I just got the Nexus S 4G yesterday after a year with the Optimus S. With the Optimus S, I allowed Google Voice to be my voicemail handler (I believe that's called GV Lite?), but I didn't use full-fledged Google Voice. Every time I reinstalled the Google Voice app, this was an option so there was never a problem. However, yesterday when I ran the app, all of a sudden I was fully integrated with Google Voice - which is NOT what I wanted. Worse, when I attempted to undo the integration in the web interface on my PC, I encountered an error which lead to 6 hours where I was unable to make or receive calls. Two of those hours were spent on the phone with Sprint (using my work phone, of course) where we attempted to reprovision and reset the phone many times with no success. Eventually the Sprint tech deleted the integration on his end, at which point I could delete the integration in my browser on my PC, and two hours later calls finally started coming in.

ANYWAY...this morning I googled the problem and came across this closed thread:
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/spr...il-sprint.html

I was specifically interested in KYSmithInNY's comment here:
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/spr...tml#post884820

Is this still correct? There is no way to do Google Voice Lite on this phone? If not, is there no way to get the Sprint Visual Voicemail app on to this phone? I guess it's OK to just call my own number to get my voicemail the old fashioned way, but if I do that I'm no better than my wife and her ancient Razr (not the Droid variety).

Sorry if this is a noob question - I had the luxury of following the Optimus S forum from the very beginning...jumping in to an already mature forum is very different - lots of information!

Thanks,
    Matt
    02-16-2012 08:28 AM
    I just got the Nexus S 4G yesterday after a year with the Optimus S. With the Optimus S, I allowed Google Voice to be my voicemail handler (I believe that's called GV Lite?), but I didn't use full-fledged Google Voice. Every time I reinstalled the Google Voice app, this was an option so there was never a problem. However, yesterday when I ran the app, all of a sudden I was fully integrated with Google Voice - which is NOT what I wanted. Worse, when I attempted to undo the integration in the web interface on my PC, I encountered an error which lead to 6 hours where I was unable to make or receive calls. Two of those hours were spent on the phone with Sprint (using my work phone, of course) where we attempted to reprovision and reset the phone many times with no success. Eventually the Sprint tech deleted the integration on his end, at which point I could delete the integration in my browser on my PC, and two hours later calls finally started coming in.

ANYWAY...this morning I googled the problem and came across this closed thread:
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/spr...il-sprint.html

I was specifically interested in KYSmithInNY's comment here:
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/spr...tml#post884820

Is this still correct? There is no way to do Google Voice Lite on this phone? If not, is there no way to get the Sprint Visual Voicemail app on to this phone? I guess it's OK to just call my own number to get my voicemail the old fashioned way, but if I do that I'm no better than my wife and her ancient Razr (not the Droid variety).

Sorry if this is a noob question - I had the luxury of following the Optimus S forum from the very beginning...jumping in to an already mature forum is very different - lots of information!

Thanks,
    Matt
    I use google voice on this phone but choose NOT to integrate it with my phone number. I haven't had a single issue. Still get the Google visual voicemail and recorded messages.

02-16-2012 08:42 AM
    I use google voice on this phone but choose NOT to integrate it with my phone number. I haven't had a single issue. Still get the Google visual voicemail and recorded messages.
    So do your text messages go through google voice as well? I guess I'm asking if you are truly using Google Voice Lite or you have just kept your Sprint number as the number that people see when you call them vs. having them see your Google Voice number. The way I was using it with my Optimus S was that I didn't even have an official Google Voice number - I was just given an access number to call if I ever wanted to check my voicemail by phone. Once I installed and ran the Voice app on my new Nexus S 4G, all of a sudden my Sprint number WAS my google voice number, and everything tried (incorrectly) to go through google voice.
    02-16-2012 09:25 AM
    So do your text messages go through google voice as well? I guess I'm asking if you are truly using Google Voice Lite or you have just kept your Sprint number as the number that people see when you call them vs. having them see your Google Voice number. The way I was using it with my Optimus S was that I didn't even have an official Google Voice number - I was just given an access number to call if I ever wanted to check my voicemail by phone. Once I installed and ran the Voice app on my new Nexus S 4G, all of a sudden my Sprint number WAS my google voice number, and everything tried (incorrectly) to go through google voice.
    I have never heard of lite. I'm using Google voice. No I do not have a Google voice number and still have my sprint number. I don't have to call any number to receive my voice mail. I open Google voice app and my messages are there. I do get text messages through the Google voiced app but prefer to get them from gosms do I have setup my Google voice accordingly.

02-16-2012 09:59 AM
    Why not just go ahead and make your Sprint number your Google Voice number? It's very nice and I would go that route in a heartbeat but I need two separate numbers and this is cheaper than two separate phones.
    02-16-2012 11:12 AM
    Why not just go ahead and make your Sprint number your Google Voice number? It's very nice and I would go that route in a heartbeat but I need two separate numbers and this is cheaper than two separate phones.
    Two reasons - first is minor and second is major. First is that I don't really want to have Google Voice manage my texts. I know the trend is to integrate everything in to a common inbox, but I really like things separate. The only reason I even started using any Google Voice features is because I was wiping my phone so often to test out various Optimus S ROMs, and it was just easier to have GV handle my voicemail than to try to get Sprint's Visual Voicemail app back on the phone each time. Anyway, I could get over the text message thing, though. The second is that, as I described, when the integration attempted to happen yesterday, something got screwed up and I was without phone service for hours. It's very possible that it wouldn't get screwed up again, but I don't want to take that chance (especially now when I'm set to travel for a week and actually will rely on my phone for all communication).
    02-16-2012 11:21 AM
    Chud. its still funky. But I definitely still do use google voice for my voice mail.
    02-16-2012 11:27 AM
    With the Nexus S 4G, your voicemail is tied directly to Google Voice. It's a part of the same Google/Sprint partnership that also brought Google Wallet exclusively to Sprint, thus you can't stop that.

You'll still get texts via Google Voice, but you can turn the setting off by going to the Google Voice app, tap the Settings button, tap More, tap Settings again, tap "Sync and Notifications", under "Receive text messages change it to "Also via the messaging app", finally uncheck the Text notifications box.
    giograves likes this.
    02-16-2012 11:55 AM
    FYI, this is the closest description I could find regarding the problem I had yesterday that is making me gun-shy about trying again:
    Sprint / Google Voice integration has major issues, major lack of support (update: Sprint and Google respond) -- Engadget

EDIT: Actually, looks like someone else had a similar issue:
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/spr...s-gv-gone.html
    02-16-2012 12:16 PM
    Sweet - this post solved my problems:
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/spr...e-numbers.html

Reading through 44 pages of posts may be tedious, but I've found a lot of awesome info.
    02-16-2012 01:16 PM
    Visual voicemail is now a go!

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brNh6hi2CX0[/YT]
    mpoehling likes this.
    03-26-2012 09:14 AM
    Im not sure how you did that but my settings look different and I running the latest for both.
    04-06-2012 06:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD