HELP. Google Maps Battery Drain

vg7702

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
The update to Google Maps 6.0 and then 6.0.1 has caused google maps to represent 30-40% of my battery use. I can only go about 5 hours with no use before my battery needs to be charged. I have uninstalled all apps and even did a factory reset but still have this excessive battery drain. Any tips on how prevent this.

Habious

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm having this problem too. Saw a crazy amount of battery drain (and my phone was warm in my hand)yesterday...and this is with a 3900 mAh battery!

I checked my battery stats and it said that "Maps" had used like 27% of my battery since last charge (took the phone off the charger that morning)...but I hadn't launched maps that day at all.

Just looked now...I'm 2:30 off charger...and "Maps" is showing 35% of my battery use...and I haven't launched it today.

Habious

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Can you revert to an earlier version? Or do you have just uninstall and live without the app?

I use the poop out of Google Maps (the "traffic" feature is invaluable here in the DC metro area). It would be missed.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
If you guys are using Latitude you might want to sign out of that. I know that can kill a battery
I'm running an ICS build so it's not an apples to apples but I don't see any issues with maps.

clindner

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
YES! I am having this problem as well. I was thinking I had something screwed up on my phone, but it is good to know I'm not alone. Well, not good for the rest of you, but good that hopefully the Goog will fix it in short order.

I've been rebooting once or twice a day to clear it. It doesn't do it from the beginning but seems to hang at some point. And you can tell when it is sucking the battery, because the phone becomes nearly unresponsive. It is really pegging the CPU!

vg7702

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Tried the update to 6.0.2 and still have the same issue. I did uninstall this version and went back to factory version which is 5.4 and the problem seems to go away. I do wish Google would fix this issue so people can use the latest versions of there apps. Maybe ICS will solve this problem.

clindner

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I had the app hang up again tonight, so I uninstalled. It is strange, since I haven't used Maps at all. When it happens, I know because the GPS icon stays stuck on the notification area. It doesn't blink like when it is searching for location, just solid.

Quatrix

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
For me it's been a problem ever since version 5.4. Maps keeps accessing the the GPS in the background, even with Latitude disabled. What's interesting is that when I check the Maps battery usage, the GPS time is always in increments of exactly 2 minutes (2, 4, or 6). If I uninstall updates and go back to the stock version, Maps stops sucking battery power in the background.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish