles google push email just fine. As for yahoo, I've decided just to poll every few hours. I guess I really don't need my emails as they arrive...I think I was making too big a deal of this - darn instant gratification culture we live in
    12-07-2011 07:34 AM
    I set one of my accounts to poll every 10 minutes.
    12-07-2011 09:39 AM
    Meh. I'm quite happy with the GMail app. When I'm at work, I often notice the email notification pop up...and when I go to GMail on my workstation the email hasn't even shown up there yet. I really can't think of a single non-advertising email where zooming would be useful.

I DO wish I could change the look of the GMail app to resemble the default email. I like the white on black theme. Personal preference.
    12-07-2011 02:00 PM
    I also prefer the white on black.

12-07-2011 05:04 PM
    I'm a WebOS refugee as well. I have been fairly successfully using a combination of K-9 and the gmail app. In most instances I don't have a need or want to have email instantaneously pushed to me, so that is not an issue for me. But I do still have a couple of gripes:

1. I dislike having to use 2 separate apps for email because it seems to me that it means two separate apps are loading into memory and consuming resources. On WebOS the built in app easily handled multiple accounts. I have considered the possibility of just using K-9, but I have a fear of the unknown. Most of my phone syncing happens through my gmail account. If I delete that account, I think I risk messing up my contact and calendar syncing? I initially added my gmail account to K-9, but then I kept getting duplicate notifications of every email in my gmail account. So I have just stuck with using both apps.

2. Both K-9 and Gmail app are just plain dreary looking! This phone has a great screen, but you certainly wouldn't know it by looking at the email apps.
    12-08-2011 05:46 PM
    I'm a WebOS refugee as well. I have been fairly successfully using a combination of K-9 and the gmail app. In most instances I don't have a need or want to have email instantaneously pushed to me, so that is not an issue for me. But I do still have a couple of gripes:

1. I dislike having to use 2 separate apps for email because it seems to me that it means two separate apps are loading into memory and consuming resources. On WebOS the built in app easily handled multiple accounts. I have considered the possibility of just using K-9, but I have a fear of the unknown. Most of my phone syncing happens through my gmail account. If I delete that account, I think I risk messing up my contact and calendar syncing? I initially added my gmail account to K-9, but then I kept getting duplicate notifications of every email in my gmail account. So I have just stuck with using both apps.

2. Both K-9 and Gmail app are just plain dreary looking! This phone has a great screen, but you certainly wouldn't know it by looking at the email apps.
    Regarding #1... I use K-9 for gmail. Keep your account setup in the gmail app, but to disable the duplicate notifications: from the inbox view pull up the menu -> more -> settings -> click on your account name -> scroll to the bottom and uncheck Email notifications. Now you will only get K-9 notifications. You are correct however, the gmail app and account control all your syncing of contacts, calendar, etc, so don't try to delete it (I don't even think you can) or disable syncing (in the account settings from the account view... yes confusing).

Can't help with #2....but it is difficult to make email look sexy

Once setup correctly, I find k-9 to be a good webos email app equivalent.
    12-09-2011 06:12 AM
    Ditto. I turned off all notifications from gmail, and removed the icon for the app from prime real estate, and never open it. It's still there, and it still syncs all the stuff that Android requires be synced though your gmail account, but I am pretty-much unaware of it. If someone sends me mail through gmail it shows up in my K9 folders, I get a K9 notification, and I reply to it (if needed) through the K9 interface. Everything is visible in the K9 "unified inbox", just like on the Pre.
    12-09-2011 05:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD