4.0.4 on Feb 16th

betachains

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Then why do they bother with all the fanfare? If they're not trying to market it as a huge leap forward with the Android OS, they could save the money they spent on ads and PR.

And I think your 10% figure is way off. There are a lot of people who want ICS. They may not know why, but they "know" that they want it.

I've been usiing ICS on my rooted NS4G for a while. From the user point of view, it is not that different from Gingerbread. The things I really like about my current setup (adjustable autobrightness, status-bar widgets, Voodoo colors, etc.) are add-ons by the mods and not part of ICS.

People will still want it because it is the newest and the latest, but the vast majority won't notice much difference.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Google should want ICS (or the latest Android version) in as many people's hands as possible because it advances and entrenches the platform. in addition, getting Google Wallet in as many hands as possible helps it become the de facto standard. IMO you want as many customers as possible using your "latest and greatest" OS - ESPECIALLY if you're Google who MONETIZES THOSE USERS THROUGH SEARCH AND SERVICES. the more advanced and modern and commerce-services-search integrated the OS is - the more likely that Google will make $$$$$$$$$$$$ from the user.

get it?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Then why do they bother with all the fanfare? If they're not trying to market it as a huge leap forward with the Android OS, they could save the money they spent on ads and PR.

And I think your 10% figure is way off. There are a lot of people who want ICS. They may not know why, but they "know" that they want it.

I don't think that figure is off at all. If it's off it's off the other way.
About the only people who care or know are the people on phone forums. That's probably less than 1% of people who buy phones.

Last edited:

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Google should want ICS (or the latest Android version) in as many people's hands as possible because it advances and entrenches the platform. in addition, getting Google Wallet in as many hands as possible helps it become the de facto standard. IMO you want as many customers as possible using your "latest and greatest" OS - ESPECIALLY if you're Google who MONETIZES THOSE USERS THROUGH SEARCH AND SERVICES. the more advanced and modern and commerce-services-search integrated the OS is - the more likely that Google will make $$$$$$$$$$$$ from the user.

get it?

Actually I don't get it. Maybe I am a bit off here but my NS4G had Google Wallet already...before I rooted and before ICS... Are you referring to other Android devices and the fact that perhaps there should be a standard (kind of like the A-word company) where everyone is on the same platform??

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Lol, if you think rooting the NS4G is hard...try it on the EVO 3D! Anyway, I had followed the guide posted here back in October and it was relatively painless to unlock the bootloader and root. Good luck! :)

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Actually I don't get it. Maybe I am a bit off here but my NS4G had Google Wallet already...before I rooted and before ICS... Are you referring to other Android devices and the fact that perhaps there should be a standard (kind of like the A-word company) where everyone is on the same platform??

read my post again. it's more than just about Google Wallet.

fuzzeeman

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
Rooting is very simple as long as you know how to use terminal on your computer. its pretty automated if you find the right thread. Mac or Pc?

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
read my post again. it's more than just about Google Wallet.

Sorry... I seriously didn't get it. I am capable of reading and what I got out of your post is that as many people as possible should be on the most current Android platform. However, there is so much more to it than that. For example, certain Android devices just aren't capable to handle builds above a certain point. Apple controls their releases and basically everyone is on the same platform, whereas Android is not limited to one manufacturer and there are many builds, as I am certain you know. If that wasn't the intent of your post then I guess, again, that I don't get it. No need to be snarky.

elisfkc

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I was wrong. The guys at the Sprint campus store told me they don't even know when it's coming out. They said that it should be someone in the next couple of months but officially it's before the end of first-quarter.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I was wrong. The guys at the Sprint campus store told me they don't even know when it's coming out. They said that it should be someone in the next couple of months but officially it's before the end of first-quarter.

Which means by the end of March..."officially"