[ICS][NS4G]Official Nexus S 4G ICS/Android 4.0.4 Update

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
So, am I the only one who is extremely irked about how contacts look? From what I found online, google can't pull it's own high res pics for it. Everyone's solution is "use FB or reup your own." Really google? this is highly disappointing for supposedly being "polished"

Not only that, but you can't delete a photo after taking it anymore. You have to option to share it, but to delete it, you have to tap again. And to add to UI inconsistencies here, the trash can is only visible in landscape and delete is totally removed from the menu.

It sure looks nice, I love ICS on my touchpad.. but since I don't have a camera and don't actually ever deal w/ phone calls, never knew these things.

I understand your issues, but remember this is android. U can download a new gallery such as quick pics or even the old gingerbread 3d gallery form the play store. But stock ICS as a whole is far more polished than stock gingerbread.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
So, am I the only one who is extremely irked about how contacts look? From what I found online, google can't pull it's own high res pics for it. Everyone's solution is "use FB or reup your own." Really google? this is highly disappointing for supposedly being "polished"

Not only that, but you can't delete a photo after taking it anymore. You have to option to share it, but to delete it, you have to tap again. And to add to UI inconsistencies here, the trash can is only visible in landscape and delete is totally removed from the menu.

It sure looks nice, I love ICS on my touchpad.. but since I don't have a camera and don't actually ever deal w/ phone calls, never knew these things.
In addition to what one member has already said, don't forget this is a completely new UI. It will probablyget a few more updates before its finished. Somethings maybe addressed as Google gets feedback from consumers and manufacture's as they place it on their devices and get different opinions of things.

Also keep in mind this was also intended to be a very universal version of Android bringing tablets and smartphones under one flag sort of speak. So some of the artwork/graphics may appear cheap but that could of been done to keep things simple between different resolutions. Sure there are resolution folders for holding main images used but they don't duplicate "everything" in triplicate per resolution or the OS would be simply too big. So they may have found a common ground on an image that looks good enough on "every" device instead of having to polish the same image multiple times per supported screen size/resolution.

I'm sure Jellybean will once again improve on what they didn't polish up in ICS.

That is the selling point after all... Keeps you coming back for more ;)

theotherlinh

Apr 21, 2011
theotherlinh.com
So some of the artwork/graphics may appear cheap but that could of been done to keep things simple between different resolutions.

I'm sorry, but this is cop out excuse. Android pushed the whole "oh this is beautiful, new people app" blah blah blah, and to not have it pull the maximum res from their own servers? How is this even acceptable?

The camera issue.. I have more issue w/ not being able to delete a bad shot right away. And saying there are other camera apps out there... isn't saying much. I've tried a lot of them. And end up going back to HTC (I'm on an EVO3D, my siblings and mom have the nexus s) every time.

But the gallery UI complaint is on consistency. Why does one orientation lend itself to require two tap delete vs one tap delete? If it were just consistent, it'd be less of an issue honestly and just chose a different app.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry, but this is cop out excuse. Android pushed the whole "oh this is beautiful, new people app" blah blah blah, and to not have it pull the maximum res from their own servers? How is this even acceptable?

Just to set the record straight none of Android's OS and supporting GAPPS pull images from Google's servers they are in the applications/OS. So again for size restrictions they can't have images for each individual supported resolution.

Little history, take framework-res.apk which is one of two main components of the Android OS. It has 4 different resolutions it supports within it. Our resolution level for the NS4G (hdpi level) has approx. 1250 images in this one file alone. If they were to completely duplicate that for each supported res, your talking 1250 x 4. You talking about adding a hefty amount of size and taking away from usable allocated system space in a device.

Granted they could of picked a better image here and in other places but there are some reasons behind what they have done with Android 4.x supporting all devices under one OS.

Just some food for thought, not meant to shadow your valid complaint.

kbboykin

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I'll try again. Would going from stock GB 2.3.4 straight to IMM76D OTA be causing quicker battery drain than the leaked OTA odexed rooted one? Battery draining at 4-5% every 35-40 minutes. I got up to 24+ hrs with same usage on the leaked OTA.

tomkat101

May 9, 2011
Visit site
ok, downloaded the file, renamed it to update.zip, selected recovery, selected apply update from /sdcard... screen reads as follows: install /sdcard, finding update package, opening update package, verifying update package, installing update, verifying current system, assert failed: apply_patch_check ("/system/app/maps.apk". "f20fe23967bd8b772c595a382de9cb0637be6a60". "75746eac59b5c8a8d3e0a5935be989e900aa8b2d") E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip (status 7) installation aborted.

im stock and running gb 2.3.7, am i doing something wrong, cause im pretty sure i followed the instructions correctly... anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated. ive also recieved the ota push two times and it has failed both times, sprint to me to call samsung, samsung to me to call sprint, sprint told me to call google... long story short cant find any help, hoping one of you lovely folks can help me out please!!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so I'll try again. Would going from stock GB 2.3.4 straight to IMM76D OTA be causing quicker battery drain than the leaked OTA odexed rooted one? Battery draining at 4-5% every 35-40 minutes. I got up to 24+ hrs with same usage on the leaked OTA.
I really doubt how you got on official ICS is going to matter. Since its a full update (OS/radio/recovery/kernel) everything is getting replaced.

