evo 3d to nexus s 4g: opinion?

AndroiduserT

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Hey all
So I currently have an evo 3d and am considering getting a nexus s (to give my wife my evo). I'm well aware this would technically be a downgrade. Nevertheless, I'm curious of your opinions about the change. If I did switch, what differences can I expect, excluding the ui of course.
thanks all

Zerocool84

May 26, 2011
Visit site
If you want a new phone, get the Galaxy S II. I love my Nexus S but if I was getting a phone today, it'd be the Galaxy S II.

aman1127

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Why go to slower older phone? I'd gladly trade though if you really want one

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
When my topic broke for the 3rd time, I was given the choice of the evo3d, the nexus, our Droid razr. I chose the nexus and an very happy with it.

AndroiduserT

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I was a little too vague in explaining my motives:
My wife has a broken screen epic and doesnt want it anymore. She wants an iphone but its WAY too expensive without an upgrade (we're not eligible). Also, she likes my phone the most out of the non-iphones on sprint, and a friend of mine has a nexus for sale.
So, i was considering giving her my 3d and downgrading to the nexus.

i know the sense ui will be gone, and i know the tech specs and a downgrade, but i'm just trying to gauge anyone's impressions that have used both. sometimes specs can be deceiving, thats all.

Thanks!

anon(26204)

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I would say go for it. I've owned every phone Sprint has to offer, including the Evo 3D, iphone 4s and E4GT.

In my opinion, the Evo 3D is good device. However, I get great battery life on my Nexus S 4G compared to any other Sprint phone I've owned. Just yesterday, I went over 14 hours off the charger on high usage, at leadt for me. Furthermore, you will get the official ICS update way before any other phone on Sprint. The Nexus also has the NFC/Google Wallet feature is really neat and is only gonna get better as more stores start to accept Google Walet/NFC for payment.

And for people saying, "Get the ET4G," that phone does have some great feature, but it has some issues and/or concerns also. The biggest being, Samsung / Sprint lack of support for lreleasing updates in a timely fashion. The Epic 4G just got 2.3, not long ago.Furthermore, the ET4G is too huge in my opinion, however, its great for watching movies, youtube and playing games

AndroiduserT

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I would say go for it. I've owned every phone Sprint has to offer, including the Evo 3D, iphone 4s and E4GT.

In my opinion, the Evo 3D is good device. However, I get great battery life on my Nexus S 4G compared to any other Sprint phone I've owned. Just yesterday, I went over 14 hours off the charger on high usage, at leadt for me. Furthermore, you will get the official ICS update way before any other phone on Sprint. The Nexus also has the NFC/Google Wallet feature is really neat and is only gonna get better as more stores start to accept Google Walet/NFC for payment.

And for people saying, "Get the ET4G," that phone does have some great feature, but it has some issues and/or concerns also. The biggest being, Samsung / Sprint lack of support for lreleasing updates in a timely fashion. The Epic 4G just got 2.3, not long ago.Furthermore, the ET4G is too huge in my opinion, however, its great for watching movies, youtube and playing games

Thanks for that! that's exactly the kind of feedback i was looking for.
I am not a fan of the samsung UI anyway so the ET4G wasnt high on my list to begin with. And battery life if the only thing i hate about my 3D so hearing the nexus proves better results is a big plus for me.
Any negatives you can think of, having used both the 3D and Nexus?
I'm fearful of the performance, due to the single core processor and very fearful of the lack of ram (512 on the nexus, right?)

thanks all!

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I get great battery life on my Nexus S 4G compared to any other Sprint phone I've owned. Just yesterday, I went over 14 hours off the charger on high usage

that is completely the opposite for me...worst battery life of any phone i've ever owned. i will likely trade up as soon as a viable alternative comes along after my upgrade becomes available. i don't even care about the whole "pure google" mumbo jumbo...just give me a phone I don't have to recharge twice a day!

AndroiduserT

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
that is completely the opposite for me...worst battery life of any phone i've ever owned. i will likely trade up as soon as a viable alternative comes along after my upgrade becomes available. i don't even care about the whole "pure google" mumbo jumbo...just give me a phone I don't have to recharge twice a day!

I tend to call my usage moderate to heavy, but my usage includes some texting, game playing (mostly hanging and words with friends), emails (most receiving via exchage for work on push and gmail), and blog reading via pulse.
With that kind of usage, i'll get about 6-8 hours on my 3D. that's BONE DRY though. this isnt often an issue as i have a charger at my desk and in my car, but it would be nice to have have to keep it charging all the damn time, lol.
Thanks for the input!
anyone else?

charn65

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I tend to call my usage moderate to heavy, but my usage includes some texting, game playing (mostly hanging and words with friends), emails (most receiving via exchage for work on push and gmail), and blog reading via pulse.
With that kind of usage, i'll get about 6-8 hours on my 3D. that's BONE DRY though. this isnt often an issue as i have a charger at my desk and in my car, but it would be nice to have have to keep it charging all the damn time, lol.
Thanks for the input!
anyone else?

My ns4g is rooted, and I'm running one of three different ics roms with custom kernels, three roms due to me just looking for the best combination of rom and kernel.

My phone is used for business, so I'm on talk time, emails, text, and other battery draining features. On average, I'm seeing anywhere from 10-15 hours depending on said talk time. My experience with the custom GB roms were a different story, usually in the neighborhood of 12-18 hours. Now, I know every phone acts in its own special way when going from rom and kernel, to rom and kernel. I would have to say, in the long run, that if you could get an ns4g for a good price, it might be a decent way to go. Just in dev support alone between GB and ics, you'll have plenty to update to in the future. Heck, look at the original nexus, that dinosaur got GB too.

Also, I live in Raleigh, NC, and my signal rarely drops off from 3-4 bars, so that might be helping my battery life.

Reactions: AndroiduserT

AndroiduserT

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
My ns4g is rooted, and I'm running one of three different ics roms with custom kernels, three roms due to me just looking for the best combination of rom and kernel.

My phone is used for business, so I'm on talk time, emails, text, and other battery draining features. On average, I'm seeing anywhere from 10-15 hours depending on said talk time. My experience with the custom GB roms were a different story, usually in the neighborhood of 12-18 hours. Now, I know every phone acts in its own special way when going from rom and kernel, to rom and kernel. I would have to say, in the long run, that if you could get an ns4g for a good price, it might be a decent way to go. Just in dev support alone between GB and ics, you'll have plenty to update to in the future. Heck, look at the original nexus, that dinosaur got GB too.

thanks for the info!
the fact that its a relatively cheap phone is one reason why i'm drawn toward it. That, and i think it'll last via updates, being a nexus and all.
Thanks for the info. i'm considering buying it and seeing how i feel with it before i give her my 3d. and if i don't like it or find it too sluggush, i'll sell it on ebay or something.
No one has anything bad to say about it, compared to the 3d at least?

charn65

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
thanks for the info!
the fact that its a relatively cheap phone is one reason why i'm drawn toward it. That, and i think it'll last via updates, being a nexus and all.
Thanks for the info. i'm considering buying it and seeing how i feel with it before i give her my 3d. and if i don't like it or find it too sluggush, i'll sell it on ebay or something.
No one has anything bad to say about it, compared to the 3d at least?

The good thing about the many roms available for the ns4g, if you do find it sluggish, there is sure to be some combination of rom and kernel to correct it.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: evo 3d to nexus s 4G: opinion?

Hey all
So I currently have an evo 3d and am considering getting a nexus s (to give my wife my evo). I'm well aware this would technically be a downgrade. Nevertheless, I'm curious of your opinions about the change. If I did switch, what differences can I expect, excluding the ui of course.
thanks all
Wow. This is not "technically" a downgrade.

Have you seen the Nexus S Facebook, LED, microSD, Email, Text, & Camera Workarounds?

The Nexus 4G S ships without Facebook Sync, Notification LED, microSD, Speed Dial, Smart Dial, Contact Groups, Email Search, FM Radio, Visual Voicemail, HDMI, and Zoom.

The Nexus 4G S has limited Browser Zoom, Video Formats, and Bluetooth.

The Nexus 4G S has half the RAM and a smaller screen than you are used to. You are used to 25% more pixels, dual core, faster CPU, and HD recording. Your texts would be limited to 160 characters. You would be downgrading to VGA video chat and DVD resolution instead of HD recording.

The Galaxy Nexus is rumored to be a Verizon Exclusive through February 15th so watch for it on Sprint shortly after.

The Nexus 4G S is not free. You will spend nearly $1500 on this line over the 24 month contract.

Take a look at the specs side-by-side from phonearena.

This is for for 2 years - 730 days.

Last edited:

AndroiduserT

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

Wow. This is not "technically" a downgrade.

Have you seen the Nexus S Facebook, LED, microSD, Email, Text, & Camera Workarounds?

The Nexus 4G S ships without Facebook Sync, Notification LED, microSD, Speed Dial, Smart Dial, Contact Groups, Email Search, FM Radio, Visual Voicemail, HDMI, and Zoom.

The Nexus 4G S has limited Browser Zoom, Video Formats, and Bluetooth.

The Nexus 4G S has half the RAM and a smaller screen than you are used to. You are used to 25% more pixels, dual core, faster CPU, and HD recording. Your texts would be limited to 160 characters. You would be downgrading to VGA video chat and DVD resolution instead of HD recording.

The Galaxy Nexus is rumored to be a Verizon Exclusive through February 15th so watch for it on Sprint shortly after.

The Nexus 4G S is not free. You will spend nearly $1500 on this line over the 24 month contract.

Take a look at the specs side-by-side from phonearena.

This is for for 2 years - 730 days.

thanks for that. the underlined items are a just a few things i was NOT aware of.
I also didn't know about the galaxy nexus rumored exclusivity expiration, which is very tempting.
thanks for that, much appreciated.

hi-tech34

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site

thanks for that. the underlined items are a just a few things i was NOT aware of.
I also didn't know about the galaxy nexus rumored exclusivity expiration, which is very tempting.
thanks for that, much appreciated.

I have had a nexus S 4G since they came out and anything you want that the phone does not have can be downloaded from the market so don't let that deter you.

Reactions: crzycrkr

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site

...anything you want that the phone does not have can be downloaded...

How do you download actual hardware?
• Notification LED
• microSD slot
• HDMI output
• 1000MB RAM
• 4.3" display (he has an EVO 3D)
• Dual Core processor
• HD recording capability
• Bluetooth 3.0
• 1.3MP front camera for video chat

See the EVO 3D and Nexus S 4G specs side-by-side from phonearena.

Android 4.0 addresses the zoom, text limit, Gallery, and Contact Groups issues. For other issues you can flash a different ROM or Workaround the pure Google experience:

• Facebook Sync: Replace the stock Facebook app with Friendcaster.
• Messaging: Replace the Google app with HandCent or ChompSMS.
• Speed Dial & Smart Dial: Replace the Google dialer with Go Contacts or TouchPal Dialer.
Visual Voicemail: Subscribe to Youmail for $10/month for full features.
• Calendar: Replace the Google calendar with Jorte-free, etc.
• Clock: Replace the Google clock with one of these Clocks.
• Email: Replace the Google email with K-9 Mail, etc.
• Browser: Replace the Google browser with Dolphin, Opera, etc.
• Home Screens: Replace the Google launcher with LauncherPro, ADWLauncher, etc.
• Music Player: Replace the Google Music Player with Music Player, Meridian, TuneWiki, etc.
• Video Player: Replace the Google Video Player with Vital Player, Vplayer, MoboPlayer, etc.
• FM Radio: Add an app like TuneIn, Pandora, Slacker, or iheartradio.
• Keyboard: Replace the Google keyboard with SwiftKey, Swype, etc.

Last edited:

OMGLadyGaga

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
I went from an Evo 3D to a Nexus S 4G. Technically it was a downgrade because the Evo 3D hardware is a lot better, Sense 3.5 is a little to heavy of a UI for me but it is beautiful and does add some pretty good usability to the overall phone but I prefer the pure gingerbread found on the NS4G. Battery life on my Nexus S 4G has been double that of my 3VO, with the same usage. The form factor of the NS4G is absolutely perfect, I like the size 4" is perfect and it is also thinner and feels better in the hand than the 3VO.

As for negatives of downgrading: The resolution is evident in youtube videos and text on websites. The colors of Super Amoled are a lot better and the screen is bright and isn't washed out like the 3VO was but the resolution on the 3VO i really miss. Also the NS4G shows less bars than the 3VO did but the call quality and true signal strength seems to be relatively similar. The lack of dual core in the NS4G isn't a big deal because I found that in everyday usability the Nexus performs faster than the 3VO even with live wallpapers and heavy multi-tasking, the RAM never was a problem. The only complain I had besides the resolution on the NS4G is that the stock browser is kinda laggy and pinch to zoom and scrolling is nowhere near as smooth as the EVO 3D, that's the only instance in which I found the Dual Core Snap Dragon to outperform the Hummingbird Single Core in the NS4G.

I liked both phones but easily prefer the NS4G, due to its looks, pure android experience, snappier in everyday tasks, and 4" screen.

However, I've since decided that I really wanted to give TW a shot and got a good deal on an Epic Touch 4G on ebay and that will be my everyday phone.

Reactions: crzycrkr

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan