ICS Update for the Nexus S 4G Discussion Thread

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: ICS 4.0.5 Coming in March to Nexus S 4G

I think that translation is off and it's missing some punctuation.

"Only a couple of days after we saw Android 4.0.4 leak for the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Android 4.0.5 officially been confirmed by SFR, France's mobile phone carrier for the Nexus S."

This would make more sense because the Nexus S 4G is exclusive to Sprint and only Sprint. The Nexus S is only called the Nexus S everywhere else in the world.

I think we're still waiting for Sprint but since Android 4.0.4 leaked for the Nexus S 4G, it shouldn't be too much longer. Sometime before March, I'd say. If not then, then after the Galaxy Nexus launches on Sprint.

Reactions: redbullsc10

JoeMcJoe

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site

They are most likely waiting until Swype works with ICS, it is almost there.

JoeMcJoe

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site

But a lot of people who have the 4G use it and have it installed, it was advertised with Sprint.
They want to reduce the support calls is my guess.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

Lets hope it means us on the NS4G.. I read that article and it does say Nexus S but didn't specify the NS4G... Have to wait and see...

the727kid

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site

Swype works with ICS..? Been running it since day 1, and actually use an old install version of it.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site

But a lot of people who have the 4G use it and have it installed, it was advertised with Sprint.
They want to reduce the support calls is my guess.

Swype also isn't a Sprint app, it's by Swype Incorporated and can be downloaded for free here.

If someone has Swype installed on the NS4G is because they went and downloaded it from there as it's not a part of AOSP Android and isn't affiliated with Google or Sprint in any way.

The reason they're waiting is to probably not cannibalize their sales for the Galaxy Nexus. If you can get a cheap/free Nexus S 4G that already has ICS, why wait for the Galaxy Nexus?

8616v

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
The reason they're waiting is to probably not cannibalize their sales for the Galaxy Nexus. If you can get a cheap/free Nexus S 4G that already has ICS, why wait for the Galaxy Nexus?

+10000

Exactly...much as every one wants official ics and is whining about it not being out yet and how they are being miss treated by google. It doesn't make business sense for sprint to put the software out until after the galaxy nexus

kevincwelch

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

I don't follow that logic.

When is Sprint getting the Nexus Galaxy? So, they want to delay the Nexus S 4G update so people will just buy the Nexus Galaxy? That doesn't make sense; nor does thinking that people will switch networks to get a Nexus Galaxy because they don't want to wait for the update.

Different markets.

mattg67

May 23, 2010
Visit site

I'm sure most people who bought the NS4G are still under contract so that's not really feasible. It's been said several times we have a few extra features that need to be baked in so it's gonna take a little bit longer.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site

I don't follow that logic.

When is Sprint getting the Nexus Galaxy? So, they want to delay the Nexus S 4G update so people will just buy the Nexus Galaxy? That doesn't make sense; nor does thinking that people will switch networks to get a Nexus Galaxy because they don't want to wait for the update.

Different markets.

Sprint will be getting the Galaxy Nexus sometime this year, the current rumor is April at the earliest thanks to them mentioning that April, May, June, and July will be big months for them during CES.

The Nexus S 4G is a pretty cheap phone, if not free right now and ICS on the NS is pretty much the same experience as on the Galaxy Nexus save for the Menu and Search buttons. Why would you spend $200-$250 on a new phone when you can just get the second gen version (technically Android's iPhone 4) and have essentially the same experience? You can buy a Nexus S 4G pretty cheap second hand and do it that way or Sprint can force your hand for the GNex new and get a commission when you buy it.

It may not make consumer sense, but as previously stated, it makes perfect business sense to wait until the better phone is released. If your customers already have ICS on their NS4G, why would they buy the GNex?

I didn't say anything about switching networks. There are people who need/want an upgrade and the more people Sprint can get using the GNex the more people to test out the LTE upgrades on that will start up soon. However, people HAVE switched networks just to get the GNex on Verizon, just like some switched networks to get the iPhone when it hit Verizon/Sprint. It does happen.

I'm sure most people who bought the NS4G are still under contract so that's not really feasible. It's been said several times we have a few extra features that need to be baked in so it's gonna take a little bit longer.

You can always try to buy out your contract, Sprint can only say yes or no. Pay your ETF, restart it, buy the GNex. If you bought the Nexus S 4G around the time of it's release, you'd have about $160-$165 or so left on your ETF right now.

mattg67

May 23, 2010
Visit site

I have to disagree with you about ICS being the same on either device, the GN is a beast of a phone but anyways, we will get it sooner or later my bet is on sooner ;)

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site

I have to disagree with you about ICS being the same on either device, the GN is a beast of a phone but anyways, we will get it sooner or later my bet is on sooner ;)

Well, aside from the on-screen buttons, no Menu or Search button, the processor, 720p screen, and Face Unlock, ICS is pretty much the same experience on both phones. It has to be as the Nexus S is still a developer device.

One just runs faster and looks much nicer. :p

I do agree to disagree though...I just want ICS too. :(

the727kid

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site

So why would Sprint wait? I'm not getting this. So people buy the GN? Or they can get the S4G for cheap now.... what's the difference to Sprint from a profit maximizing perspective?

Work with me basic assumptions here.

The GN is what a $700 phone? You pay $200... a $500 loss on Sprints end.
The S4G is $400 phone and you pay nothing now. $400 loss for Sprint.

Given the assumption of the same plan for LTE and WiMax... Sprint would make more money off S4G sales.

Now include a exogenous variable such as ICS (which is mostly exclusive) on a free phone , this would boost contract plans even more for Sprint.

Sprint's CEOs are smarter than that. The delay has nothing to do with the GN, at least from a profit maximizing perspective, which is Sprint's ultimate goal.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site

So why would Sprint wait? I'm not getting this. So people buy the GN? Or they can get the S4G for cheap now.... what's the difference to Sprint from a profit maximizing perspective?

Work with me basic assumptions here.

The GN is what a $700 phone? You pay $200... a $500 loss on Sprints end.
The S4G is $400 phone and you pay nothing now. $400 loss for Sprint.

Given the assumption of the same plan for LTE and WiMax... Sprint would make more money off S4G sales.

Now include a exogenous variable such as ICS (which is mostly exclusive) on a free phone , this would boost contract plans even more for Sprint.

Sprint's CEOs are smarter than that. The delay has nothing to do with the GN, at least from a profit maximizing perspective, which is Sprint's ultimate goal.

It's not really that hard.

If you want ICS on your NS4G, and Sprint pushes it out BEFORE the Galaxy Nexus, you can just update the NS4G now and skip the new phone.

If they DON'T, you can buy out your contract, pay your ETF, then sign up again, get charged the setup fee (which is no longer being waived, I believe), and possibly have to repay the up to $100 deposit if you have one, then you're set for another 2 years with Sprint earlier than you normally would. Your new date for a contract would be 2 years from now, which is in 2014.

If you got ICS now, you would have your contract up in 2013 and there's a chance you could decide not to stick with Sprint and leave. If you got the GNex, you'd be forced into another 2 years (and they'd still get money off of you).

It's the same reason why Google wasn't going to put ICS on the Nexus S on the same day the GNex hit. It'd affect the sales of the new phone if you could just keep your old one. Again, why buy the Galaxy Nexus when you can just buy a cheaper phone with ICS?

The Nexus S 4G is currently free right now, and usually $100-$150 when it's not (not to mention you can buy it used cheaper). The Galaxy Nexus will be about $200 to $250. Sprint gets more money from you killing your contract early and buying the GNex + the 2 year contract rather than the free NS4G + the 2 year contract.

We don't know for sure what the delay is, but it only makes actual business sense (even if it's $50-100 extra to them, money is money) to assume that it's the Galaxy Nexus' upcoming release.

Sprint has control over when these updates come, Google just makes them but Sprint MUST approve them first, that's kinda how CDMA works. If they don't want it out before then, then it just won't be out until they want it out.

jimijames

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site

According to the post, the Samsung Galaxy Nexus and Samsung Nexus S will be getting Android 4.0.5 in March. Furthermore, the HTC Sensation and Samsung Galaxy S2 will be bumped up to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, with the former getting Sense 3.5 as well.

So much for Nexus owners getting the latest updates first...

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site

It's not really that hard.
you can buy out your contract, pay your ETF, then sign up again, get charged the setup fee (which is no longer being waived, I believe), and possibly have to repay the up to $100 deposit if you have one, then you're set for another 2 years with Sprint earlier than you normally would. Your new date for a contract would be 2 years from now, which is in 2014.

Really...now WHO would do that? That's bordering on obsessive, really.

Folks, keep in mind that only people who come into Android forums actually care about which version they are using. Most people are not willing to mess around with quitting and switching or restarting their contract just to get ICS. In fact, most people would be mystified by anyone that did... (as would I)

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site

Um, you do realize iPhone fans do this all day right? The difference between the 4 and 4s is Siri- I know more than 20 people that swapped their perfectly working iPhone 4 for a 4S. People need only one minor upgrade- the 720P and larger screen of the Gnex is reason enough for many.

I have no idea why it would take Sprint or Google this long to push out ICS for the NS4G... if it wasn't someone is just dragging their feet.

MacGuyInNC

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site

Um, you do realize iPhone fans do this all day right? The difference between the 4 and 4s is Siri- I know more than 20 people that swapped their perfectly working iPhone 4 for a 4S. People need only one minor upgrade- the 720P and larger screen of the Gnex is reason enough for many.

I have no idea why it would take Sprint or Google this long to push out ICS for the NS4G... if it wasn't someone is just dragging their feet.

Actually, there are many more differences between the 4 and 4S that may be compelling reasons for an upgrade. They didn't "just add Siri."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith