i just got my replacement NS4G from sprint, when i was in the store i watched the rep start up my new phone and during the boot it had the little unlocked lock symbol on the phone. i immediately asked "is that phone rooted!?!?" the rep looked at the phone and sayed no, i asked what the symbol meant but he didnt have a clue. when a second rep came to look at problem this new replacement phone had with voicemail, i brought up the question about the symbol and he said he wasnt sure he said "it might be some new update theyre shipping with new phones..... i dunno"

so what does that symbol mean? it came straight from sprint, it has stock everything.
    could it be a double developer phone? (since all nexus phones are developer phones )
    01-27-2012 11:25 PM
    That mean's the boot loader is unlocked. Not necessarily a bad thing but odd none the less.
    01-27-2012 11:37 PM
    That's really strange. Is that normal for a phone coming straight from sprint?
    Will I have problems when I take my phone in for repair? I thought that was huge red flag showing it was rooted :\
    01-27-2012 11:52 PM
    That's really strange. Is that normal for a phone coming straight from sprint?
    Will I have problems when I take my phone in for repair? I thought that was huge red flag showing it was rooted :\
    You can tell right away if its unlocked...

From a powered off state, press and hold Volume Up + Power and that will boot you into the boot loader... It will say on that screen in the top portion if its locked or unlocked.

If it is unlocked you can lock it back up very easily....

Let me know and I can help you if its unlocked.
    01-27-2012 11:56 PM
    Just checked, this puppy is definitely unlocked I wonder how/why sprint let that happen....
    Is there any advantage of having just a unlocked phone with no root?
    01-28-2012 12:23 AM
    Just checked, this puppy is definitely unlocked I wonder how/why sprint let that happen....
    Is there any advantage of having just a unlocked phone with no root?
    Probably not but it will maker it easier when you finally decide to root it. Do you have an app on the phone named superuser?

Sent from my Nexus S 4g using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk
    01-28-2012 12:44 AM
    nope, no su. and no cwm on it either (checked when seeing if it was unlocked)
    i guess it really doesnt matter now since im gunna put dooderbutt back on this new phone
    but man what are the odds of this happening! im really hesistant on not rooting it
    01-28-2012 01:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD