Battery discharge when turned off

Helidos

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Need a little help!

Last night I turned off my phone with the battery @ about 70%. Now this morning I get to work turn on my phone and have 14% charge.

This is not the first time this has this has happened, but the time before I shrugged it off as a fluke.

What would cause the phone to burn threw half a charge while turned off?

Any Ideas?

Helidos

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
So for giggles for two nights in a row I have powered down the phone @ 75% charge.

Upon waking up (less than 8 hours later) and powering up the phone, both times the phone shows around 20% charge after about an hour it went up to about 30% then started going down like normal.
Is this just a issue with the phone not seeing the battery still has a decent charge and only is showing a 20% charge?

I never had a device-phone that powers down with a decent 70-90% charge to power it up less than 8 hours later to find it it has lost 50% of the charge.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I agree this does not sound normal one bit. If you have insurance I would consider a trip to your local Sprint store and tell them your situation. Could be device related or it could be a bad battery that just isn't holding a charge/discharging badly on its own... Some discharge is normal when off maybe a few percent at the most....

tokuzumi

May 29, 2010
Visit site
So, by off, you mean holding down the power button, and selecting power off? The phone isn't in stand by, where you just push the power button, and the screen goes off. I don't meant to insult your intelligence, but I just want to make sure we are on the same page.

Also, how is battery drain on the device when you are using it? Does the battery drain very quickly in stand by, too? Since you say the phone is powered off, it couldn't be a rogue app contstantly running.

Is your phone rooted? If so, maybe wiping battery stats would help.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
So, by off, you mean holding down the power button, and selecting power off? The phone isn't in stand by, where you just push the power button, and the screen goes off. I don't meant to insult your intelligence, but I just want to make sure we are on the same page.

Also, how is battery drain on the device when you are using it? Does the battery drain very quickly in stand by, too? Since you say the phone is powered off, it couldn't be a rogue app contstantly running.

I forgot to clarify this, and tokuzumi is correct in asking... I'm assuming the user means OFF not just standby so we will have to wait to get confirmation.

As far as wiping battery stats, that theory was just crushed by a Google rep back a week or two ago. AC had a blog about it on the main blog page. Wiping stats will not affect the actual life/charge of the battery just the stats that are reported in About Phone>Battery.

See link below for blog concerning wiping battery stats...
http://www.androidcentral.com/wiping-battery-stats-doesnt-improve-battery-life-says-google-engineer

Helidos

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site

No worries I should have explained it better :) Yes i mean full power down. Having to watch the nexus logo when turning it on in the morning.

On average could get 2 days out of a single charge without heavy use. Can get a good day out of it with heavy use. For example I'm sitting @ 84% going on 8 hours, but have not used the phone all that much.

Been thinking about it! but no root - all stock nothing has ever been done to it.

I mean its confusing lol... will last days with light use. But turning it off munches the battery down to nothing.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
@Helidos, I would really recommend at this point going in to Sprint and having them look at it.. Insurance, no insurance... Just to see what they think but it sounds hardware related like something is wrong when the device is powered off. If your getting good usage during the day with it running and not seeing a massive drop in battery then something just isn't right and I'm not thinking bad battery at this point...

Look at it this way if you do have insurance/TEP then you should qualify for getting a refurbished replacement device. No reason you should have to deal with this type of battery drain from a powered off device.

betachains

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like a hardware problem. What happens if you remove the fully-charged battery for , say, 8 hours and then pop it back in? If it is no longer close to fully charged, I would say you have a defective battery or phone.

Helidos

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Update:

@Betachains yesterday @ 4pm I removed the battery(93%) when I saw your post, put it back in today @ 12pm. After booting the phone it was @ 92%. I went ahead and powered down to see if it is still draining when off.

I'll post an update tonight or in the morning.

enjoylife949

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I have seen this problem on a Nexus S for AT&T. I just purchased a new battery for it. After installing the new battery the phone booted just fine and then I charged it. Used it for several hours and then turned it off; not standby, fullly off. When I tried to turn on the phone the next day it would not turn on and would not charge. I took the battery out of the phone and waited 24 hours. Just now I reinstalled the battery and it is now charging. Very strange that it kills the battery even when the phone is off. I had this happen with another battery too.