04-28-2012 05:40 PM
568 ... 910111213 ...
tools
    Ha...yeah...just noticed that one come in. I'm betting it has gone out to every Android device owner on Sprint...not just NS4G users (although I'm sure the graphic is different for each device).
    Hmm...I never received this. lol
    03-26-2012 08:44 PM
    Do you know if I told my boss that I would have the new updated report 4!! Months ago... And didn't come up with it I would be fired... This is a joke that ain't funny at all smh
    03-26-2012 10:14 PM
    Do you know if I told my boss that I would have the new updated report 4!! Months ago... And didn't come up with it I would be fired... This is a joke that ain't funny at all smh
    There was no date given for the update so not even close to the same thing. It'll come when it's ready. Everyone crying over it isn't going to make it arrive any sooner.
    03-26-2012 11:20 PM
    There was no date given for the update so not even close to the same thing. It'll come when it's ready. Everyone crying over it isn't going to make it arrive any sooner.
    Well, that's not actually true. While no "hard" date was supplied, Mathias Duarte did say it'd be out within a few weeks of the Galaxy Nexus. It's been a lot longer than that.
    03-27-2012 09:37 AM
    Well, that's not actually true. While no "hard" date was supplied, Mathias Duarte did say it'd be out within a few weeks of the Galaxy Nexus. It's been a lot longer than that.
    Not on sprint...
    03-27-2012 10:28 AM
    Not on sprint...
    6tr was referring to the original release of the GN on Verizon. I don't think it was some sly way of - this was back six months ago, mind you - hinting about a Sprint release.
    03-27-2012 11:01 AM
    I find a this stress over an OS update funny. That use to be me, then I realized they are more important things than an OS update to your phone. I think us Android fans are generally control freaks and if you want control of your phone root it. They are plenty of resources out their for the novice rooter. My first android phone was a Samsung Moment, that thing was hardly functional without being rooted. If you don't want to root your phone the update is going to come. I look at it this way, if a baker rushes baking a cake it looks ready on the outside but it's a raw unfinished mess on the inside. The reason I got a nexus phone was to have an unskined version of android. Other phones are getting updated but the are skinned you don't see a drastic difference until you go to the menu. I had an Evo when it was updated from Froyo to Gingerbread except for a few minor tweaks it still looked like HTC Sense that just takes all the fun out of an OS update. The main way you could tell it was updated was checking the android version in the menu. If prompt updates are your main concern get an iPhone. I have both a Nexus S 4g and an iPhone 4s. I have been using ios since 2.0 except for wallpapers, multi tasking, and a pull down notification bar it hasn't changed much. I have had had an Android phone since Cupcake and it has grown by leaps and bounds. You have to wait but the changes are worth the wait.
    03-28-2012 01:06 PM
    Ahh. Well, my breaktime for this thread is over. Got a few jobs lined up to hopefully get accepted in and a few vacations started. Here's hoping Flagstaff, AZ is an awesome experience!

ANYWAY.

Android 4.0.4 is coming to the Nexus S 4G VERY soon. How do I know this? The T-Mobile Nexus S's version of 4.0.4 is now out on Google's servers and the Wifi XOOM just got updated to 4.0.4 as well.

If Sprint truly isn't waiting until 4.0.5, then we should see 4.0.4 for the Nexus S 4G within the next week or two.

(EDIT: Information from JBQ on that first Google Groups source below about CDMA devices (NS4G and Sprint LTE Galaxy Nexus included):

The matching proprietary files will be available at https://code.google.com/android/nexus/drivers.html by the end of day (PDT). You should note that files related to CDMA devices (Nexus S 4G, CDMA/LTE Xoom, CDMA/LTE Galaxy Nexus) have not been tested in the context of AOSP. Of course, consumer support for those devices continues unchanged.

I do not know the schedule for deployment to consumer devices, especially in situations that involve additional per-operator customizations done by the device manufacturers and/or in situations that require operator approval prior to deployment.
    This pretty much means this is all in Sprint (and Verizon)'s court now. They will need to provide the CDMA files and test it out. Then it'll be pushed out to us from them.)

(EDIT 2: http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/02...e-download-it/ Looks like the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon has it's 4.0.4 update. Now we'll just have to wait for Nexus S 4G.)

(EDIT 3: https://plus.google.com/104629412415...ts/NgGwavbmkQ7 Further confirmation that the Nexus S 4G should receive Android 4.0.4 soon. If it leaked already to the internet last month, then Sprint SHOULD have it by now and have been testing it this whole time.)

Sources:
    https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...ng/YoBlTfntDvo - Jean-Baptiste Queru himself has posted 4.0.4 to AOSP, meaning it's 100% finished

Official Android 4.0.4 (IMM76D) Update Comes To The Nexus S - Here's How To Get It Right Now [Download] - Confirmation of 4.0.4 landing on the T-Mobile Nexus S, remember that T-Mobile won't make an announcement as Google controls that phone.

http://www.androidcentral.com/android-404-headed-aosp - This is the site you're on right now. :P More confirmation of Android 4.0.4 being put into AOSP.

Motorola XOOM WiFi gets the first official build of Android 4.0.4 | Android Community - Confirmation of Wifi XOOM getting 4.0.4
    03-28-2012 02:11 PM
    Did you report it to google? If people who experience it don't report it, they won't fix it.
    The bug he is referring to is a bug that basically mutes the microphone during a call without any way to unmute it, regardless of whether you toggle it off/on or not. You can hear the person on the other end but they can't hear you. It was reported to Google and they referred people back to Verizon claiming it is a network issue, which isn't true since it affects both GSM and CDMA variants. I've experienced it and it is maddening.

I hope they fix it with an update but it sucks when they refuse to acknowledge it. It might be related to the GNex hardware but multiple users experience it even after replacement of the device. It can be found both on stock, unmodded devices and on custom ROMs.

Bear in mind that a vast majority of consumers who buy the GNex aren't going to submit a bug report to Google, nor should they have to.
    03-28-2012 02:37 PM
    here's to hoping that ICS is pushed out to the remainder of NS and NS4G phone within the next week. NS owners who dont have ICS I believe are not getting the incremental update 4.0.4
    03-28-2012 06:09 PM
    here's to hoping that ICS is pushed out to the remainder of NS and NS4G phone within the next week. NS owners who dont have ICS I believe are not getting the incremental update 4.0.4
    They are. In the Google+ post, Google themselves stated that some will get ICS for the first time and some will be getting it as an update.
    03-28-2012 07:29 PM
    Am I the only NS4G owner upset by all these devices getting ICS???
    It seems everyday I check the web, a new device is set to get it and here I bought this phone thinking it was going to be the first to get it yet NOTHING!!!
    I didn't read but the first page and last of this post so I'm sorry if some one already brought this up!
    Btw, I have CM9 ICS and love it! Yet it's not the promised "first"/"no delay" updates!
    I can't express how disappointed I am!
    03-29-2012 01:44 AM
    Any minute now...

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    03-29-2012 02:10 AM
    It seems everyday I check the web, a new device is set to get it and here I bought this phone thinking it was going to be the first to get it yet NOTHING!!!
    I didn't read but the first page and last of this post so I'm sorry if some one already brought this up!
    Btw, I have CM9 ICS and love it! Yet it's not the promised "first"/"no delay" updates!
    I can't express how disappointed I am!
    No one promised you 'first' dibs and no one promised you 'no delay'. The product pages say specifically that it will get updates as fast as possible and as soon as they become available. The update isn't available yet, and you're going to get it as fast as it was possible to have it ready.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Ryuuie likes this.
    03-29-2012 03:12 AM
    The moral of this story: if you want timely (note, I did not say speedy) updates, do not get a Verizon or Sprint phone.
    Ryuuie likes this.
    03-29-2012 06:56 AM
    I think the moral of the story is root your phone and don't stress something as little as an update. If you guys have that much free time to stress over a cell phone, go do some volunteer work, do something good for your community.
    03-29-2012 07:52 AM
    Yes, because you created this thread and are the only one posting in it.
    03-29-2012 10:53 AM
    You just posted in it, so what is your excuse?
    03-29-2012 11:17 AM
    At this point I can only hope that once Google has their new Motorola acquisition fully complete and is cranking out TRUE Nexus-type phones we can receive the one-and-done style updates that iPhone users get.

The only thing to blame here is the fragmentation of the Android environment. Open source is great but having multiple "flagship" devices is just a mistake. What good is the new OS if your variant of the "flagship" doesn't have all the features that another variant does?

I completely support the open source concept, ROM and root to your hearts content but when someone purchases a Nexus there are expectations that haven't been delivered on to date.

I don't have much heartburn over not having the update yet, and get a kick out of reading these forums but enough is enough. Its laughable how badly the ball has been dropped here. I bought the NS4G on the day it was available and its a great phone, but have only gotten one update to date. One. I had rooted the hell out of my Hero and got some great mileage out of it. I got the NS4G with the intent of not having to root for a good long time after updates STOPPED for the NS4G. At this point i just see other devices getting updates and completely fail to understand.

I cannot wait for the day we see a Google Nexus on the market. NOT a Samsung Nexus. Not a motorola Nexus. A REAL Google phone.

Also,

There are a lot of jorts at the Detroit airport....
    03-29-2012 11:36 AM
    I had hope of a Motorola nexus, but samsung's trademarks today make me fear otherwise.

For those that didn't hear, Samsung trademarked 3 nexus names today.

Sent from my rooted HRC Rezound
    03-29-2012 11:41 AM
    Out of all the complaints I've heard over time about the Nexus line using Samsung the only real issue I think that stands out is they need to consider a better choice of radios, otherwise the rest of the hardware seems very good. Maybe add a better external speaker.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2 Beta-4
    03-29-2012 11:47 AM
    Lets keep the thread discussion on topic everyone. I don't like having to put out fires

Thank you.
    03-29-2012 12:42 PM
    So I want ICS, and I know there are tons of builds out there to able to put on a "rooted" phone. Mine is rooted I think. Ima newb so I dont know exactly with what type of root and all that. But the only reason I hesitate to get ICS on my phone is because my friend says there would be no 4G that and no Wifi Tether.

Is this true?
    03-29-2012 12:51 PM
    So I want ICS, and I know there are tons of builds out there to able to put on a "rooted" phone. Mine is rooted I think. Ima newb so I dont know exactly with what type of root and all that. But the only reason I hesitate to get ICS on my phone is because my friend says there would be no 4G that and no Wifi Tether.

Is this true?
    Wrong. 4g & Wifi Tether works fine on any of the custom ROMs I have used which is basically all of them. Early early builds back a few months ago of ICS for the NS4G had problems but that is all in the past.
    BenjaSands likes this.
    03-29-2012 01:05 PM
    Lets keep the thread discussion on topic everyone. I don't like having to put out fires

Thank you.
    House on fire! House on fire! Put it out! Put it out!

Just kidding.
    03-29-2012 01:11 PM
568 ... 910111213 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD