ICS Update for the Nexus S 4G Discussion Thread

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Looks like this leak of 4.0.4 is unfinished as well as there's no Tags app.

It shows up in the app list, but is no where to be found on the rest of the OS.

Still pretty stable and I barely used Tags anyway. Still interesting to note though.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Tags as a standalone app is dead. That was announced some time ago.

Google Tags Out With Bad Team Coordination - Search Engine Watch (#SEW)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

That's not the Tag I'm talking about.

I mean the NFC Tags app that is available in the Nexus S using the NFC chip. If you are running 2.3.x, go to the App Drawer and you'll see an app called "Tags". It uses NFC to share information.

If you have the latest 4.0.4 leak, go into Settings > Apps > All and you'll notice that Tags is there but if you go into the App Drawer, it's not there where as it should be.

BenjaSands

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
For anyone that is rooted on Cyanogen Mod 9...does your screen flicker periodically when you start an app that has a predominantly white screen to start? (Broswer, twitter etc)

?

It stopped for a while but my phone is doing it again and it had never done it prior to installing this ROM. It flickers slightly right before the respective app starts..any idea how to fix this? Or how to make the keys vibrate when I press em? (even though its set to vibrate on press)

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
That's not the Tag I'm talking about.

I mean the NFC Tags app that is available in the Nexus S using the NFC chip. If you are running 2.3.x, go to the App Drawer and you'll see an app called "Tags". It uses NFC to share information.

If you have the latest 4.0.4 leak, go into Settings > Apps > All and you'll notice that Tags is there but if you go into the App Drawer, it's not there where as it should be.

No, that's the tags app. It was sunsetted last year, but they did not remove it from phones in subsequent updates. That's why the Galaxy nexus does not have it.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
No, that's the tags app. It was sunsetted last year, but they did not remove it from phones in subsequent updates. That's why the Galaxy nexus does not have it.

It looks like you might be right, actually! My bad.

Looks like it's nothing more than a background service in 4.0.x instead of an app.

Carry on. :p

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
It looks like you might be right, actually! My bad.

Looks like it's nothing more than a background service in 4.0.x instead of an app.

Carry on. :p

No worries. I remember when they did it because I had a nexus s and actually found the app to be interesting to use. They just folded it into other apps, I believe.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
No worries. I remember when they did it because I had a nexus s and actually found the app to be interesting to use. They just folded it into other apps, I believe.

I never got to use the app. :( Did it actually work where you live?

I've never seen those Tag place things around Omaha... Hell, the only place that has NFC that I know of are McD's and Best Buy. I'll probably spend the rest of my free $10 on a game or something.

I wonder what the service itself does in ICS. Anyone know?

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I never got to use the app. :( Did it actually work where you live?

I've never seen those Tag place things around Omaha... Hell, the only place that has NFC that I know of are McD's and Best Buy. I'll probably spend the rest of my free $10 on a game or something.

I wonder what the service itself does in ICS. Anyone know?

It probably is still tied in with the NFC back end. Would be interesting to know for sure though.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
At this point I'm just curious to see if we get ICS before the first day I can upgrade (May 1st). I don't plan on upgrading right away...but with some LTE options coming up soon, I may jump off the Nexus train sooner than I had planned.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
At this point I'm just curious to see if we get ICS before the first day I can upgrade (May 1st). I don't plan on upgrading right away...but with some LTE options coming up soon, I may jump off the Nexus train sooner than I had planned.

The Galaxy Nexus will launch on April 22nd so if you want, call Sprint Retentions and ask for your upgrade to be bumped up early.

Do NOT do this until the phone launches as you'll have to use it immediately. Then you can just skip the Nexus S 4G all together and go straight to the Galaxy Nexus.

(Sprint Retentions is: 877-775-4886. Please don't abuse this number. They can do things for you that the normal Sprint number can't/won't do.)

Also, friend of mine works at a Sprint kiosk here in Omaha and he's said that the employees are able to preorder the Galaxy Nexus around April 22nd. So, it looks like those rumors about Sam's Club getting the phone then are true. So, bump your upgrade (again, when the phone releases and NOT before) and get the phone.

Last edited:

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
The Galaxy Nexus will launch on April 22nd so if you want, call Sprint Retentions and ask for your upgrade to be bumped up early.

Do NOT do this until the phone launches as you'll have to use it immediately. Then you can just skip the Nexus S 4G all together and go straight to the Galaxy Nexus.

(Sprint Retentions is: 877-775-4886. Please don't abuse this number. They can do things for you that the normal Sprint number can't/won't do.)

Also, friend of mine works at a Sprint kiosk here in Omaha and he's said that the employees are able to preorder the Galaxy Nexus around April 22nd. So, it looks like those rumors about Sam's Club getting the phone then are true. So, bump your upgrade (again, when the phone releases and NOT before) and get the phone.

I'm not really interested in the Galaxy Nexus. My next phone will have to hold me for 20 months at least and that one is already six months old. I'm not usually finicky about having the "latest and greatest"...but when I'm under contract on something, I'd like it to be more current than that. Besides..."Nexus" doesn't mean much to me. I may hold up until I have a few options. The new EVO looks promising. Either way, I'll try hands-on time before committing.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm not really interested in the Galaxy Nexus. My next phone will have to hold me for 20 months at least and that one is already six months old. I'm not usually finicky about having the "latest and greatest"...but when I'm under contract on something, I'd like it to be more current than that. Besides..."Nexus" doesn't mean much to me. I may hold up until I have a few options. The new EVO looks promising. Either way, I'll try hands-on time before committing.

Yeah, the "Nexus" line doesn't really matter on CDMA anymore anyway. I'd go GSM if you want a Nexus phone.

Well, at least you know you can bump your upgrade if you DO want something in April. You should give a review or something for the EVO on Youtube if you go that route, it looks nice.

bugz_92

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Its out ota apparently. It seems the"trick" In which I can pull the update down is not working for me. Any ideas?

Last edited:

kuoirad

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
So now that it's really out, is there anything I can do other than doing the *#*#checkin#*#* thing then going to check for an update?

Yes, I'm impatient (now). :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae