ICS Update for the Nexus S 4G Discussion Thread

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
So...here's a thing.

Not sure if that would work as it looks like those are just the leaked files from a few days ago.

HOWEVER. I got a PRL update from Sprint without even doing anything yesterday. So...there's that.

Anyone want to try this and see how it works?

(Note: Don't do this if you're not cool with possibly breaking something if this place is incorrect)

kuoirad

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
So...here's a thing.

Not sure if that would work as it looks like those are just the leaked files from a few days ago.

HOWEVER. I got a PRL update from Sprint without even doing anything yesterday. So...there's that.

Anyone want to try this and see how it works?

(Note: Don't do this if you're not cool with possibly breaking something if this place is incorrect)

Well, I'm downloading it. Not sure I'm brave enough to try it - never heard of that site before. I might unzip it and peek around.

Also wanted to note twice in the past couple weeks I seem to have gotten PRL updates overnight w/o doing anything - I distinctly remember one of them woke me up (the screen turned on).

*shrugs*

EDIT: I think this is the leak, not the OTA - exact same md5 hash.

Last edited:

elisfkc

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Well, I'm downloading it. Not sure I'm brave enough to try it - never heard of that site before. I might unzip it and peek around.

Also wanted to note twice in the past couple weeks I seem to have gotten PRL updates overnight w/o doing anything - I distinctly remember one of them woke me up (the screen turned on).

*shrugs*
Did it work?

kuoirad

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Did it work?

I didn't try it - like I said, not brave enough. Though after looking around, I believe it's the same file that was the leak - the md5 sums are the same. So I doubt if you could actually do the rename-and-boot-into-bootloader trick with this.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
As far as I'm aware nobody has yet received the OTA update. So anything else that is floating around is still the leaked "official" version from a few days back.

jstates916

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
I didn't try it - like I said, not brave enough. Though after looking around, I believe it's the same file that was the leak - the md5 sums are the same. So I doubt if you could actually do the rename-and-boot-into-bootloader trick with this.
yea I just tried it doesn't work -__-

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
The only way to get around not having a wiped device is two ways.

1. Receive the OTA update the way it was meant to be
2. Take the update.zip file which is essentially the OTA and flash/install it using the stock recovery.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken, they shouldn't. That would be the "update.zip" method.

Looks like I'm mistaken, nevermind then. :p

As for the OTA:

Sprint Community: **System OTA Update Thread** Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwhich Nexus S 4G

According to Sprint reps on their forum, the OTA isn't widespread yet as it'll take some time to reach their system from corporate. Apparently the OTA IS out there, but as I said, not everyone's going to freak out and say something because not everyone is tech-savvy as those on these forums and XDA. :p

My guess is anyone who has it now doesn't really know that the update has been wanted for so long and updated without much fanfare. Remember, this phone's been given out as free for a while now so that means a lot of non-tech savvy people can get it easy.

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
You about hit that one the head...

Anyone sees a legitament link to the OTA package feel free to PM it to me and I'll open up the official thread with it...

Remember, its going to be an update package from Gingerbread v2.3.7 to ICS 4.0.4.

Anything else is a fake or doctored.

Reactions: Ryuuie and elisfkc

plee82

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Some ppl are saying they got the OTA yesterday but these are non techy ppl that don't know how to get the OTA URL... I am at least asking them what's the baseband version.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12