ICS Update for the Nexus S 4G Discussion Thread

jstates916

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
I saw that video earlier today.

...It's incredibly laggy. I'm not sure what this guy is running in terms of apps and Iservices, but it has HORRIBLE lag when trying to scroll.

i've never gotten lag on ICS as I tend to keep my phone clean and free of games if I'm not going to play them right away. Maybe it's just how he has his phone set up.

But I've also noticed his phone is/was rooted. So if he wasn't running a stock ROM then he would've not gotten the OTA. So who knows.
yeah but then again he just booted up from the update process I'm sure it's going to be laggy at first.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
yeah but then again he just booted up from the update process I'm sure it's going to be laggy at first.

That was WAY too slow for it to be the official OTA. Seriously, even when all your apps are being added, it's still not that slow. It locked up the App Drawer when he was trying to use it. If everyone had this issue, no one would want the Nexus S 4G to get ICS so badly.

This reeks of a rooted phone and someone lying on YouTube. He also had ROM Recovery on his phone, which only works on a rooted phone.

Not to mention most people go straight to About Phone to prove they're on the official update and he steered far clear of that.

Also, confirmation on the Sprint forums that some on XDA DO have the update and not a leaked ROM. Google is in control of this update and will be pushing it out over the next 10 to 21 days.

EDIT: If your device is not signed correctly by Sprint, you will NOT receive this OTA or any future OTAs. This means, you need to get off of the leaked 4.0.4 and get back on Gingerbread as it's most likely not signed by Sprint as it's not the finished product.

Everyone who is still on Gingerbread should have the update on or around April 15, 2012 at the earliest and April 26, 2012 at the latest.

I've updated my signature to reflect this.

Last edited:
Reactions: ForTheGlory

smcolbert

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. I didn't get the 2.3.5 update until about 2 weeks after the OTA started. It's usually a 3 or so week process overall. Rolling out like 5% each day.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, the OTA started on the 5th so 10 days from that is Sunday, April 15th and 21 is 26th. Let's hope it's the 15th because that's only 1 week away.

I don't even know how long it took Omaha, NE to get 2.3.7 because I just used the update.zip method. :p Unfortunately, as I said last page, that method no longer works after you update to ICS. =/

sk1win

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone with the leaked version able to take screenshots with the volume down + power button? It doesn't work for me. Otherwise, ICS is so much better and faster and the battery efficiency is marked.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
It works if you use cwm :) good thing I unlocked my bootloader the.day I got the phone.

Fyi. If you use Odin you will receive all updates from sprint.

You guys forget that not everyone wants or knows how to unlock the bootloader and not everyone wants or knows how to use Odin.

There are a lot more non-technical people with this phone than technical. Most of those people have the update already. :p

Is anyone with the leaked version able to take screenshots with the volume down + power button? It doesn't work for me. Otherwise, ICS is so much better and faster and the battery efficiency is marked.

You have to hold it for a few seconds.

kuoirad

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
You guys forget that not everyone wants or knows how to unlock the bootloader and not everyone wants or knows how to use Odin.

There are a lot more non-technical people with this phone than technical. Most of those people have the update already. :p

You're very right. However, I think it would be somewhat safe to say that most people here are technical enough to know about the other options. Whether they take advantage of them or not (for instance, I have not, by choice) is a different matter.

I *am* a little disappointed to hear that the updating-through-the-bootloader method won't be available anymore after the ICS update. I get impatient waiting for Sprint/Google to push an update when I know it's out there... ;)

gunderson

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

Very true, but I like to also safely assume that compared to other Android phones(i.e. non-Nexus), there is a much higher percentage of Nexus S owners who ARE tech-oriented(than say for example the percentage of EVO users who are techies).
Alles klar? Ja wohl.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
You're very right. However, I think it would be somewhat safe to say that most people here are technical enough to know about the other options. Whether they take advantage of them or not (for instance, I have not, by choice) is a different matter.

I *am* a little disappointed to hear that the updating-through-the-bootloader method won't be available anymore after the ICS update. I get impatient waiting for Sprint/Google to push an update when I know it's out there... ;)

Very true, but I like to also safely assume that compared to other Android phones(i.e. non-Nexus), there is a much higher percentage of Nexus S owners who ARE tech-oriented(than say for example the percentage of EVO users who are techies).
Alles klar? Ja wohl.

You both pretty much said the same thing. :V But I agree with you both though. I think, if the Nexus S wasn't free for a while, it'd have more techies than non-techs. When I first saw the Galaxy Nexus in the store here (a working demo in a Verizon part of the mall), NO ONE touched it. Absolutely no one. Everyone was too interested in the HTCs and Samsungs (non-Nexus), and Motorolas.

I'm not sure why the update.zip method no longer works. I wish it did but using the fastboot method/Odin isn't that bad. I just feel for those who don't want to do it as they'll be waiting a while (unless Google pushes the factory images...and they have to wipe their device).

kuoirad

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
You both pretty much said the same thing. :V But I agree with you both though. I think, if the Nexus S wasn't free for a while, it'd have more techies than non-techs. When I first saw the Galaxy Nexus in the store here (a working demo in a Verizon part of the mall), NO ONE touched it. Absolutely no one. Everyone was too interested in the HTCs and Samsungs (non-Nexus), and Motorolas.

I'm not sure why the update.zip method no longer works. I wish it did but using the fastboot method/Odin isn't that bad. I just feel for those who don't want to do it as they'll be waiting a while (unless Google pushes the factory images...and they have to wipe their device).

I *did* get my NS4G because it was free. OTOH, I *am* also more than technically inclined enough to mess with the fastboot/Odin methods - I just don't want to put up with backing up my device and all that stuff. I'm lazy - I do enough of that type of stuff in my job (sysadmin for a hard science department at a major university) that I don't want to mess with it on my phone. Kinda like how I gave up building my own computer and such...

Don't get me wrong - I'm getting a little tired of the "just root it!" people myself. Some of us just want our phones to work w/o messing around with it.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I *did* get my NS4G because it was free. OTOH, I *am* also more than technically inclined enough to mess with the fastboot/Odin methods - I just don't want to put up with backing up my device and all that stuff. I'm lazy - I do enough of that type of stuff in my job (sysadmin for a hard science department at a major university) that I don't want to mess with it on my phone. Kinda like how I gave up building my own computer and such...

Don't get me wrong - I'm getting a little tired of the "just root it!" people myself. Some of us just want our phones to work w/o messing around with it.

I hear you there. I didn't want to flash the leak, but I got sick of waiting so long and just did it. I didn't have to back up much since Google Voice is in control of my texts anyway and I've never had a problem with it. I also barely get MMS messages anymore, mostly e-mails.

But. as you said, sometimes you just don't want to mess with your phone. It's great that Android has these customizations if you want to, but you shouldn't have to rely on it as a lot of people seem to do.

I'll ask JBQ on Twitter about it, maybe he can give some insight about why it no longer works.

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
But. as you said, sometimes you just don't want to mess with your phone. It's great that Android has these customizations if you want to, but you shouldn't have to rely on it as a lot of people seem to do.

Agreed. I had the Samsung Moment and later the Optimus S, and both required root->custom recovery->custom ROM in order to behave the way I want. Without doing all that messing around on those phones, I would have to put up with crazy bugs, silly carrier restrictions, carrier crapware, and so little internal storage that I'd regularly run out of space for my apps. That's one of the reasons I love this phone - I don't have to do any of that and my phone meets my needs. Yes, I know I could get more out of it if I messed around and used CM or some other ROM, but for my purposes it is unnecessary. But the tradeoff is that I'm at the mercy of the "official" distribution channel.

Anyway, I'll patiently wait for my OTA.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
There's no way to stick this in my sig, but according to Sprint's representatives, the CHECKIN method (dialing *#*#checkin#*#* on the dialer) won't work. This update is coming from Google themselves, not Sprint so it's not possible for a customer to initiate it.

Google is making sure the update will release slowly so as to check for feedback make sure they don't get overloaded. My guess is they don't want a repeat of 4.0.3 where they rushed it out and a lot of people got hit with showstopping bugs.

Reactions: kuoirad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay