Just trying to solve a little dilemma... The wife needs a new phone, and has been drooling over just about any Android smartphone she can. We're stuck with Sprint, so jumping carriers is a no-go. Right now, her phone is elgible for a full upgrade. The three on the table are the Nexus S (Which I have), the SGS2, and the Photon.

The Nexus S is free right now, which is a huge plus... In the 7 months I've had it, I haven't had a single problem with it that wasn't fixed by a simple reboot (usually after downloading/installing a bunch of new apps). If there is a way to crash it, I know she'll find a way.

The other two... No clue? I know the battery life, proc, RAM, and camera are better on the SGS2 and Photon, but for the price of 'FREE', is it really worth the extra coin for either of the other two? Aside from having a fancier interface (when I mentioned it, she said, 'so what?'), is there anything the other two can do that the Nexus can't?

I also briefly considered the EVO 4g, but isn't that a three year old phone for all intents and purposes?
    12-20-2011 12:08 PM
    I know the Photon has a great radio... Friend had that had said reception was excellent with the Photon radios...

SGS2 we know will get updated to ICS in early-mid 2012 so that is one bonus there.....

Probably the next biggest question is how does she feel about manufacture UI overlays and bloatware? Bloat we can remove with root... UI's... thats a little different story...
    12-20-2011 01:01 PM
    I'm pretty sure she just doesn't care at all what she gets... UI or bloat-ware, I strongly suspect she'll take whatever she gets and not be too fussy over it. My concern with either of them is just that: Their bloatware. If/when she has issues, I will have no clue how hers is set up to work. At least if we have the same phone, there a remote chance of me being able to help troubleshoot it. (If there's any possible way she can crash it, she'll find it!!)

She's not exactly a power user at the moment as this would be her first smartphone (coming from a Samsung Exclaim), though I suspect that would change quickly.

With the exception of the battery life in the two better phones, the things that are different I don't think mean much to her. The processors, ram, HDMI output, Storage capacity, screen size I don't think make or break it for her... I'm thinking the freebie is worth getting.

Oh, and the only thing I could think of that the NS4g could do that the others couldn't is the NFC apps, although I get the distinct impression that it's a passing fad like the EVO 3D is/was...
    12-20-2011 02:23 PM
    NFC.. I think given time here you will see more of it come into play.. After all that is what Google Wallet is based on paying for transactions at retailers and such... Its a slow going technology here in the US but overseas its used heavily from my understanding. So like anything else it will make it big here too given time...

Otherwise... I think you have answered your own question... Go free and stick with the same devices for troubleshooting and I think you both will be happy.
    12-20-2011 03:08 PM
    I was making a similar decision in July or August when the nexus fell to a whopping $0 at best buy for 24 hours. I pulled the trigger and got us both NS4G's and it's been great. I was worried about my wife having a touch screen again, but she loves it. She wanted an iphone, but I pretty much told her that was out unless she wanted to wait until October. When she spent some time with it in the store, she decided it was a go. She messed around with some of the other models and decided she liked the size of the NS4G more than the photon.

Her battery usually dies sometime around 8 or 9 pm, so it lasts her a solid 13 hours off the charger. No complaints there. Usually she finds a way to mess up her phones, but knock on wood...so far so good.
    12-20-2011 03:09 PM
    The Sprint version of the GSII is larger also than the standard GSII so make sure the size is fine with her.
    12-20-2011 03:30 PM
    I was making a similar decision in July or August when the nexus fell to a whopping $0 at best buy for 24 hours. She messed around with some of the other models and decided she liked the size of the NS4G more than photon
    Might be the right time to pick up a nice for phone for my son. Ns4g is the right size not to small or to big just right.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    12-20-2011 10:11 PM
    By the way, I don't know that the Photon necessarily has a better camera than the Nexus S. It's 8 MP as opposed to 5 MP, but in my comparisons it seems like the Nexus' camera is better.
    12-20-2011 11:54 PM
    I've had the GS2 since launch day, and I'm very pleased with it. We just upgraded my girlfriend to the NS4G last Friday. She loves it so far, and prefers the smaller size, as compared to my phone. Both units are similar enough in operation that it's easy for me to help and troubleshoot for her.

Knowing both devices, I'd say go with the NS4G for her. The feature set is quite similar, the size is ideal, and the price is right.

Good Luck!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    12-21-2011 12:22 AM
    Have her play with the phone and see what she likes, from what I've seen if this is her first smartphone she will probably be hooked my the major stuff the phone does, i.e. Camara, nicer screen, bigger size I'm sure the modability of it would not really interest her, bottom line whatever she likes but I think women take more into consideration the size.

My ex picked up the Sensation, because of the screen size than to choose the Nexus.
    12-21-2011 02:43 AM
    Get her the nexus will have ics very soon already does if you know how. I have the sgs2 epic and the photon I hate but its a world phone and has great reception. Epic is the best but its too big for a case and all women.

I got my gf a nexus yesterday she had a bold for a long time nexus was free when I sold the bold put ics on it and tweaked it and its super freak in awesome. She is the typical user and she can do it all on there no lags or crashing.

To me if you not rooting and flashing rooms most android phones are not that great an iPhone is just better unless your tweaking. Touchwiz for example is ugly as balls but install an ics theme and now it rocks. To me a nexus with ics is a great phone for anybody.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    12-21-2011 05:20 AM
    Thanks for the replies, gang. I pulled the trigger last night and got a pair of Nexuses (Nexi?); one for my wife and one for my mom. My mom is 1500 miles away, and my sister is heading down there for the holidays, so she can tutor my mom for a week while she's there. I think any Android phone is a bit much for my mom, but she's been having issues with her phone lately, so it's time. Plus, because my wife, brother, and I all have Nexi, we can all act as tech support for her. For the price, and the waived activation fees, I just couldn't pass them up!
    12-21-2011 07:51 AM