I will admit 4-5 % seems a bit extreme... I would take a good look at anything that could be running in the background causing drain.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
ok, downloaded the file, renamed it to update.zip, selected recovery, selected apply update from /sdcard... screen reads as follows: install /sdcard, finding update package, opening update package, verifying update package, installing update, verifying current system, assert failed: apply_patch_check ("/system/app/maps.apk". "f20fe23967bd8b772c595a382de9cb0637be6a60". "75746eac59b5c8a8d3e0a5935be989e900aa8b2d") E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip (status 7) installation aborted.

im stock and running gb 2.3.7, am i doing something wrong, cause im pretty sure i followed the instructions correctly... anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated. ive also recieved the ota push two times and it has failed both times, sprint to me to call samsung, samsung to me to call sprint, sprint told me to call google... long story short cant find any help, hoping one of you lovely folks can help me out please!!

Wow. That is indeed strange. Complete stock, never been rooted or anything I take it?

kbboykin

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I really doubt how you got on official ICS is going to matter. Since its a full update (OS/radio/recovery/kernel) everything is getting replaced.

I will admit 4-5 % seems a bit extreme... I would take a good look at anything that could be running in the background causing drain.
I have turned everything off that was syncing, except gmail, calendar, and contacts; got rid of weather apps and today after just 6 hr, 21 mins I'm down to 44%!!! This is the worst since I've unrooted, returned to stock GB and applied the update. Time to unlock, reroot and nandroid restore. Oh well, tried to stay stock. Had much more running on the leaked OTA IMM76D and 3 times better battery life...this is what is strange.:confused:

g0dchaser

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. We have 3 of the NS4G's in our family and all of them have HORRENDOUS battery life! Anyone know what might have been turned on that's draining this? Also, if not, got a quick link on how to go back to Gingerbread?:mad:

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
All else fails, a factory reset always does wonders for battery life. At least in many cases of my own experience across multiple devices. That also resets the battery calibration to new. May want to try that route. I did this myself after updating to ICS and do not suffer from battery issues what so ever.

RemytheOrange

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
My wife and my Nexus S Phone were auto updated with Android 4.04 this past week. I am extremely unhappy with it.
1) None of the buttons are in the same place anymore. stuff that was on the left is now on the right, stuff on the bottom of the screen is now at the top.
2) Font size in messaging is now too small to read.
The light blue coloring is harder to see than the old green coloring.
3) Talk to text is sluggish and tempramental. This used to be my favorite and most used feature on my phone, now it is just a headache.
4) I cannot find a setting to turn off haptic feedback on the keayboard. I cant stnad the buzzing feeling while i attempt to type.
5) Why the heck would I want to have a slide button to turn on my camera in the same spot that used to unlock my phone.
6) I really miss being able to make my phone silent with just a slide (where did that go????)
AND MOST ANNOYING AN PROBLAMATIC OF ALL!!!!!!
7) Since the update my battery usage has doubled. I used to be able to go almost all day without recharging my phone with moderate usage. Now I have to recharge halfway throught the day if I barley even touch the stupid thing.

There are even more steps involed to place a basic phone call. Really???

What was so bad that this much change needed to take place. Is there a way to revert without losing all my apps and data?

This update has made the phone that I LOVED into a huge inconvinence. I beg the developers of "Ice Cream Sandwich" to contact me. I love improvements, but this is the worst operating system update since Windows Vista.

LDawg07

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys. I waited for the update to come to my phone for Sprint. I started the download and everything was going smooth. Next thing I knew the screen was the Android Guy and an exclamation point in a triangle. The phone did not update. Has anyone gotten this? I am rooted so I am not sure if that is a problem. Can anyone help?

g0dchaser

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I got that same screen when I downloaded the ZIP file. All I had to do was (while on that screen) press PWR and then Volume+ and a menu will drop down. Then follow prompts to update...

mcantu

May 26, 2011
Visit site
My wife and my Nexus S Phone were auto updated with Android 4.04 this past week. I am extremely unhappy with it.
1) None of the buttons are in the same place anymore. stuff that was on the left is now on the right, stuff on the bottom of the screen is now at the top.
2) Font size in messaging is now too small to read.
The light blue coloring is harder to see than the old green coloring.
3) Talk to text is sluggish and tempramental. This used to be my favorite and most used feature on my phone, now it is just a headache.
4) I cannot find a setting to turn off haptic feedback on the keayboard. I cant stnad the buzzing feeling while i attempt to type.
5) Why the heck would I want to have a slide button to turn on my camera in the same spot that used to unlock my phone.
6) I really miss being able to make my phone silent with just a slide (where did that go????)
AND MOST ANNOYING AN PROBLAMATIC OF ALL!!!!!!
7) Since the update my battery usage has doubled. I used to be able to go almost all day without recharging my phone with moderate usage. Now I have to recharge halfway throught the day if I barley even touch the stupid thing.

There are even more steps involed to place a basic phone call. Really???

What was so bad that this much change needed to take place. Is there a way to revert without losing all my apps and data?

This update has made the phone that I LOVED into a huge inconvinence. I beg the developers of "Ice Cream Sandwich" to contact me. I love improvements, but this is the worst operating system update since Windows Vista.

#2..system settings>accessibility>large text

#4...system settings>language & input>android keyboard (settings)>vibrate on keypress

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
@RemytheOrange

Worst case situation.. You could try a factory reset. I know what your thinking... If your running a Windows computer there is an option...

[BETA] Backup Wonder Machine (no root, ICS only)

This option will allow you to make a full backup of your device to your computer. Then do the factory reset and then restore the data back to your device.

Factory reset might be just what you need to improve battery and other lag causing issues.

kbboykin

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
@RemytheOrange

Worst case situation.. You could try a factory reset. I know what your thinking... If your running a Windows computer there is an option...

[BETA] Backup Wonder Machine (no root, ICS only)

This option will allow you to make a full backup of your device to your computer. Then do the factory reset and then restore the data back to your device.

Factory reset might be just what you need to improve battery and other lag causing issues.

I can vouch for Backup Wonder Machine. It's wonderful. It will put back your apps and data as stated.