ICS Update for the Nexus S 4G Discussion Thread

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: ICS 4.0.5 Coming in March to Nexus S 4G

Really...now WHO would do that? That's bordering on obsessive, really.

Folks, keep in mind that only people who come into Android forums actually care about which version they are using. Most people are not willing to mess around with quitting and switching or restarting their contract just to get ICS. In fact, most people would be mystified by anyone that did... (as would I)

Obsessive? Sure. But people still do it. Android Central's own poll can show proof of it. If you don't keep your phone over the life of the contract, then you must be switching out which means paying your ETF and getting a new one for Sprint users.

iPhone users do it too, as pointed out by brandonc. I know many iPhone 3GS users who switched to the 4 and then to the 4S. It's all about having that newest, cutting-edge gadget.

kevincwelch

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

It may not make consumer sense, but as previously stated, it makes perfect business sense to wait until the better phone is released. If your customers already have ICS on their NS4G, why would they buy the GNex?

By your logic, they would have withheld an update for GSM phones then.

I understand the whole issue regarding consumer logic v. business logic. I just don't think your conclusion makes sense in either logic.

the727kid

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site

It's not really that hard.

If you want ICS on your NS4G, and Sprint pushes it out BEFORE the Galaxy Nexus, you can just update the NS4G now and skip the new phone.

If they DON'T, you can buy out your contract, pay your ETF, then sign up again, get charged the setup fee (which is no longer being waived, I believe), and possibly have to repay the up to $100 deposit if you have one, then you're set for another 2 years with Sprint earlier than you normally would. Your new date for a contract would be 2 years from now, which is in 2014.

If you got ICS now, you would have your contract up in 2013 and there's a chance you could decide not to stick with Sprint and leave. If you got the GNex, you'd be forced into another 2 years (and they'd still get money off of you).

It's the same reason why Google wasn't going to put ICS on the Nexus S on the same day the GNex hit. It'd affect the sales of the new phone if you could just keep your old one. Again, why buy the Galaxy Nexus when you can just buy a cheaper phone with ICS?

The Nexus S 4G is currently free right now, and usually $100-$150 when it's not (not to mention you can buy it used cheaper). The Galaxy Nexus will be about $200 to $250. Sprint gets more money from you killing your contract early and buying the GNex + the 2 year contract rather than the free NS4G + the 2 year contract.

We don't know for sure what the delay is, but it only makes actual business sense (even if it's $50-100 extra to them, money is money) to assume that it's the Galaxy Nexus' upcoming release.

Sprint has control over when these updates come, Google just makes them but Sprint MUST approve them first, that's kinda how CDMA works. If they don't want it out before then, then it just won't be out until they want it out.

Your taking something into account that ultimately has little effect on the market.

Who buys out their contract? Let's be realistic here. I would be surprised if more than 5% of total Sprint customers do so, if that. Toss in the fact that users that are bozo crazy about the latest stuff must likely have ICS on their phones already and in that case holding back ICS officially means nothing. That would make this pretty much irrelevant. Not including the fact that if people wanted to buy out and get the GN THAT bad, they would switch to Verizon.

The money Sprint would make from new contract sales from a free ICS phone compared to a $200 ICS phone is probably quite a large difference. Having ICS on a free phone brings is new customers, which is Sprints goal. Once your with Sprint, good chances are your not going to pay more for your monthly bill. Focus on retaining customers is not a priority, gaining market share is.

Given that users will stick with Sprint because of their unlimited at a low price lets put what I just said in perspective in a two year window. A new contract will generate $1920 ($80x24). Minus the cost of the Nexus S for free, We have ~$1500 profit per new customer in two year period. User A that bought the Nexus S day 1 put sprint at around a $500 loss for the phone. We have already discussed Sprint will obtain $1920 in a two year span. Now User A wants the GN exactly a year later, we can estimate this is going to be roughly another ~$500 loss for sprint. Include in User A's cancellation fee of $150 we can calculate the profits. New Contract User - ~$1500 or ~$1150 for the person that buys out their contract. Which is better? Again this is the assumption that people stay with Sprint. In the long run Sprint is better off with consumers not switching out their phones, given users stay with Sprint.

Reasons between Google and Sprint are completely different. Their profits are derived from different sources (product vs. service). The more phones sprint sells the better, doesn't matter which phone, as long is it is 4G. Google focuses on selling their phones. The new phones generate more revenue, so they need to focus on selling the most expensive.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site

To the Apple example...well, Apple is a different animal. A - it's more than just Siri and B - Apple seems to get the early hype and the subsequent bump from initial release because, guess what...they have ONE DEVICE and it comes out once a year. Everyone is familiar with the images of lines stretching out the door on the first day of an iPhone or iPad release. It takes a special type of fervor to get someone to do that, in my opinion. Those that didn't wait in that line are far less likely to buy out their contract and upgrade ahead of time, taking the ETF hit. Even so, I don't think it was so much for the software bump as it was about the shiny new hardware that isn't really all that new looking. They don't have a selection to choose from. They take what they can get...Apple has manufactured a false yearly demand.

In the case of Nexus, I just don't believe that there are that many people outside of the Android forum users that are even aware of the existence of ICS. I know plenty of people with Android devices that wouldn't know Froyo from Gingerbread until they get the pop-up telling them to install the OTA upgrade. Add in the manufacturer versions and it gets even muddier. I'd pay to watch someone trying to convince my mother-in-law to spend $200 to buy out her contract, plus another $200 or $300 to buy a new device that will be mid-range in six months anyway.

kevincwelch

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

In the case of Nexus, I just don't believe that there are that many people outside of the Android forum users that are even aware of the existence of ICS. I know plenty of people with Android devices that wouldn't know Froyo from Gingerbread until they get the pop-up telling them to install the OTA upgrade.

Well, I think that hit the nail on the head.

We probably live in a very sheltered world and think that we are the world and this unified voice regarding all issues Android. It is estimated that there are about 6 billion cell phone subscribers. Roughly (extrapolating), if 44% of them are Android users, that makes it about 2.64 billion android users. Here at Android Forums, these are the statistics: Threads: 141,793, Posts: 1,560,870, Members: 677,346, Active Members: 256,375.

Let's go with the 677,346 members. Forget about Nexus S users...

So, we here at the forums represent about 0.027% of Android users.

I'd say that's pretty insignificant.

Key point: a close friend of mine has an Epic 4G. She's been complaining about the battery life. Not too long ago, she said she installed something that changed the color of the icons, etc. After examining her phone, I noticed she had GB on it. I basically said she had the GB update. "Oh, what's it do?" was her response.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site

Your taking something into account that ultimately has little effect on the market.

While you make good points, I still think I make good ones as well. To be perfectly honest, the GNex is still a believable factor. It's better than "Samsung didn't approve it" or whatever else is floating around. It's better than the absolute silence given from Google and Sprint also.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one as neither one of us has information from Sprint to say whether one of us is right or not.

Regardless of your post, I still say we will NOT see ICS on the NS4G until AFTER the Galaxy Nexus launches, you can believe what you want but you don't have proof against it just as I don't have proof against what you said.

By your logic, they would have withheld an update for GSM phones then.

I understand the whole issue regarding consumer logic v. business logic. I just don't think your conclusion makes sense in either logic.

The GNex released before GSM Nexus S got anything. Google even stated that ICS would hit the Nexus S AFTER the Galaxy Nexus launched. They could've put it on NS first, but they didn't. Who's to say Sprint isn't deciding to do the same for whatever reason?

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site

Actually, there are many more differences between the 4 and 4S that may be compelling reasons for an upgrade. They didn't "just add Siri."

That's the joke isn't it? You and I know that- but they don't... they saw Siri and that was reason enough. Just like for many- the GNex has 720P, a larger screen for webbrowsing and Unified memory so running out of storage for application data is a thing of the past. Sure there's more reasons to get a Gnex than those- but the unified memory alone is the one that just about seals the deal for me... I'm just pissed they got rid of the menu button- I hate the iOS approach of putting it in random locations in each app...

With regard to official ICS updates- if ANY non nexus phone gets ANY OS update before the Gnex or Nexus S... it will completely ruin the most important aspect of owning a nexus- being the 1st for updates. This could be the beginning of the end of this line of phones at all if that were to happen.

the727kid

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site

While you make good points, I still think I make good ones as well. To be perfectly honest, the GNex is still a believable factor. It's better than "Samsung didn't approve it" or whatever else is floating around. It's better than the absolute silence given from Google and Sprint also.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one as neither one of us has information from Sprint to say whether one of us is right or not.

Regardless of your post, I still say we will NOT see ICS on the NS4G until AFTER the Galaxy Nexus launches, you can believe what you want but you don't have proof against it just as I don't have proof against what you said.

The GNex released before GSM Nexus S got anything. Google even stated that ICS would hit the Nexus S AFTER the Galaxy Nexus launched. They could've put it on NS first, but they didn't. Who's to say Sprint isn't deciding to do the same for whatever reason?

You're right, none of us know. My argument is in a simple form with no variables. I have no predication, nor does it matter, I'm rooted running ICS lol.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

Once you root its basically an addiction... You get a small taste of things, then you want more...

It just consumes you...

For some the flashing of ROMs addiction eventually dies down, others it just keeps going strong... Me, personally after a year of flashing ROMs, kernels, mods, themes and building both a ROM and various themes I'm on the downside now.. I flash when necessary and enjoy ROMs now instead of looking for the next latest and greatest every 5 minutes... Gee I can only imagine what couple dozen more ROMs will sprout from Android 4.0.5 ... ;)

I think I'm gonna go boot into CWM recovery..... :p

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Once you root its basically an addiction... You get a small taste of things, then you want more...

It just consumes you...

For some the flashing of ROMs addiction eventually dies down, others it just keeps going strong... Me, personally after a year of flashing ROMs, kernels, mods, themes and building both a ROM and various themes I'm on the downside now.. I flash when necessary and enjoy ROMs now instead of looking for the next latest and greatest every 5 minutes... Gee I can only imagine what couple dozen more ROMs will sprout from Android 4.0.5 ... ;)

I think I'm gonna go boot into CWM recovery..... :p

Please... Rooting has never effected the way I use my phone. :D

Reactions: Paul627g

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

MacGuyInNC

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site

jeffrok

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site

My guess is with the "official" build existing (leaked), that Sprint is only a week or two from releasing ICS. I don't think we have to worry about HTC's phones getting the update before the NS4G

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site

My guess is with the "official" build existing (leaked), that Sprint is only a week or two from releasing ICS. I don't think we have to worry about HTC's phones getting the update before the NS4G

I hope there's a fix for the proximity bug in 4.0.4 before they push it out to OTA. A lot of XDA users noticed the bug after the "ICS honeymoon" wore off and they tried to make a call.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith