[ICS][NS4G]Official Nexus S 4G ICS/Android 4.0.4 Update

BW

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the tip! It worked. The phone is rebooting and upgrading as I type. Funny that I had to do that step, as well as manually choose to reboot after the file unzipped.

I'm mainly eager for the enhanced voice to text and the synchronizing of my browser bookmarks from computer to phone. What a benefit, though I'm sure there are more than those.

cabrone

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Things I've noticed so far.
Panoramic Camera-stock camera option
Less ability to customize the volume bars (no big deal)
Under Display you can increase system font
Under Wireless Networks there is a VPN option
Under Sound there is an option "Music Effects (with two options on it for me, MusicFx; which keeps FCing on me, and Volume+)
Under Language and Input you can toggle Keyboard settings (such as vibrate)

Can someone verify that Hot-Spot works? Mine turns on with zero error, but do not want to accidentally get billed for it.

gandalf1369

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm having a problem getting the ICS update, either via OTA or my the manual method outlined in the first post in the thread. Hopefully someone can help me out . . . .

When I try to use the manual method I get the following error when ClockworkMod Recovery attempts to execute the update.zip file: "assert failed: apply_patch_check: /system/vendor/lib/libsec-ril.so" Installation aborted."

In the past I had applied Pete's CRESPO4GTETHERFIX to my phone and I'm pretty sure that the fix replaced my original libsec-ril.so file with a new one and this is messing up the update process.

Is there anyway I can fix this and get my phone up to ICS 4.0.4?? If I have to lose the tether fix to get ICS then so be it.

Thanks for any help and suggestions . . .

johnnyappleseed

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I am running the stock 2.3.7 ROM, but I have a custom kernel installed along with CWM. Do I have any way to upgrade to ICS without losing apps/data?

I'm thinking I could install the stock kernel and then unroot? If that would work, I just need to locate the stock kernel as it's not in any of the kernel threads.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I am running the stock 2.3.7 ROM, but I have a custom kernel installed along with CWM. Do I have any way to upgrade to ICS without losing apps/data?

I'm thinking I could install the stock kernel and then unroot? If that would work, I just need to locate the stock kernel as it's not in any of the kernel threads.

You can make Titanium or MyBackup Root backup of your apps/data and then once you get on ICS.... Redownload your apps, then restore data only to them.

tkny86

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
I got "signature verification failed". Anyone knows how to resolve the issue? Thanks!

Issue resolved. ICS updated successfully.

My issue was Mac related. Mac OS would automatically expand the zip file when you click on the link. The ICS update will fail if you try to compress the file back and use it. Instead you will need to right mouse click on the file link, and select "Download Linked File as..." Save the file as "update.zip", load it onto your NS4G, and you are good to go.

johnnyappleseed

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
You can make Titanium or MyBackup Root backup of your apps/data and then once you get on ICS.... Redownload your apps, then restore data only to them.
Good call, thanks.

I've made a 4.0.4 version of the "One Click Return to Stock" that you have stickied in the ROM section. I'll reply to that thread with a link when it's done uploading. This will make it so people don't have to go to 2.3.4 and then step through the updates to get the OTA.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Good call, thanks.

I've made a 4.0.4 version of the "One Click Return to Stock" that you have stickied in the ROM section. I'll reply to that thread with a link when it's done uploading. This will make it so people don't have to go to 2.3.4 and then step through the updates to get the OTA.
Good stuff..

Yep its not a hard deal, just swap out the images.

seabd

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
can get to fastboot mode. then choose recovery. but yellow exclamation point in a triangle comes up. phone wont do anything from there. i downloaded the .zip to my SD card. not sure what to do next

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay