4.0.4 on Feb 16th

elisfkc

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
You are kidding, of course.

I used to live at Ground Zero (Palo Alto). Mid-level managers (at best) aren't going to tell you anything. Once in a long while, some drunk kid will leave hardware lying around (Apple, fired). Absent this, ift is all just fun speculation.

2/17 - 10:02, I'm telling ya.

Sprint acts different than Google. The employees usually will tell you something like this on Sprint campus. Google has more competitors to worry about losing the advantage to. All Sprint loses in this case is keeping it a secret. They aren't competing with anyone that would find this information as valuable as anything coming out of Google. Plus, you are talking about Apple, one of the most secretive companies in the world. This isn't Apple; it's Sprint. They don't act the same. Otherwise, Sprint wouldn't be number 3 in the big 4 carriers.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
To be completely honest...I've run Sense longer on my phone than anything "official". I got this phone basically 2 reasons: Updates before other phones and because I was scarred by the Epic 4Gs updates never happening lol. So not to have ICS is just making me sour on the GN coming to Sprint. Besides...by the time the GN is available on Sprint...early summer at the earliest I think, the SGS3 will have more info available if not released already elsewhere and be shortly around the corner lol.

So I would just like to get the official out so that people would stop whining about not having it :p

You just explained the one of the reasons people are sour against CDMA devices. :p

Yes, the GNex is coming to Sprint...but since it's CDMA, Sprint controls when the updates come...and they may not come on time. Not to mention the whole radios thing.

One of the worries of CDMA isn't "Google won't support my device EVERRR", it seems to be "CDMA devices will be updated slower than GSM" The way Sprint is handling the NS4G doesn't seem to help that worry.

ZiggSVO

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
You just explained the one of the reasons people are sour against CDMA devices. :p

Yes, the GNex is coming to Sprint...but since it's CDMA, Sprint controls when the updates come...and they may not come on time. Not to mention the whole radios thing.

One of the worries of CDMA isn't "Google won't support my device EVERRR", it seems to be "CDMA devices will be updated slower than GSM" The way Sprint is handling the NS4G doesn't seem to help that worry.

Glad you picked up on that ;)
Which is why I said the SGS3 will be right on the coat tails of the GN :p

betachains

May 7, 2011
Visit site
If anyone looks at the history of release rumors, it is obvious they are all so much hoo-eee. We all buy into them, of course, because they are so much fun.

Android 5.0.00.00. 004 - release date 2/22.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
If anyone looks at the history of release rumors, it is obvious they are all so much hoo-eee. We all buy into them, of course, because they are so much fun.

Exactly. Until you see your phone reboot, rumors don't mean a [WARNING: blatant cursing filter avoidance ahead] gosh darn thing.

betachains

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Sprint acts different than Google. The employees usually will tell you something like this on Sprint campus. Google has more competitors to worry about losing the advantage to. All Sprint loses in this case is keeping it a secret. They aren't competing with anyone that would find this information as valuable as anything coming out of Google. Plus, you are talking about Apple, one of the most secretive companies in the world. This isn't Apple; it's Sprint. They don't act the same. Otherwise, Sprint wouldn't be number 3 in the big 4 carriers.

"Hi Guys. Thanks for coming to today's morning meeting. We are releasing 4.0.4 next week 2/22. Please keep it secret. If it leaks out, sorry, but every one of you in this small group will be fired. No more $100K, no bennies, no free daily gourmet lunches, stock options stop vesting. Any questions?"

elisfkc

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
"Hi Guys. Thanks for coming to today's morning meeting. We are releasing 4.0.4 next week 2/22. Please keep it secret. If it leaks out, sorry, but every one of you in this small group will be fired. No more $100K, no bennies, no free daily gourmet lunches, stock options stop vesting. Any questions?"

Except that's not how Sprint works. The employees like to tell you when things are happening like this. The problem is getting the right version. Sometimes, you ask 3 different Sprint employees, you get three different answers. Usually, the store on campus knows the truth.

TropicalSammich

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
i was in a sprint store last night, i saw the banner for myself on the ISC homepage. But again, just because it's there, doesn't mean it's happening. I've seen this occur many times in the past.

PS, no ICS on my NS4G as of this writing.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
this is very disappointing and does not bode well for the CDMA G-Nex in terms of updates. the whole point of the Nexus phones is to get fast OS updates directly from Google. and here we are how many months after ICS was released and Nexus S 4G owners are left holding nothing but Gingerbread and their dicks in their hands. IMO this is disgraceful, unconscionable, and unacceptable. i have 2 requests for Google -

1. release all future Nexus phones on all U.S. carriers at once that want to offer them.
2. prioritize the OS update deployment schedule on all current modern Nexus phones.

right now you have 1% of the user base and developers that have access to Ice Cream Sandwich and NFC Google Mobile Wallet. why? because of dumb carrier exclusives and poor priorities. if you want Google Wallet to become the de facto standard of mobile commerce you have to get it in people's hands asap. if you want ICS to become the mobile standard and ADVANCE THE PLATFORM you have to get it into people's hands. otherwise you are just shooting yourselves in the ass. far bigger companies than you have gone from market leaders to zero in a relative short time through such a series of dumb moves. you've been warned.

MacGuyInNC

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Just reamed @android and @sprint via Twitter. HTC announced that a bunch of their phones are getting ICS in March.

What a bunch of horsecrap.

MacGuyInNC

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Broken hearts and broken dreams. I use to care but then I rooted. I since then I've gotten 5 updates thanks to Peter Alfonso.

As I've said before, there are those of us who can't (for whatever reason) root. I'm one such person.

Thus, my frustration with Google and Sprint for their total lack of communication with their userbase.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
As I've said before, there are those of us who can't (for whatever reason) root. I'm one such person.

Thus, my frustration with Google and Sprint for their total lack of communication with their userbase.

90% of the nexus owners (userbase) don't even know what ICS is and could give a rats behind if they get it or not. :D Do you really think sprint or Google is going to go out of their way for that tiny 10% share?

MacGuyInNC

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
90% of the nexus owners (userbase) don't even know what ICS is and could give a rats behind if they get it or not. :D Do you really think sprint or Google is going to go out of their way for that tiny 10% share?

Then why do they bother with all the fanfare? If they're not trying to market it as a huge leap forward with the Android OS, they could save the money they spent on ads and PR.

And I think your 10% figure is way off. There are a lot of people who want ICS. They may not know why, but they "know" that they want it.

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Probably true. What is funny is that once we all get ICS, we'll be wanting Jellybean! ;) Always a "next big thing" down the pike. I am rooted and alternate between different ROMs on all of my phones so while it will be cool to see the "official" version, I'm not holding my breath.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34