ICS Update for the Nexus S 4G Discussion Thread

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: ICS 4.0.5 Coming in March to Nexus S 4G

I hope there's a fix for the proximity bug in 4.0.4 before they push it out to OTA. A lot of XDA users noticed the bug after the "ICS honeymoon" wore off and they tried to make a call.

maybe the "leak" is really just an unofficial beta testing.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site

I hope there's a fix for the proximity bug in 4.0.4 before they push it out to OTA. A lot of XDA users noticed the bug after the "ICS honeymoon" wore off and they tried to make a call.

Did you report it to google? If people who experience it don't report it, they won't fix it.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site

maybe the "leak" is really just an unofficial beta testing.

That's what I'm thinking too. It was an unfinished version of 4.0.4 just like the GNex version of 4.0.4 is pretty much a beta as well.

Did you report it to google? If people who experience it don't report it, they won't fix it.

I didn't do the update, but quite a bit of people on XDA noticed that there were proximity problems when they tried to make calls. I'd hope they'd be smart enough to report it but if I can report it even if I DON'T have the "leak", I will.

evansgw

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site

How many of us keep visiting Android Central each day (or hour?!) expecting to see 4.0.x released for NS4G?!

Takes me back to my Palm Pre days, waiting throughout the night anxiously phone in hand constantly hitting the update button and chatting on Pre Central!!

Reactions: johnb0072

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site

How many of us keep visiting Android Central each day (or hour?!) expecting to see 4.0.x released for NS4G?!

Takes me back to my Palm Pre days, waiting throughout the night anxiously phone in hand constantly hitting the update button and chatting on Pre Central!!

Good sir, are you suggesting that I'm checking this forum, XDA, AC's main site, and Google+?! How dare you!

Yeah, I totally am. I think I have a problem. :'(

rem_kujawa

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site

I'm still betting it will be out right after Gnex for sprint is out. How is it that a huge company takes months for a software update? Yet we have home developers building ROM's from source code that can be released almost everyday. And best part is these AOSP ROM's work flawlessly?

evansgw

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I think the problem is that it is a big company working with another big company. They all have so much red tape to deal with.

The independent developers can put out code without having to worry about the legal, customer service, IT, or marketing departments concerns.

Pain in the rear end.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site

The update itself is done. Google released versions of ICS for all Nexus variants back in December. They just haven't made an OTA yet.

Now we have the supposed "leak" (which may not be a leak at all).

Whether it's Sprint holding it until the Galaxy Nexus (which, after some thought, I agree is really foolish since the Galaxy Nexus won't be out until May or June at the earliest) or Sprint doing testing, Google's done their part.

I'd say it's all on Sprint now.

Pack4now

May 4, 2011
Visit site

I personally think that updates on a Google phone should come from Google and Google only...only thing sprint should do is supplies the drivers for the radios.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site

I personally think that updates on a Google phone should come from Google and Google only...only thing sprint should do is supplies the drivers for the radios.

Google provides the updates to Sprint, Sprint gives us the updates.

The NS4G update has been ready since December 2011 but Sprint has to test the Wi-Max radios and Google Voice/Wallet integration.

Right now, we're basically waiting on Sprint to push it out.

The T-Mobile update came directly from Google and Google alone. Verizon and Sprint control when the updates release for the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus S 4G, respectively (and soon Sprint's Galaxy Nexus as well).

This is what that whole fiasco a couple of weeks or so was about. The Verizon/Sprint GNex and NS4G are all officially supported devices by Google, but we're still going to have to wait to get our updates.

piaband

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
This is not true. Google can use the CDMA sprint radios from the previous release.

Google is the one to blame here. And your covering for them isn't helping the situation.

The only reason ICS isn't out for ns4g is because google wants the galaxy nexus to be the first device to have it. It will come a few weeks after that phone is released on sprint. We got screwed.

Last edited:

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
This is not true. Google can use the CDMA sprint radios from the previous release.

Google is the one to blame here. And your covering for them isn't helping the situation.

The only reason ICS isn't out for ns4g is because google wants the galaxy nexus to be the first device to have it. It will come a few weeks after that phone is released on sprint. We got screwed.

Google makes money either which way. I'm sure its a combination of Samsung and sprint trying to make money on new phones. So until we get the galaxy nexus officially we won't get ics. I guess Google couldn't have there hand in it but it really is mainly because of sprint wanting to sell new phones. Why buy new if you got.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site

It seems you have a lot of misconception about CDMA device. You should go to the main page here on AC and look up the article that explains the CDMA fiasco that happened.

You're talking as if Google and Google alone provides the updates to us and decides when they come out, when they do not. That only happens on GSM carriers such as AT&T and T-Mobile. With CDMA like Verizon and Sprint, they still control when the updates come out (and can even control what's actually on the phones, as evident by Verizon telling Google NOT to put Google Wallet in the Galaxy Nexus and Sprint telling Google to disable tether in the NS4G).

Google has nothing to do with this as they released the update to ICS for the Nexus S 4G on about December 17th. There were no radios for it until the "leak" of 4.0.4. If we didn't have these updates provided back then, we would still be using ROMs based on the T-Mobile Nexus S.

Google only controls GIVING the updates to Sprint, Sprint controls when they come out. Sprint already has them and are most likely testing them by now considering the 4.0.4 "leak" is pretty buggy with a crappy proximity sensor and all.

If anyone was holding the update back until the GNex release, it's Sprint. As stated previously, Google wins either way as people will be using their new OS and that is all that matters to them.

Google makes money either which way. I'm sure its a combination of Samsung and sprint trying to make money on new phones. So until we get the galaxy nexus officially we won't get ics. I guess Google couldn't have there hand in it but it really is mainly because of sprint wanting to sell new phones. Why buy new if you got.

Samsung has nothing to do with any of this OTA business as they only make the hardware. They're who you send your phone to if it breaks and Sprint can't fix it (such as a stuck capacitive button).

Reactions: d14racer24

kanucme

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site

What is the most stable ics build right now? I have a few features like open garden, go SMS and a few other apps and want to know which build runs the smoothest

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888