ICS Update for the Nexus S 4G Discussion Thread

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
What is the most stable ics build right now? I have a few features like open garden, go SMS and a few other apps and want to know which build runs the smoothest

It's all subjective... If you ask one person it will be one ROM, ask another it will be different.

While the phones are supposed to have the same hardware they all run a bit differently.

codename used to run very well on my phone as did several others. But right now the cm9 nightlies are running the best. Buggless was choppy on my phone.

Kloneicle

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: ICS 4.0.5 Coming in March to Nexus S 4G

I use the leaked build myself and relativly no issues. Runs much better then GB. I installed a custom kernal for BLN and had more problems then with stock. Only issue with the leak I have is the prox sensor not coming back on during phone calls with taking away from face. I have to press the power button.

GPS, WIFI, 4G its all solid. Everything is soo much smoother on ICS. Im not getting failed Txt messages anymore either unlike on GB (even thoe they went through).

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: ICS Coming in to Nexus S 4G Thread

Claiming it's coming in March is pretty misleading because no one knows when it's coming, why keep it in?

EDIT: Crosspost:

Fe3F3.jpg

Straight from Google's own Google Apps Device Policy app on the Android Market and uploaded by Google themselves.

It's not an "official statement" like everyone's clamoring for (which won't happen until it's actually out, of course) but I guess it's something? It's probably just a mock-up, anyway. But if not, it does show that they've at least been working on it since October of last year.

Here's another statement straight from Jean-Baptiste Queru who works on AOSP at Google.

https://twitter.com/#!/jbqueru/status/175623218823036928
https://twitter.com/#!/jbqueru/status/175643037421154304

This 100% confirms that Android 4.0.4 is NOT finished and the one that everyone's using on their GNex and NS4G is incomplete which makes sense considering it still has Gingerbread loading circles and proximity issues (for the NS4G at least).

MODS: Can we just make this thread the official ICS NS4G thread?

Last edited:

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site

Claiming it's coming in March is pretty misleading because no one knows when it's coming, why keep it in?

If you read the post, you'd see I qualified it as coming to that phone in France (read the article source).

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Why did someone alter the title of my post to take out the "March"?

Yes I edited the thread name to reflect a more generalized description. This has been the most used thread for official ICS talk so it only made sense.

Hopefully this can serve as our main thread for any future ICS update discussion. ;)

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site

Yes I edited the thread post to reflect a more generalized description. This has been the most used thread for official ICS talk so it only made sense.

Oh, well then maybe you can edit it to make more sense like:

"ICS Coming in _____? to Nexus S 4G"

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I well change it a bit when I'm not mobile and back on my laptop.

Thanks for understanding.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site

If you read the post, you'd see I qualified it as coming to that phone in France (read the article source).

I did read it, I was the first to comment on the thread. It's still speculation and the only confirmation of anything that we've gotten so far is that ICS for the NS4G has been in the works since October 2011 and Android 4.0.4 is not finished.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
This is crazy. Owning a nexus means nothing!!

Only on CDMA carriers like Verizon and Sprint.

T-Mobile got their Nexus S update back in December, after the launch of the Galaxy Nexus (just as Google said).

On CDMA carriers, you have to wait for the carrier to approve it. This is pretty much why CDMA sucks.

Yes, it WILL be the same with the Galaxy Nexus. The GNex on Verizon is CDMA/LTE just like the Sprint one is...it's also waiting on updates too (worse, some are on 4.0.2 and some are on 4.0.3).

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
What about the AT&T Nexus? Is that CDMA also?

AT&T's Nexus S is GSM as well. Who knows why it hasn't been upgraded (I believe it's their version of LTE that's the reason why it wasn't included with T-Mobile update). but at least the T-Mobile OTA update works on the AT&T version with a bit of tweaking on your part.

NS4G owners must wait for the official OTA or root and go to ICS via a ROM based off of the unfinished 4.0.4.

kuoirad

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Neither the T-Mo nor AT&T Nexus S's are LTE (or 4G of any type). That has nothing to do with anything as to why it was (note the past tense) out for T-Mo and not AT&T.

You should also remember that Google *pulled* the T-Mo ICS update a few days after they released it. At least, iirc.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Neither the T-Mo nor AT&T Nexus S's are LTE (or 4G of any type). That has nothing to do with anything as to why it was (note the past tense) out for T-Mo and not AT&T.

You should also remember that Google *pulled* the T-Mo ICS update a few days after they released it. At least, iirc.

I said "I believe" which means "I may be wrong, but this is what I think it may be". No where did I say it as a fact.

I do remember that, but that has nothing to do with why AT&T didn't get an update. It was pulled (and still seems to be as a lot of people are wondering where the hell it is in OTA form) because of problems that Google cited with the update.

AT&T is still GSM and, for whatever reason, Google did not update that Nexus S to ICS and if they didn't update it maybe the update IS broken. Just like, for whatever reason, the NS4G does not have an update either.

Obviously, there's a fix in the works as 4.0.4 is still being worked on.

By the way, since 4.0.4 is still being worked on, the rumor of that French NS getting 4.0.5 this month is most likely untrue as they still seem to be intent on releasing 4.0.4 first before 4.0.5.

lingo622

May 9, 2011
Visit site
If the Epic Touch gets it first I definitely plan on trying to have Sprint upgrade my phone. The entire reason why I bought the NS4G was to get ICS and other updates before other phones... Would sort of defeat the purpose of the device if others got ICS first.