[Q]Nexus S 4g Worth an Upgrade?

billfold

Oct 21, 2009
Visit site
My thoughts:
I am currently on an Epic 4G, not the Touch, and my upgrade is now available. I thought about jumping on the free Nexus S that Sprint is offering now, then selling my Epic to put towards a tablet or give to my wife. Who I am trying to convince to get a NS4G as well. I don't really care for the new Epic Touch 4g, just too flippin big, and so is the Photon. I looked at the Galaxy Nexus, and I just don't like the size. I loved the way the phone felt in my hands, and with ICS coming, it will give it some longevity.

Question:
However, will I get a good 20 months out of this phone with it being a year old already?

8616v

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I just used my upgrade last month to pick up an ns4g from an optimus s.....I think its a huge improvement but I was coming from the most basic entry level android sprint has.....

My big reason for choosing this was the software. Google is going to have better long term support for the nexus than most other phones. The hard ware isn't exactly bleeding edge hardware....but do you really need a dual core 1.5G proc or a 8+ meg camera that also shoots HD video...in your phone...sure they are nice but if I want really good pics I'll get my dslr out. If I'm gonna play some game that's needs a lot of processing power I use my Xbox...and its gonna be on a little bigger screen that my phone...

After the mess that was the aborted GB release for my optimus I wanted a phone that was gonna get the software support. After all the hard work the devs do around here slightly out dated hardware stays competitive.

What do you want your phone to do for the next 2 years...baring some crazy unforeseen circumstances I know I'll be happy with my ns4g for that time.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I really like my nexus. Pretty simple to use. Took a little while to get used to it coming from the epic. But my upgrade will come in July and an not worried about 20 months down the road. Then again I rarely upgrade. this phone, as long as it's doing what I need it to do, could last me two more years.
Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

billfold

Oct 21, 2009
Visit site
I am in the same boat. All of these hardware improvements, and for what? Things I don't do with my phone. The Nexus 1 I believe is not getting ICS, but it was supported up until that time. I may be wrong on that one.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I have an update as well for my line. However, I'm waiting for next years Nexus. To the point where I just shipped back a NS4G with a cracked screen and payed Samsung $150 to fix it.

I'm also not using my upgrade so that next year when my contract is up I can chose whether to stick with or leave Sprint. Don't want to add another year on top of that and then have to pay an ETF to switch when Spritn's LTE doesn't roll out nicely.

Only phone I will ever get from now on is a Nexus. I went and messed with the Galaxy Nexus in Verizon. It was really nice. However, I went side by side with my Nexus running ICS and it wasn't a I gotta have this phone now kinda moment. I loved the screen size; but, that's not going to make me go out and upgrade for it adding 2 years to a service I may not want come next.

losino

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I bought my nexus a month ago from Craigslist. I wouldn't use an upgrade on a phone that's already a year old. It really depends on what you can afford or are willing to pay.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

billfold

Oct 21, 2009
Visit site
To me it wasn't a waste of an upgrade. I don't care to pay full price for the latest and greatest, and I like to tinker around with devices and get the most out of them. Though I am no developer, it's fun to have a device with a plethora of ROMS and support. I missed that when I went from the EVO 4G to the EPIC 4G. I appreciate all of the feedback.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol