Android 4.0.4 Nexus s 4G

kevincwelch

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone report on any wifi/wimax improvements? The last "improvement" they released in August or whatever time period it was, did nothing for my phone.

I haven't tested 4G; I will test it on my way home from work and in areas I know were poor for 4G reception. I'll do some speed tests as well.

Wifi appears to be about the same in my house.

tyea

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I've been using it for almost two days now and have no significant problems. Either I'm getting better at typing on this phone or they may have improved the word correction and key board, but that is just unsubstantiated seat of the pants experience. I Odined all the TARs and can't say I've noticed any change in radio performance or battery life. Transition back and forth between 3g and 4g does not seem to have noticeably improved. I've had to pair and unpair Bluetooth a couple of times to get sound working in a Bluetooth media connection. Overall, the rom seems to have similar responsiveness to other recent ics roms.
Gps locks faster than most roms.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm waiting for the OTA but I DO have a question. Are the ICS sounds (camera, keyboard, ringtones, alarms, etc.) from the GNex in this? I've had people claim the Nexus S doesn't get them, some claim their GSM Nexus S does so bah. I don't really know.

If it DOESN'T change the sounds, can't you just go into the OTA when it hits, go into system, add in the ICS OGG files, and flash with update.zip as usual? Thanks!

kevincwelch

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Reception is better. Speeds still suck. See the attached.

In order from top to bottom:
1. Wifi in my house
2. 3G -65 dBm
3. 3G -65 dBm
4. 3g -65 dBm
5. 4G
6. 3G -76 dBm
7. 3G -86 dBm

Horrible.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
It's nice to see this device finally getting an official ICS build.

Remember... What is finally sent out ota made not be what we have here. This is a leaked build and the first one at that. I can't remember how many leaked builds came out for the epic until it finally got the froyo update. Paul do you happen to know how many leaked versions came out prior to the update?

Look... I'm not trying to rain on any ones parade but I'm just being cautiously optimistic.

Just flash it...

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I found this is also a great way to "unroot and return to stock". I used Odin, so easy from my Epic days,
less than 5 minutes to download, unzip, open, plug in and start.

I dropped my phone, cracked screen, and was going to get around to unroot/return. Thought I would try this and see how its running vs custom roms -

1. All data stays on card (but I had backed up anyway)
2. Completely unroots and removes any trace of csm, superuser, etc while keeping on latest and not having
to run thru updates
3. I do believe this is as fast as all my custom configurations. Keep in mind they do the best they can with
what they have, that's why we "tweak"
4. This also means root is broken, so you will have to re-root, but it does stay unlocked. Verified with Root
Checker

So go for it if you are stock. I am actually going to stay stock, and play with it. I can't tell phone service, I am
on another so just using wifi, can't really tell any differences one way or the other, but I'm home setting next to
router.
If you are rooted and have cwm, these rooted stocks are popping up over at xda.

tyea

May 23, 2011
Visit site
The proximity sensor response to turn screen back on does not work properly. It seems sluggish or often does not turn the screen back on. In addition , I received a phone call during an ongoing phone conversation, and the screen was to dim in the daylight to see who was calling me.

King Koopa VI

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
The proximity sensor response to turn screen back on does not work properly. It seems sluggish or often does not turn the screen back on. In addition , I received a phone call during an ongoing phone conversation, and the screen was to dim in the daylight to see who was calling me.

I'm having the same issues. I made a call to Sprint actually about my service, and when the call was finished I realized there were a bunch of 3's across my screen although it wasn't on. Only thing I can think of was the touch screen was still active. Any ideas?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol