04-09-2012 09:53 PM
33 12
tools
    I switched from the EVO 3D (which I gave to my girlfriend) and picked up the Nexus S 4G. It was nice to use stock Android and Super Amoled is nice, but I missed the snappier dual core processor, more RAM, better camera, and larger screen size/QHD resolution from the EVO 3D. I seem to get better battery life out of my Nexus than I did the EVO, but in hindsight I think I would have been happier running CyanogenMod on the Evo 3D and keeping it rather than grabbing the Nexus.

Mostly I wanted it so I could have Ice Cream Sandwich as soon as it came out and I wouldn't have had that option with the EVO, but I ended up picking up a Galaxy Nexus on VZW when it launched. I played around with a few ICS ROMs for the Nexus but I ended up missing the snappier hardware from the EVO.

Not sure how stable the Cyanogenmod ROM is for the EVO 3D, but if I had to do it all over again, I think I would have kept it rather than grabbing the Nexus. The performance with the better hardware on the EVO 3D is definitely noticeable, especially if you unlock the bootloader and throw a custom ROM on there. I'd recommend Synergy if you want to stick with Sense.
    01-08-2012 01:27 AM
    Not sure how stable the Cyanogenmod ROM is for the EVO 3D, but if I had to do it all over again, I think I would have kept it rather than grabbing the Nexus. The performance with the better hardware on the EVO 3D is definitely noticeable, especially if you unlock the bootloader and throw a custom ROM on there. I'd recommend Synergy if you want to stick with Sense.
    I am currently using an Evo 3D, which sprint "gave" me, when my Evo 4G would reboot when plugged in, using GPS. I just purchased a Nexus S 4G on eBay. One, I got a great deal on it, and two, I wanted a phone with an AMOLED screen. Plus, the idea of having a nexus device just sounds nice

Fumetsu, I would rather do what you indicate above, however, I have hboot 1.5 on my 3D, and don't want to use the HTC method of unlocking the phone, which puts a watermark on your bootloader. Granted, it won't effect your insurance with Sprint, but I would rather not let Sprint/HTC know that I rooted my phone, should I later have hardware problems, and need to have the device repaired. I know it's a psychological thing, and I shouldn't be concerned with it, but I am...thus why I'm going with a nexus phone.
    01-18-2012 08:38 AM
    Just an update, after a few days of usage on my NS4G. The screen is awesome! I rooted the device, and put an ICS rom on it. From a performance/everyday use standpoint, I don't notice much difference in scrolling, using apps, etc. I do notice when I play games, the load time is greater than my 3D, but we are dealing with single core vs dual core, so I would expect the NS4G to load things a tad slower. I do need to re-adjust to the lower resolution. Those extra pixels on the qHD screen really make a difference when surfing the web. Also, the NS4G is so small compared to the 3D. I'm also adjusting to the different placement of the buttons. All evos have the power button on the top right, and the volume rocker on the right side (except the shift 4G, not sure about the design 4G).

The camera on the NS4G is much better than the camera on the 3D. But, then again, HTC has never really put a camera sensor worth anything in any of their phones.

I really like the "eye candy" of ICS. Scrolling through web pages is much better now, and makes the OS feel much more polished.

Overall, I'm happy right now, and don't regret "downgrading" one bit.
    01-20-2012 10:32 AM
    that is completely the opposite for me...worst battery life of any phone i've ever owned. i will likely trade up as soon as a viable alternative comes along after my upgrade becomes available. i don't even care about the whole "pure google" mumbo jumbo...just give me a phone I don't have to recharge twice a day!
    For what it is worth, I also feel that I get better battery life with the Nexus. When my contract was up, I had to decide between the Nexus S 4g and the Evo 3d - I chose the Nexus despite having less sexy specs. In the end, it is about user experience and speed; I like the stripped down pure Google experience, it is extremely responsive and has no bloatware.
    01-21-2012 08:20 PM
    that is completely the opposite for me...worst battery life of any phone i've ever owned. i will likely trade up as soon as a viable alternative comes along after my upgrade becomes available. i don't even care about the whole "pure google" mumbo jumbo...just give me a phone I don't have to recharge twice a day!
    I had a sidekick 2008 as my first smartphone. Then upgraded to the epic 4g and now the nexus s4g. None of my phones would last more than 8 hours with good use.

Now that I've loaded ICS on my nexus, started experimenting with different roms and kernels. I can get a consistent 18 hours out of her, with 5+ hours of screen on time. I would have to say, I'm very happy with this phone at this point.

Have you considered rooting and custom roms/kernels? Before giving up on the nexus, you should at least give it a try.

Sent from my Nexus S 4g using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk
    01-22-2012 04:57 PM
    Wow. This is not "technically" a downgrade.

Have you seen the Nexus S Facebook, LED, microSD, Email, Text, & Camera Workarounds?

The Nexus 4G S ships without Facebook Sync, Notification LED, microSD, Speed Dial, Smart Dial, Contact Groups, Email Search, FM Radio, Visual Voicemail, HDMI, and Zoom.

The Nexus 4G S has limited Browser Zoom, Video Formats, and Bluetooth.

The Nexus 4G S has half the RAM and a smaller screen than you are used to. You are used to 25% more pixels, dual core, faster CPU, and HD recording. Your texts would be limited to 160 characters. You would be downgrading to VGA video chat and DVD resolution instead of HD recording.

The Galaxy Nexus is rumored to be a Verizon Exclusive through February 15th so watch for it on Sprint shortly after.

The Nexus 4G S is not free. You will spend nearly $1500 on this line over the 24 month contract.

Take a look at the specs side-by-side from phonearena.

This is for for 2 years - 730 days.

Holy cow. I have the classic Evo 4G was was thinking of getting the Nexus S off contract while i wait for ICS to hit the market harder. I just feel waiting for the GN is pointless since by time it hits, other phones will be out with ICS. And most likley the GN wont have 4G in my area for a while and that is a must for me.

Thanks for this breakdown. I need to find something else to hold me down for 2012.
    02-05-2012 07:16 PM
    I'm thinking of getting the Nexus S as well until the LTE Nexus comes out. Just have to wait until NYC has Sprint LTE. Current phone us HTC EVO 3D.
    02-07-2012 05:33 PM
    Now that the Nexus S is rolling out ICS, I wanted to revisit this.

I just need something good+affordable off-contract till the dust settles in the FALL and LTE is officially lit up in NYC. My Evo screen is shattered and TEP wont cover it without the $100 fee.
    04-09-2012 09:53 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD