[ICS][NS4G]Official Nexus S 4G ICS/Android 4.0.4 Update

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Is there a rooted version of this or one in the works? I installed the last leak of 4.0.4 7 days ago as an update (changed file name to update.zip). This OTA is only for people already on gingerbread, so i cant use that option, and Mybackup Pro hasnt fixed the problem with backing up market links since the Google Play Store update, so i cant go through that option.

any help?

I haven't seen any stock custom ROMs build off this yet. Most custom ROMs updated their builds to support the new 4.0.4 code when official source was released by Google a week or two ago.

Dangerskew

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
It's awesome to see this update finally out and official! I'm sadly running into some issues installing it, and if anyone would care to help it would be much appreciated.

My GF has the Nexus S 4G and the update was pushed to her OTA today. She's totally stock GB; locked bootloader, but still rooted. Anyways, when the phone reboots to install the update (after receiving the update notification), the phone just hangs at the yellow triangle recovery screen until you press Power + VolUp. When the actual installation process begins, it is aborted right afterwords. The phone (which is using stock recovery, btw) gives a "Status 7" error, complaining about the system app "thinkfree.apk". M'lady removed the Thinkfree Office bloatware app with Titanium Backup long ago, and it appears that this is preventing the update from installing.

Is there any way I can get thinkfree.apk back on the phone and re-installed? I really hope I can get this installed without having to do a wipe back to stock; it would suck to lose everything.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
It's awesome to see this update finally out and official! I'm sadly running into some issues installing it, and if anyone would care to help it would be much appreciated.

My GF has the Nexus S 4G and the update was pushed to her OTA today. She's totally stock GB; locked bootloader, but still rooted. Anyways, when the phone reboots to install the update (after receiving the update notification), the phone just hangs at the yellow triangle recovery screen until you press Power + VolUp. When the actual installation process begins, it is aborted right afterwords. The phone (which is using stock recovery, btw) gives a "Status 7" error, complaining about the system app "thinkfree.apk". M'lady removed the Thinkfree Office bloatware app with Titanium Backup long ago, and it appears that this is preventing the update from installing.

Is there any way I can get thinkfree.apk back on the phone and re-installed? I really hope I can get this installed without having to do a wipe back to stock; it would suck to lose everything.

Okay.. So she has a locked bootloader and stock recovery. I take it she originally installed SU to remove some bloatware and in the process used to obtain root it didn't make CWM recovery stick during the rooting process.

Let me ask, is it still bootable into GB?

If so, does it still have functioning Superuser/root? For example if you download Titanium Backup from the Market (Free) and install it does it ask for Superuser permission at startup (signaling you have root access)?

If she does still have root, then you can do the following....

1. Install Mybackup Root (I suggest this being more user friendly than Titanium Backup). Make a full backup of app (apks & data).
2. Make sure you export contacts list to sdcard (just incase)
3. Pull the contacts list exported off your sdcard along with the REWARE (MyBackup Root folder) to your computer.
4. You will have to unroot the device [GUIDE] Restore to Stock/Unroot for the Nexus S 4g
5. Now you can get the OTA or manually update to ICS.
6. Root it again [Guide] Rooting the Nexus S 4G (Windows Version)
7. Then pull back those files you saved on your computer to your sdcard and reinstall MyBackup Root.
8. Then redownload her apps, then use MyBackup Root to restore (data only) to those apps. Reason being data only is some apps have changed since GB and those apps won't run properly on ICS.

That should be it, she will be updated and have her apps & data back.. Only thing she will have to toy with a bit is some basic system settings but that is a given being a new OS anyways...

This is really the only way to save her data because with her bootloader locked we can't put CWM recovery back (to flash the missing files) on her device without unlocking the bootloader which will wipe the device.

That is why we do suggest if you ever do unlock your device, even if you leave it stock-rooted to leave the bootloader unlocked.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Dangerskew

Dangerskew

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, luckily the phone still boots into GB perfectly fine, SU and all. She did a full backup in Titanium Backup right when the news hit that 4.0.4 was official and coming OTA. Out of curiosity, what would happen if one were to perform an "app + data" restore of an ICS-incompatible app with TB?

Thanks a ton for the quick and thorough answer; that's exactly what I needed to know. And yeah, having the bootloader unlocked would've definitely been ideal, but back when she got the phone I was ignorant and kind-of assumed that a Nexus phone would have an unlocked bootloader out of the box like my Epic did.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, luckily the phone still boots into GB perfectly fine, SU and all. She did a full backup in Titanium Backup right when the news hit that 4.0.4 was official and coming OTA. Out of curiosity, what would happen if one were to perform an "app + data" restore of an ICS-incompatible app with TB?

Thanks a ton for the quick and thorough answer; that's exactly what I needed to know. And yeah, having the bootloader unlocked would've definitely been ideal, but back when she got the phone I was ignorant and kind-of assumed that a Nexus phone would have an unlocked bootloader out of the box like my Epic did.

Well an incompatible app would crash/fc....

So I would redownload the apps manually and then restore data only using TB.

To make the process easier, if she was to log into the Google Play Store (Market) online via computer you can see her download history for the NS4G and then select which apps you need to re download right from there... Makes the process a bit easier than looking them up on the phone 1 x 1...

jezer29

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
So can I take screen shots or no now? Cus I can't seem to find out if I can or not? I pressed the volume up + power button like I've seen in the video but nothing happened :confused:

rob25

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I got the ics update already this ics is tight no bugs everything work 100% no tech problems thank Google n sprint for the ics update Android 4.0.4 ns4g

cptsales

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Love it, I have been waiting too long for this to come! Several things I see that are still just not right, and I hope G is listening as these are some major shortcomings.

1. The stock Messaging app does not allow you to type a txt longer than 180 characters. Every phone I have had in the last 5 years would just split the message into 2 or more messages. This is a MAJOR system flaw that has been present since I got my phone in Sept (I came from a Palm Pre)! My WinMo 5.0 phone also split messages way back in the day.
2. In the People app you can not set up a contact as your profile. I already have a contact for myself, so I can beam it to other people and all that, and I should be able to select one instead of creating a new contact!
3. Auto brightness does not seem to work like it use to, am I missing something?
4. Encrypt phone, can only use PIN or password, why can't a pattern be used? Why can we not set a separate encryption password from our lock screen password. Set it up like a root admin with my Linux laptop? I am a bit of a security nut so I do like having the option of encrypting the phone.
5. The Google search bar at the top of the home screen, why does it open an app window when I click on it BEFORE I type anything? Why can't this work like Universal Search/Just Type on webOS?
6. Notifications have been rearranged and I don't like the new layout. I have WeatherBug and it use to be the top notification, now it is on the bottom!!

marinlouise

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Everytime I get to the recovery menu and I select apply update from /sdcard and hit update.zip it starts to try and gives me an error message "error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip (status 7) Installation aborted... what am I doing wrong!? It tried to push the update the other day the normal way but failed in the middle of that and whenever I go to about phone-system updates it says my system is currently up to date even though it's not.....help!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
[
Love it, I have been waiting too long for this to come! Several things I see that are still just not right, and I hope G is listening as these are some major shortcomings.

1. The stock Messaging app does not allow you to type a txt longer than 180 characters. Every phone I have had in the last 5 years would just split the message into 2 or more messages. This is a MAJOR system flaw that has been present since I got my phone in Sept (I came from a Palm Pre)! My WinMo 5.0 phone also split messages way back in the day.
This is an AOSP thing to my understanding.. Grab Go SMS or Handcent and select the option in Settings to split messages.
2. In the People app you can not set up a contact as your profile. I already have a contact for myself, so I can beam it to other people and all that, and I should be able to select one instead of creating a new contact!
3. Auto brightness does not seem to work like it use to, am I missing something?
Seems to work the same way it always has.. Then again for best battery most people usually leave it around 25% and forget about it.. Occasionally I understand the need to max it out in bright light like outside to read the screen.
4. Encrypt phone, can only use PIN or password, why can't a pattern be used? Why can we not set a separate encryption password from our lock screen password. Set it up like a root admin with my Linux laptop? I am a bit of a security nut so I do like having the option of encrypting the phone.
Again this is an AOSP thing too if I remember. Many of these options people are used to are normal on branded devices with UI's (Touchwiz/Blur/Sense).
5. The Google search bar at the top of the home screen, why does it open an app window when I click on it BEFORE I type anything? Why can't this work like Universal Search/Just Type on webOS?
Never use it, I have mine removed (disabled) on custom ROMs. I agree it should be type and go, but also you need to remember your not on webOS.
6. Notifications have been rearranged and I don't like the new layout. I have WeatherBug and it use to be the top notification, now it is on the bottom!!
Just the new layout/design.. Its about change, overall Google did very good with it. I'm sure it will all change again when Jellybean hits...

Your complaints are valid, and common to what we heard when many started running custom ROMs of ICS back months ago on the NS4G. Plus if you have followed the GNex its the same stuff talked about over there. Give it a little time and I think you will see through the few complaints you have and enjoy a better running device overall.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Everytime I get to the recovery menu and I select apply update from /sdcard and hit update.zip it starts to try and gives me an error message "error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip (status 7) Installation aborted... what am I doing wrong!? It tried to push the update the other day the normal way but failed in the middle of that and whenever I go to about phone-system updates it says my system is currently up to date even though it's not.....help!
Could you please tell me if you were at all previously rooted? This almost sounds like you rooted in the past and removed some bloatware or something causing the update to fail.

Any additional info you can provide will help.

Thanks.

kbboykin

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so my battery life is definitely decreased after the OTA. I was rooted and unlocked and using the leaked IMM76D odexed and had much better battery life with that. Curiously, when I unrooted, it took me back to GB 2.3.4 and NEVER upgraded to 2.3.7 before the OTA ICS download started. Is it worth reverting back to the stock 2.3.7 image and redownloading or applying the official OTA zip file (I have it from Google's site)? Or would it be better just to unlock/reroot and be done with it? I really just looking to keep this stock until I either get the GNEX or Evo 4G LTE. Opinions appreciated.

theotherlinh

Apr 21, 2011
theotherlinh.com
So, am I the only one who is extremely irked about how contacts look? From what I found online, google can't pull it's own high res pics for it. Everyone's solution is "use FB or reup your own." Really google? this is highly disappointing for supposedly being "polished"

Not only that, but you can't delete a photo after taking it anymore. You have to option to share it, but to delete it, you have to tap again. And to add to UI inconsistencies here, the trash can is only visible in landscape and delete is totally removed from the menu.

It sure looks nice, I love ICS on my touchpad.. but since I don't have a camera and don't actually ever deal w/ phone calls, never knew these things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital