ICS Update for the Nexus S 4G Discussion Thread

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Who ever thinks that this is fraud is a complete moron. You obviously haven't taken a basic business law or marketing class before.

Could it be bad ethics? Sure, but fraud, not even close. Yet it isn't even bad business until non-vanilla phones start actually getting the update. Once that happens you can b*tch all you want.

You obviously have no manners, to come onto a board and call people a moron over a phone.

Here is a quote of what false advertising is from wikipedia:
"False advertising or deceptive advertising is the use of false or misleading statements in advertising."

Here is a quote of what fraud is from wikipedia:
"In criminal law, a fraud is an intentional deception made for personal gain or to damage another individual; the related adjective is fraudulent."

Google and Sprint are falsely advertising the Nexus S 4G as "first to receive software upgrades and new Google mobile apps". The key phrase is "first to receive new Google mobile apps". The NS4G is not the first to receive new Google mobile apps, as Google's Chrome mobile app has been available for a month but is has not been received on the NS4G. This is what makes it a false and misleading statement. As for how it is fraud, Google and Sprint have made personal gains on the sales of a phone that intentionally deceived about being able to receive New Google mobile apps.

Reactions: piaband

the727kid

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Wikipedia, really? Like the guy said, take this to small claims, see if you have a chance. I don't need manners on a forum, it is the internet. A lot of people complaining don't have manners with respect to Sprint and Google. Obviously it's not ready, you would still complain if you got a buggy version of ICS two months ago. The Nexus was advertised also as a pure google experience, which is based on open source. Which in turn means root your phone if you want the latest and coolest stuff.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Wikipedia, really? Like the guy said, take this to small claims, see if you have a chance. I don't need manners on a forum, it is the internet. A lot of people complaining don't have manners with respect to Sprint and Google. Obviously it's not ready, you would still complain if you got a buggy version of ICS two months ago. The Nexus was advertised also as a pure google experience, which is based on open source. Which in turn means root your phone if you want the latest and coolest stuff.

But here on Android Central we do have manners and follow a forum etiquette and rules. They are listed in my signature.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
You obviously have no manners, to come onto a board and call people a moron over a phone.

Here is a quote of what false advertising is from wikipedia:
"False advertising or deceptive advertising is the use of false or misleading statements in advertising."

Here is a quote of what fraud is from wikipedia:
"In criminal law, a fraud is an intentional deception made for personal gain or to damage another individual; the related adjective is fraudulent."

Google and Sprint are falsely advertising the Nexus S 4G as "first to receive software upgrades and new Google mobile apps". The key phrase is "first to receive new Google mobile apps". The NS4G is not the first to receive new Google mobile apps, as Google's Chrome mobile app has been available for a month but is has not been received on the NS4G. This is what makes it a false and misleading statement. As for how it is fraud, Google and Sprint have made personal gains on the sales of a phone that intentionally deceived about being able to receive New Google mobile apps.

Good luck with that. When you get laughed out of court don't expect anyone to be sympathetic.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

piaband

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't get all the complaining - we have seen the "test build" that came out of sprint, it had issues. Why would someone want to put something like that on their phone?

If you need ICS - use a rom.

I'll stick with GB.

I don't want that. I want google to devote enough resources so that I can get a bug free version for our phone.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

the727kid

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Obviously you missed the recent court action that awarded an att subscriber 800 dollars because att throttled his data.

You sound like the only moron ij this thread because all you can do is attack others. You can't seem to form any logical argumwnt with facts to support.

I feel sorry for you.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

What facts do you want? That law suit is completely different. I just find it humorous that a group of you complain so much about an unfinished product.

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Did you ever stop to think that maybe they are already riled up and pissed off? When companies refuse to acknowledge their users, provide absolutely no customer service and lie about their products features, you are going to have angry customers. That's just how it works. No matter how many excuses you want to make on Google's behalf, this is just not going to go away. But of course, as I am sure talking sense to you about consumer rights will never sink in as it never does for fanboys. So go ahead an tell yourself whatever you need to. Doesn't change the fact that Google and Sprint have lied to their customers and there are a lot of people that are pissed about this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Did you ever stop to think that maybe they are already riled up and pissed off? When companies refuse to acknowledge their users, provide absolutely no customer service and lie about their products features, you are going to have angry customers. That's just how it works. No matter how many excuses you want to make on Google's behalf, this is just not going to go away. But of course, as I am sure talking sense to you about consumer rights will never sink in as it never does for fanboys. So go ahead an tell yourself whatever you need to. Doesn't change the fact that Google and Sprint have lied to their customers and there are a lot of people that are pissed about this.

Funny, as the VAST majority of users don't care or know about ICS. The people who are on the phone forums are in the (again I use this word) VAST minority. If Google or Sprint lost even 50% of all people on these forums, it's such a minute amount of their business, they wouldn't care and it would hardly hurt them.

Keep on posting, you are comic relief... Lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Heads up.

Things have gone way off base in this thread last couple days, especially last night. Currently the arguments going on have turned this thread non productive and not worth having open.

Last warning, stop fueling the fire and the arguments or I will shut the thread down and future threads of this type.

Paul.

MacGuyInNC

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Heads up.

Things have gone way off base in this thread last couple days, especially last night. Currently the arguments going on have turned this thread non productive and not worth having open.

Last warning, stop fueling the fire and the arguments or I will shut the thread down and future threads of this type.

Paul.

Can we hug it out instead? :)

skinneejay

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
My thoughts on this are simple. I understand most people on this forum want ICS. Should google and sprint have sent this out already. YES! But they haven't and it won't come out until the Galaxy is out. I don't see people in the ATT and Tmoible Nexus S section crying. Didn't they stop the update on the TMobile Nexus?

People who are agruing that this is a Nexus and we should have the updates first tell me one non google phone that has ICS? We haven't been lied to.

If you want ICS now do what I did read the forum post educate yourself about rooting and install one of the great ICS roms out there. Most if not all are better than what google is going to release anyways.
Google gives the means to move ahead without having to wait for an update to roll out.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I will do you one even better, how about two non Google phones that are getting ICS - http://www.androidcentral.com/german-htc-sensation-xes-apparently-starting-get-ice-cream-sandwich

Neither of those phones were updated in the US so they really don't matter in this case as the Nexus S 4G is a North American phone only.

The international version of phones will usually always be updated by OEMs before a US phone as US carriers will want to add bloatware and will also require testing of their own before they push the update. Chances are the Nexus S and Nexus S 4G will be the first in the US to receive the update while the Galaxy Nexus is the first phone in the world to have ICS.

I made a post about this whole fiasco on Google+ and Jean-Baptiste Queru who works for Google as a Software Engineer for Android Open-Source Project (AOSP) had this to say in my post:

From where I sit, I focus very much on the Open-Source side of Android, so I don't quite have much visibility over the entire approval process for retail updates. I released the proprietary binaries that can be used to make version 4.0.3 of the Android Open-Source Project run on Nexus S 4G, at the same time as the other 4.0.3 binaries.

In the specific case of Nexus S 4G, I don't know how long the operator approval for 4.0.x is expected to take (but I know from experience that this phase alone varies from one operator to the next from a few weeks to a few months).

At the technical level, Nexus S 4G caused a few specific difficulties because of the WiMAX aspects, but those have all been resolved.

Speaking a lot more generally, I very much appreciate the enthusiasm around Android, but at times I believe that at times some people set their expectations a little bit too high. Even for flagship devices, there's a bit of delay in order for operators to check that the updated device works well across their entire network and to train their support staff to the specifics of the new version.

This is the same person who said on Twitter that Android 4.0.4 is unfinished. He also had this to say:

Rhcp ‏ @rhcp011235
@jbqueru Hehe, So, I guess you confirmed we wont see 4.0.4 but we will see a 4.0.5 release :)

Jean-Baptiste Queru ‏ @jbqueru
@rhcp011235 No, I didn't :) I confirmed that 4.0.4 isn't done yet :)
https://twitter.com/#!/jbqueru/status/175643037421154304

Don Rhummy ‏ @donrhummy
@jbqueru Can you give us some idea of what functionality in 4.0.4 is not yet done?

@donrhummy At this point it's all bugfixing. I know there are some kernel and some telephony issues being looked at, dunno the details.
https://twitter.com/#!/jbqueru/status/175712809684971521

Don Rhummy @donrhummy
@jbqueru Thanks! Any idea why there's been no updates about this? The lack of communication has left Nexus owners a bit frustrated. :)

@donrhummy It's not ready yet, so any pre-announcement would run the risk of being inaccurate.
https://twitter.com/#!/jbqueru/status/175755685877919744

So there you have it, straight from an actual employee of Google who works on AOSP. It's not an announcement (as he said, that would be a bad idea) but it's as official as we will ever get. It's pretty much straight from Google themselves.

TL;DR:
-Android 4.0.4 is unfinished and contains kernel and telephony issues. It's also got bugfixing to be done.
-According to Jean-Baptiste Queru, there will not be an announcement of any kind as the update is currently unfinished and could possibly be inaccurate by the time you read it.
-The 4.0.3 NS4G binaries have been finished for a while now. Google has done their part for that but it's apparent that Sprint decided to skip that and go to 4.0.4.
-Since the 4.0.4 update is unfinished, we're waiting on Google to finish bug testing then we must wait for Sprint to test the update internally and then brief their employees as GB > ICS is a pretty big upgrade and people will have questions.
-When 4.0.4 is finished, it could take weeks to a few months for us to actually receive it.

Honestly, the rumor of 4.0.5 releasing next Thursday is looking even more flawed as they probably aren't going to push 4.0.5 BEFORE 4.0.4.

Since I had so much fun posting this actual information, I guess I'll just update this thread with this type of information from time to time. It's certainly more productive than trying to convince people to stop with conspiracy theories. :|

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Neither of those phones were updated in the US so they really don't matter in this case as the Nexus S 4G is a North American phone only.

The international version of phones will usually always be updated by OEMs before a US phone as US carriers will want to add bloatware and will also require testing of their own before they push the update. Chances are the Nexus S and Nexus S 4G will be the first in the US to receive the update while the Galaxy Nexus is the first phone in the world to have ICS.

So by your reasoning why hasn't the GSM international version of the Nexus S received it's re release of ICS? It amazes me how the people that want to argue on Google's behalf keep on changing their rebuttals. After the original ICS release for the Nexus was canceled, it was "it hasn't been long enough to be upset". Then after three months it changes to "it hasn't been released on other devices yet", then when other devices get ICS before the Nexus S it changes to "well those phones aren't in the US". What is the next excuse for Google gonna be?

Frankly there is no excuse. Google specifically advertises the Nexus S and 4G as "the first to receive software upgrades and new Google mobile apps as soon as they become available". This includes the international GSM model as well as the American GSM and CDMA models. They have neither delivered on first to receive OS updates abroad or in America nor have they delivered on being the first to receive Google mobile apps. There is no arguing this. This is what they have done and this is what has happened. Period.