04-28-2012 05:40 PM
568 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    Wouldn't that be nice? Considering more and more non Nexus devices are now in the process of receiving or scheduled very soon to get ICS.

It doesn't bother me much cuz I opt to root and run custom ROMs but just the simple fact behind the whole theory of the Nexus line , being a developers phone and Pure Google so its supposed to be easiest to update the delay has really changed my thoughts on purchasing further Nexus devices.

Final comment, if the whole delay is circling around waiting on the GNex to drop on Sprint then all the sudden a day or two later it drops on the NS4G that will be a sad sad deal... Me personally I'm not even interested in a 6 month old GNex anymore, lets face it its behind the ball now and probably not far off from whispers of a newer Nexus device. Then again this is all pure speculation as Sprint/Sammy/Google are not talking as to what the exact delay has been.
    03-22-2012 01:45 PM
    Wouldn't that be nice? Considering more and more non Nexus devices are now in the process of receiving or scheduled very soon to get ICS.

It doesn't bother me much cuz I opt to root and run custom ROMs but just the simple fact behind the whole theory of the Nexus line , being a developers phone and Pure Google so its supposed to be easiest to update the delay has really changed my thoughts on purchasing further Nexus devices.

Final comment, if the whole delay is circling around waiting on the GNex to drop on Sprint then all the sudden a day or two later it drops on the NS4G that will be a sad sad deal... Me personally I'm not even interested in a 6 month old GNex anymore, lets face it its behind the ball now and probably not far off from whispers of a newer Nexus device. Then again this is all pure speculation as Sprint/Sammy/Google are not talking as to what the exact delay has been.
    Yeah, I don't see much point in getting a 6-month old device now that my next upgrade will be the last 'one year cycle' upgrade for me since Sprint dropped the Premier program. If I have to hold onto a phone for 20 months now, I'm going to want a brand-spankin'-new device with the highest potential for quick OTAs.

I gotta say, though...I do like the curved glass. It's very subtle, but even using my wife's iPhone, I can tell the difference in how it feels having a flat glass vs. curved glass phone up to my face.
    03-22-2012 01:52 PM
    tout this OS release as the greatest thing since sliced Gingerbread,
    I see what you did there.
    03-22-2012 01:57 PM
    htc vivid has ics!! way to go google!!
    03-22-2012 05:00 PM
    Unless something drastic changes I don't see the release of the next Nexus phone and Android OS being any different. The GNex was released ~6 mo. ago along with the announcement of ICS, and here we sit with neither. So in about another 6 mo. they'll announce the next Nexus phone with Jellybean or what have you, then we'll wait another 6 mo. before we even see it, leaving us in the same spot we are now. I think it's hard to justify owning a Nexus phone when you have announcements like the one from Samsung saying that the SIII will be available in April. If you want the top-of-the-line phone why wouldn't you chose the SIII if there is no guarantee that even if you buy the GNex that you'll be the first one receiving the next release of Android. To a certain extent I feel like when I had a BlackBerry...you buy it and pay the same price even though you know it's not the most current technology.
    03-22-2012 05:56 PM
    Google has said it is under way again, but I'm assuming a couple weeks minimum. Also, google removed developer status from the cdma nexus phones a while back. So anything but the gsm galaxy nexus shouldn't be getting updates drastically sooner than any other phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 10.1 using Tapatalk
    03-22-2012 05:58 PM
    I gotta say, though...I do like the curved glass. It's very subtle, but even using my wife's iPhone, I can tell the difference in how it feels having a flat glass vs. curved glass phone up to my face.
    haha...I feel the same way. Enjoy the simple things.
    03-22-2012 06:00 PM
    No one's saying they should half-arse it. Just like no one's saying they want a bugged-up phone.

What we are saying is that if Google is going to tout this OS release as the greatest thing since sliced Gingerbread, then they might want to put the hammer down and get crackin' on a proper release.
    Who says they're not. A lot of you guys are assuming Google is sitting back and doing nothing, when that is clearly not the case.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    03-22-2012 07:30 PM
    I must say it does seem a bit funny that the devs can create a solid performing ICS ROM for us on the NS4G and the Nexus S (GSM version) but yet Google/Samsung/Sprint can't seem to put it together for release....

I give the devs major props... They make the impossible, possible in many situations. Example in the Galaxy S line, Samsung said those phone can't have ICS.... Well look at the CM9 alphas/betas running on there now with the hacked file system formats to allow the needed system space. Just amazing what these devs do ...
    axne1 likes this.
    03-22-2012 07:36 PM
    I have given up all hope for the update. I would use CM, but my job depends on this phone, and I can't be a beta tester.
    03-22-2012 08:52 PM
    There's a lot more that goes into an official update (we're not flashing a new rom and kernel, we're updating) from the perspective of a manufacturer/carrier. Developers that make custom roms don't have the same legal, privacy, and liability concerns as sprint, Samsung, and Google. Which is why it's considered an official update.

Also, what are you missing out on by not having ICS? Obviously you want the newest and the best, but what about GB is cramping your style? You will have the exact same hardware before and after. Once you have ICS you'll just want jellybean. If you want an upgrade, then upgrade your phone and get new hardware.

If you can't afford hardware and gingerbread is killing you, then root. Many new phones are still launching with gingerbread out of box. Look at the galaxy note.

I know you want it NOW, but I also want a robot butler, but I'll have to wait years for that. It's literally a matter of weeks. If that's too long, then as has been said by me and others, feel free to root.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    axne1 likes this.
    03-22-2012 09:59 PM
    Panaromas and screen shots... to say the least.
    03-23-2012 12:40 AM
    There's a lot more that goes into an official update (we're not flashing a new rom and kernel, we're updating) from the perspective of a manufacturer/carrier. Developers that make custom roms don't have the same legal, privacy, and liability concerns as sprint, Samsung, and Google. Which is why it's considered an official update.

Also, what are you missing out on by not having ICS? Obviously you want the newest and the best, but what about GB is cramping your style? You will have the exact same hardware before and after. Once you have ICS you'll just want jellybean. If you want an upgrade, then upgrade your phone and get new hardware.

If you can't afford hardware and gingerbread is killing you, then root. Many new phones are still launching with gingerbread out of box. Look at the galaxy note.

I know you want it NOW, but I also want a robot butler, but I'll have to wait years for that. It's literally a matter of weeks. If that's too long, then as has been said by me and others, feel free to root.

Practically speaking, you are absolutely right: it's just a phone, it's just an OS update, and there are plenty of DIY options available to get ICS. For me however, it's more about the lack of communication from Google and to a lesser extent Sprint.. and please don't point me to google employee tweets or Engadget's super reliable secret sources.

It's also about what the "Nexus" brand was supposed to be... vanilla android experience, owned by Google, with quick official updates. In the U.S., the Nexus concept appears to be dead: this crazy "update", the HTC vivid, Google wallet on the verizon gnex.... just to name a few examples. It seems like the carriers - especially Verizon - have complete control now. Nexus to me means android without an OEM skin and not much else.
    bugz_92 likes this.
    03-23-2012 06:11 AM
    Nexus to me means android without an OEM skin and not much else.
    That's pretty much how I viewed it from day one and how it was explained to me at the sprint store when I bought it. I was never told I would be the first to get updates (except for on the forums). The selling point they used at my sprint store was the lack of bloat ware.

03-23-2012 06:39 AM

shiii ics is wayyyyyyy better and smoother than gb and also false about hard wear in updates most of the time some memory gets upgraded and ics let's us nexus 4g owners take full advantage of our phones idgaf bout jellybean its gossip anyway ics is here and now but u right I got tired of waiting so I flashed

03-23-2012 07:58 AM
    I think I would have to disagree and say GB is still at this point in time smoother and better on battery life than ICS. I have ran both GB/ICS complete stock, stock with just a custom kernel and full blown multiple custom ROMs on GB/ICS and I still at this stage have to give it up to GB being more fluid and better battery life.

Once they release official source for ICS tailored to our NS4G's then it should be a different story and the kernel devs can tweak things that last little bit.

Anyone around here that knows me, knows I'm not joking when I've said I ran and tested the heck outta both OS's.. I've themed for both and flashed just about everything out there at some point or another.
    03-23-2012 09:05 AM
    [/IWell would it be safe to say, with my lack of experience, I should just wait for an update, ? Thus far, only things I've read about that I feel I would enjoy...1 being the increased volume capabilities. Maybe a stronger signal ?
    03-23-2012 09:29 AM
    Volume hack, yes some ROMs/kernels have that option baked in and there are various apps on the Play Store (Market) that do this for rooted phones.

As far as signal quality, there really isn't anything that can be done for that except having a rooted device and trying out the different versions of radios (modem) that have been released for this device. Honestly the newest, official 2.3.7 Gingerbread radio is probably the best ATM which came with your device if its updated to the latest official GB release..
    03-23-2012 09:57 AM
    Who says they're not. A lot of you guys are assuming Google is sitting back and doing nothing, when that is clearly not the case.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Well, considering we haven't heard a peep from them, who says that they are?
    03-23-2012 11:51 AM
    Honestly with ICS being released on various devices now and in coming days/weeks I think Google/Samsung/Spring has probably gone into hiding on this subject because they probably know no matter what they say will backfire until an OTA update is actually released.
    03-23-2012 11:54 AM
    I got rid of a Samsung owned phone to get the nexus to get updates and now all the Samsung phones are getting the updates. Go figure. lol.
    03-23-2012 06:21 PM
    ICS for my Transformer tablet has been a disaster. First there was ICS and random reboots, battery drains, and crashes.

Then the ICS update which has reboots, battery drains, and crashes.

We may be better off with Gingerbread on our phones.
    03-24-2012 01:05 PM
    ICS for my Transformer tablet has been a disaster. First there was ICS and random reboots, battery drains, and crashes.

Then the ICS update which has reboots, battery drains, and crashes.

We may be better off with Gingerbread on our phones.

my transformer runs great on ICS only thing i noticed is i got better battery with honeycomb
    03-24-2012 03:42 PM
    Fire up the rumor mill and put on your tin-foil hats!

Just got an email from Sprint - "Master your Nexus S 4G - updating its software". Email instructs you how to check for updates for your phone "anytime you feel your phone isn't running at its best...". Is it coincidence that we are all waiting for the OTA and this email gets sent out... hmmm

(this post is mostly in jest... the email is real, but given the history, I would say my conspiracy theory is not true... we can always hope tho)
    03-26-2012 11:57 AM
    Fire up the rumor mill and put on your tin-foil hats!

Just got an email from Sprint - "Master your Nexus S 4G - updating its software". Email instructs you how to check for updates for your phone "anytime you feel your phone isn't running at its best...". Is it coincidence that we are all waiting for the OTA and this email gets sent out... hmmm

(this post is mostly in jest... the email is real, but given the history, I would say my conspiracy theory is not true... we can always hope tho)
    Ha...yeah...just noticed that one come in. I'm betting it has gone out to every Android device owner on Sprint...not just NS4G users (although I'm sure the graphic is different for each device).
    03-26-2012 12:11 PM
568 ... 89101112 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD