I'm thinking about dropping the insurance for two reasons, one I have to paid 100 bucks for a refurb. And two I would rather just buy a new one off of ebay for 200. I could also just fix my own anyways. whats your thoughts? Does anyone not have TEP?
    02-13-2012 05:49 PM
    I have the insurance because of my daughter. She has gone through 4 different epics in a year... While I went through 2 of them. Lol

02-13-2012 07:20 PM
    I just wonder if it's worth it because I'll either buy a new nexus s or fix mine.
    02-13-2012 07:23 PM
    I am thinking of adding this just so I can get a new (even if refurbed S 4G) my friend sold me his and I am conflicted on whether I should add this. Especially since the biggest risk is dropping it and its over for the phone but i dont think it would be covered if something like this happened...not sure
    02-13-2012 07:42 PM
    I have the geek squad one... no deductible.
    02-13-2012 07:42 PM
    Been worth it to me... I had multiple Epic 4g's replaced, fixed... My daughters old BB... It has paid for itself a few times over in my case.
    02-13-2012 11:19 PM
    I have 3 phones on my plan. When i dropped my insiurance it was because i did the math, 3 phones @ 7$ is 21/month. round that up to 25, thats 300$/year. my daughters phone was lost and i had to pay a 100$ deductible plus the money to overnight it to her. That was after having insurance for a number of years, so i thought at 300/year its cheaper to buy a new phone......
    02-14-2012 05:30 AM
    I use best buy insurance 3 dollars more a months, no deductible just get my phone

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
    02-14-2012 08:59 AM
    With Sprint TEP up to $8 now, it's only two more a month to go with Best Buy, If you use the insurance once in four years, it is still cheaper, than one loss on TEP.
    02-14-2012 11:06 AM
    The only bad part about Best Buy's protection is that you may have to wait a little longer to get a replacement phone.. I was told when I signed up that may be a day or two before receiving the replacement. Usually if you bring a broken phone to Sprint, they can get you a replacement right there if they have enough in stock.
    02-14-2012 11:35 AM
    I've had to wait several days in the past with Sprint. I honestly think the Best Buy is a no brainer.
    02-14-2012 11:37 AM
    I have sprints TEP plan on my Nexus and my girls Epic 4g. She has broken her phone twice and lost it once.
    So I paid $100 for a new one and nothing the other times she broke her phone.
    I guess its a piece of mind. Usually after a year or when the phone is up I just take it off.
    02-14-2012 11:56 AM
    I don't have TEP. I picked my NS4G up on ebay for $142 several months ago... the $100 deductible + $8/month = more than I paid for my phone after about 5 months. As long as my phone lasts over 5 months (which I think it has) and assuming I find a replacement for around $150 (which is not terribly hard), I come out ahead without TEP.
    02-14-2012 11:59 AM
    I had the Sprint plan for a while, never had any problems with it. But when I got the NS4G for both myself and my wife, I went for the Best Buy plan. From what I can see, the only downside to the Best Buy plan is that it DOES NOT cover a lost phone, where as Sprint's Insurance will. I typically don't lose phones, but once on a trip to Punta Cana, our phones were stolen from our room. So....you never know.
    02-14-2012 12:32 PM
    Best Buy does include a nifty app with their protection incase you do loose it though.
    02-14-2012 12:37 PM
    I think the overall moral of this thread is YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) depending on your initial costs of the device and other factors. I believe a high percentage of users will have some sort of insurance regardless of the provider.

Good thread, this will probably be a good resource for future users making this decision.
    02-14-2012 01:24 PM
    I think I might just buy a new one. I'm not really a refurb kinda guy. Plus I heard of other people having to settle for another device. To me nothing compares to a nexus s. Until the Gnex comes.
    02-14-2012 08:10 PM
    I've never had insurance in 15 cell phone years. Could have used it once. It really just depends on the individual. I would go with Best Buy over Sprint if I had to though because of the lack of a deductible.
    02-14-2012 11:01 PM
    The only thing the insurance from sprint is good for if you lose or drop it in a glass of water. If something malfunctions you can use the samsung warranty or have sprint fix it for 35 dollars it includes parts. Sprint is replacing my camera for 35 dollars on my Nexus S.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    02-15-2012 12:58 AM
    I have 6 phones or $48 a month. When I first got my Nexus, the software crashed, it was so new, Sprint couldn't fix it nor would they replace (another story), so I learned Odin, and many other things to reset and fix phone direct with software from Samsung.

If you are in this forum, you can fix whatever you do to your phone. TEP is good for lost or damaged only.
    As some have said above, if you lose a phone after one year, with deductible, its 200. You can buy on Ebay
    or Craigs list for less, add insurnace for a month to be sure that one works, then drop. You also save the $36 activation/upgrade fee since you can do yourself online or over the 800. You are ahead.

And you don't use your now 1 every 2 years instead of 1 a year upgrade.

Now for my teenage daughters, I reactivated, but after 1 year, I drop and go the above method.
    02-15-2012 11:36 AM
    Don't know if it's changed recently, but I had Best Buy's insurance when I had the Pre. Took it in because of a cracked screen and they had it for a month before they decided to give me a new phone. They had loaner phones but they were just flip phones and you had to put a deposit of like $150 to get one.

When I tried to cancel, they kept charging me every month even after several calls trying to cancel it. I ended up having to call my bank and report it as fraud to block the authorization when they tried to charge me. Sure enough, I got a automated phone call from BB the next month because they tried to charge me and it was declined.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    02-20-2012 08:15 AM
    I have always had TEP it is more convenient to walk in get the phone swapped and be on your way then to hunt online for a deal. Then hope your deal is what was advertised.

And why do so many people have a problem with refurbs? It is no different that buying someone used phone.
    02-20-2012 09:32 AM
    Not true when it comes to cell phones.. Refurbed cell phones are a mixed bag- I've had problems with Palm Pre (insert joke here) refurbs, and my girlfriend had problems with her Epic 4G refurb.. Any other electronic item I fully support refurbs, but it seems cell phones aren't as closely examined..

However, it wouldn't stop me from rolling the dice with it if it meant saving $300.
    02-20-2012 09:54 AM
    Yes you can get a bad refurb but you can likely keep swapping if that is the case.
    02-20-2012 10:18 AM
    TEP is worth it in my opinion. I have used it multiple times in the last 6 years to get replacement devices. Especially when I burned through 4 Palm Pre's. Not having TEP would have caused me a lot of heartache.

Since Sprint did away with the yearly upgrade for Premiere Customers it has been my saving grace. I decided to switch from the OG EVO to a Nexus S, and I rolled the dice and bought a refurb unit off Ebay. It turned out to be a turd, and since I had TEP i took it to a Sprint repair center, they tested it (it failed a few tests) and they gave me a new phone. So basically I got a new NS4G for the Ebay price of $200. That's about a $400 savings just on that phone. And then I had the EVO that I handed down to my son replaced since it was on TEP, so, yeah, it's been a good deal for me.
    02-23-2012 11:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD