Well, look at that: Google's false advertising about the Nexus S

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Given that many people use the phone for business, rooting and using alpha builds is NOT an option (and in some cases, their company won't even let them root). Just because unofficial rooting and roms are good options for you does not mean they are for everyone.

Then what's the point in getting a Nexus device? If its for business, then bleeding edge software shouldn't be a concern. Business phones shouldn't be toys.

The ICS ROMs out there are far from alphas, even though that's what they're being called. I get better performance and battery life while being completely stable.

rem_kujawa

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Re: Well, look at that: Google's false advertising about the Nexu

Then what's the point in getting a Nexus device? If its for business, then bleeding edge software shouldn't be a concern. Business phones shouldn't be toys.

The ICS ROMs out there are far from alphas, even though that's what they're being called. I get better performance and battery life while being completely stable.

whats the point?? The point would be plain bloatfree android and the promise of a fast update.I can wait, I love gingerbread. I just wish these companys would just give a date. Even if its a far off date.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
whats the point?? The point would be plain bloatfree android and the promise of a fast update.I can wait, I love gingerbread. I just wish these companys would just give a date. Even if its a far off date.

The reason i said that was in response to people that have a Nexus as a business phone. The point is still that no non nexus phones have been updated yet, so you really can't say it isn't a fast update yet.
The point is still that no non nexus phones have been updated yet, so you really can't say it isn't a fast update yet

Last edited:

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Given that many people use the phone for business, rooting and using alpha builds is NOT an option (and in some cases, their company won't even let them root). Just because unofficial rooting and roms are good options for you does not mean they are for everyone.

Really? The roms out there right now are just as stable as gingerbread. All of the features are working as well or better than on gingerbread. So if it is your phone you have no reason not to root.

However, if the phone was bought and paid for by your employer and as such you must wait for the ota, you don't even have a dog in the fight. Is your employer complaining about his phones not having ICS yet? I seriously doubt it. :rolleyes:

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Xparent Red Tapatalk

Reactions: crzycrkr

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site

Really? The roms out there right now are just as stable as gingerbread. All of the features are working as well or better than on gingerbread. So if it is your phone you have no reason not to root.

However, if the phone was bought and paid for by your employer and as such you must wait for the ota, you don't even have a dog in the fight. Is your employer complaining about his phones not having ICS yet? I seriously doubt it. :rolleyes:

You have almost 1k posts now... many of which try to convince us all that we should root our phones and put ics on them. Unfortunately, I have also seen posts from you asking for help because your phone isn't working right after attempting to root with ics.

That's the kind of bs that worries me and others. These developers that put together these roms for you and others to try are talented, but I'm just not convinced the phone will be as stable as it should be. Some people on here get to be like such giddy school girls when it comes to trying out a new rom, that I think they overlook some of the basic things that absolutely MUST work for those of us that rely on our phones for business.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
You have almost 1k posts now... many of which try to convince us all that we should root our phones and put ics on them. Unfortunately, I have also seen posts from you asking for help because your phone isn't working right after attempting to root with ics.

That's the kind of bs that worries me and others. These developers that put together these roms for you and others to try are talented, but I'm just not convinced the phone will be as stable as it should be. Some people on here get to be like such giddy school girls when it comes to trying out a new rom, that I think they overlook some of the basic things that absolutely MUST work for those of us that rely on our phones for business.

I've been running oICS since the early versions and its been extremely stable for a while. I have had no problems whatsoever for quite a while.

The other part of this is that if you're rooted you could still flash a sstock ROM to go back to if the other ROMs aren't IP to your expectations. There is pretty much no reason not to root.

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site

That's great to hear. I just worry that I install it, spend time getting all my settings how I want it, only to find out some things aren't working right. So then besides wasting time with a rom that isn't working right, I then have to spend time putting back on GB amd getting all my settings back how I had them. That's a lot of wasted time, and don't know how to rely on my phone ams get work done while I'm dinking around with it

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site

I have backups of almost every ROM I've loaded. I can go from full on crap to a known stable version of ics and back to stock gingerbread and back to my favorite ics room again in a matter of 20 minutes. This is completely running, home screen setup, email setup, all programs setup including saved data on each and every one of them.

Don't ever say I have 1000 posts here preaching about how great rooting is. My 1st year here on these forums was spent doing exactly what you are doing. Preaching against the evils of rooting and flashing roms. I didn't start rooting my phone until just November.

I've been on both sides. I didn't understand how easy safe and quick it was. Or how much better this phone could be.

I can sit here and test drive 15 different roms in an afternoon and be back on stock gingerbread set up exactly as it was when i woke up by 5 pm.

Have I had some difficulties with some of the roms? Absolutely... But there are also a good half dozen i have backed up that are as stable and trouble free as stock gingerbread. Where everything works.

You obviously have never tried it or you wouldn't be saying what you are. Everyone here that has flashed a few roms and read what you post, are most likely shaking their heads, as you obviously don't understand the ease in which you can go back and forth between different roms.

I know i am sounding like a broken record but I can play Friday through Sunday on ICS. Wake up Monday morning. And switch back to my original gingerbread setup while having my Monday morning coffee.

Those that refuse root don't really understand how easy it is. Or you wouldn't be saying that.

As for the rooting, you only have to do it once. And with clockwork just flash from one ROM to another. Clockwork also can do complete backups of your entire system including the wallpaper settings and everything else. So if something goes to hell, you can restore it exactly the way it was before in a matter of minutes.

The refusal to root is just silly fear.

Last edited:

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site

Ok. Fair enough.

This sounds like it must be a hobby for you. In order to get to the point where you feel comfortable moving back and forth between roms like that, I'm sure you spent tons of time researching, asking questions, and f@$&ing up your phone. I'm just not in the mood for that. I just want it to work. I'm no virgin to building computers from scratch, and all sorts of other stuff. I just don't see much up side to all the work, when the official build is likely days to a few months away.

the727kid

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site

There isn't much work to do... Once you find a stable rom you don't need to do anything with it. All of the ICS rome were trash IMO until I tried the newest version that came out on 15th. Two days and it is going A+ so far.

I don't know why you would get this phone and not root...

I don't change Roms very often, I was stable on the CM7 nighties for a long time, and in-between tried several ICS that were laggy and slow, until I finally jumped on the one I'm on now. I probably won't change for while now.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
That's great to hear. I just worry that I install it, spend time getting all my settings how I want it, only to find out some things aren't working right. So then besides wasting time with a rom that isn't working right, I then have to spend time putting back on GB amd getting all my settings back how I had them. That's a lot of wasted time, and don't know how to rely on my phone ams get work done while I'm dinking around with it

Dude, you still don't understand. The back up feature in cwm takes your entire system, makes a exact copy of it and puts it in a backup folder on the sd portion of your phone. This includes settings, apps, wallpaper, accounts, home screen configuration, saved passwords, network settings, EVERYTHING. No matter what you screw up it only takes five minutes at most to bring you right back where you were before.

Add for being a hobby, I'm a single dad and rely on my phone to be a life line to my daughter. Guess what... My daughters phone is also rooted and running a custom rom. Why would l do this? Because the custom ROM is MORE reliable than stock. She text's a lot and plays on Facebook and her battery was dying faster than her school day. Now her battery lasts until closer to 7 pm and her gps issues are fixed. Now I can check her location anytime and no longer get the phone could not be found notification.

My previous post referring to flashing 15 roms on a Saturday and being back on my original by 5pm was an example on how easy and quick you can go from one to another. Not something I do. I have pretty much stuck with 2 favorite roms that I have run since moving on to ICS. Both are more stable than than stock gingerbread and every function that is on gingerbread works as well or better on the two ICS roms I run.

The statement you make referring to the fact that you don't have time to restore your phone to the way you like it, is just further proof you don't know what your talking about. Because the cwm backup will bring your phone to the IDENTICAL state it was in when you backed it up.

Last edited:
Reactions: crzycrkr

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site

The statement you make referring to the fact that you don't have time to restore your phone to the way you like it, is just further proof you don't know what your talking about.

Isn't that in itself reason not to bother? Seriously...some of us are just fine with the phone as it is. You can't really MAKE people want to do it...why would you want to? Honestly, all the talk about flashing and roms and mods and all that jazz gets to be a bit much and it's gotten to where I don't enjoy hooking my phone to my computer for any reason whatsoever, much less installing drivers and whatnot just to do stuff to my phone that I could care less about doing. I'm not sure why people are so critical of those of us who don't root. What's it matter to you whether we do or not?

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Isn't that in itself reason not to bother? Seriously...some of us are just fine with the phone as it is. You can't really MAKE people want to do it...why would you want to? Honestly, all the talk about flashing and roms and mods and all that jazz gets to be a bit much and it's gotten to where I don't enjoy hooking my phone to my computer for any reason whatsoever, much less installing drivers and whatnot just to do stuff to my phone that I could care less about doing. I'm not sure why people are so critical of those of us who don't root. What's it matter to you whether we do or not?

I think the whole idea is that if you care enough to complain about not having ICS yet, when no phones have been upgraded to it, then you're interested in this stuff enough that you should root and reap the benefits. If you don't care enough to root, then you shouldn't care about having the bleeding edge OS. You're either a techie, or you're satisfied with what you have.

Reactions: Skunkape60

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I think the whole idea is that if you care enough to complain about not having ICS yet, when no phones have been upgraded to it, then you're interested in this stuff enough that you should root and reap the benefits. If you don't care enough to root, then you shouldn't care about having the bleeding edge OS. You're either a techie, or you're satisfied with what you have.

This is on the money. If you are going to whine about not having ICS pushed to your phone wee have the right to inform you that you can.

Like I said in this thread, be careful what what you wish for. The OTA to ICS on other phones have had their share of problems. These roms that we are loading have already had most of the issues fixed and are already (most likely) more polished and more stable than the OTA will be.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site

Well I don't think that's entirely fair. I would LIKE to have the screen-cap feature as well as some of the new features unique to ICS...but I'm not squirming in my seat to get it. I guess I'm not really one of the folks you say is complaining about not having it, but I'd still like to have it. Personally, I'm more interested in Sprint finally getting a 4G service I can use. I mean, I can get a wimax signal from time to time, but it's not noticeably faster than my plain old 3G service...

I'll gladly upgrade to an LTE device this summer...whatever model that may be.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Well I don't think that's entirely fair. I would LIKE to have the screen-cap feature as well as some of the new features unique to ICS...but I'm not squirming in my seat to get it. I guess I'm not really one of the folks you say is complaining about not having it, but I'd still like to have it. Personally, I'm more interested in Sprint finally getting a 4G service I can use. I mean, I can get a wimax signal from time to time, but it's not noticeably faster than my plain old 3G service...

I'll gladly upgrade to an LTE device this summer...whatever model that may be.

Yes, I was speaking generally, not really directly at you.

I hear you on 4g. I'm in one of the biggest suburbs in the country outside of NYC, an I have nothing. Very frustrating.

Reactions: DeathsArrow

jeffrok

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site

I don't understand why ICS is taking so long, considering don't they usually start developing on the Nexus phones to begin with? If so, ICS would be taylor-made for the Nexus S (and 4G) phones, and should be the very first devices (not 2nd, not 3rd) to get the update. It's not like the Nexus S 4G is ancient- it's under a year old! I realize in mobile phone tech, that's actually pretty old, but it's still got a high end single-core processor in it as well as decent graphics rendering.

What the heck could be the holdup? Is it the 512MB of RAM, possibly? Or is it just Sprint and Google not getting their crap together?

BTW, I'm fine with Gingerbread too- ICS doesn't seem to offer anything completely revolutionary that I can't get with a 3rd party app/theme, but still, it'd be nice to be current soon.

MacGuyInNC

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site

The refusal to root is just silly fear.

I used to root my HTC Hero. Then, our company fell under the auspices of HIPAA.

There are those of us who aren't able to root, regardless of our feelings on the matter.

And therein lies my frustration with the lack of communication from Google and Sprint. I dare say that frustration is well-founded.

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site

Dude. Relax. No need to get so emotional.

It was your own explanation of going back and forth between roms, that gives the impression this is a hobby for you, that likely eats up some time. Also, you need to remember that it took some time, trial, and error to get yourself to the point where you could proclaim how easy it is.

And to those that question why anyone would buy this phone and not root, you need to remember the vast majority of people that buy this phone keep it stock...and they certainly don't visit android forums. You (and even myself, because I'm on an android forum) are the minority. Folks were attracted because of a promise of being the first for official google updates, because of the pure android bloat free setup, because of the curved screen, the price, you name it.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Dude. Relax. No need to get so emotional.

It was your own explanation of going back and forth between roms, that gives the impression this is a hobby for you, that likely eats up some time. Also, you need to remember that it took some time, trial, and error to get yourself to the point where you could proclaim how easy it is.

And to those that question why anyone would buy this phone and not root, you need to remember the vast majority of people that buy this phone keep it stock...and they certainly don't visit android forums. You (and even myself, because I'm on an android forum) are the minority. Folks were attracted because of a promise of being the first for official google updates, because of the pure android bloat free setup, because of the curved screen, the price, you name it.

Typically I would agree with you, except on the Nexus. The GN is the first Nexus that was really marketed to the masses. The OG Nexus and Nexus S definitely have a good portion of their users rooting. I won't say the majority, but its very possible. Any other phone I would agree with you though

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan