Go Galaxy Nexus or stay?

Which one?

• Total voters

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure whether or not to stick with the Nexus S 4G or to go with the Galaxy Nexus when it comes out. So I'm asking you guys what you would your decision be.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I'm sticking with the Nexus S 4G. I mean the update situation isn't going to get any better, really. You'd be waiting awhile for Jelly Bean or whatever they choose to call Android 5.0 while the GSM variant of Galaxy Nexus (the international one, as the AT&T GSM Nexus S is STILL waiting...) would get it months before Sprint and Verizon would.

Plus, if I buy out my contract next year or whatever, I can get the supposed Motorola Nexus (hopefully they make one) if Sprint actually gets it. If not, I can always drop to T-Mobile (hopefully they still exist next year) if they have the 2012 Nexus.

Last edited:

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm waiting to use my upgrade on whatever the Nexus after the Galaxy Nexus is. Between the Galaxy nexus not coming to Sprint until 6 months after its release and LTE not being all that built up yet, I'd rather stick with the perfectly capable Nexus S (hoepfully with ICS soon) and delay using my upgrade for another phone cycle.

jstates916

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm definetly picking up the galaxy nexus the day it comes out. The dual core processor and 720p screen is too good to pass up, not to mention LTE

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
This is a tough decision for me. The screen on the Galaxy Nexus is just so good and I'm getting a bit tired of the 4 inch screens on my Nexus S 4G and Epic 4G. Also, dual-core should be fast enough. If quad-core is going to vastly better, then I may reconsider. And to add on top of that, the Nexus S 4G I got from my cousin's friend (He's overseas) still has his account on there but Sprint is having complications with removing the account for some reason so by the time I can actually use the Nexus S as my regular phone, it will probably be about a month or two before the Galaxy Nexus comes out. But at the same time, I feel like this wasn't the best Google could've done in terms of their hardware (the camera was their biggest gimp IMO) and the next nexus would be much better. That or I can always wait on the GS3 :).

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
This is a tough decision for me. The screen on the Galaxy Nexus is just so good and I'm getting a bit tired of the 4 inch screens on my Nexus S 4G and Epic 4G. Also, dual-core should be fast enough. If quad-core is going to vastly better, then I may reconsider. And to add on top of that, the Nexus S 4G I got from my cousin's friend (He's overseas) still has his account on there but Sprint is having complications with removing the account for some reason so by the time I can actually use the Nexus S as my regular phone, it will probably be about a month or two before the Galaxy Nexus comes out. But at the same time, I feel like this wasn't the best Google could've done in terms of their hardware (the camera was their biggest gimp IMO) and the next nexus would be much better. That or I can always wait on the GS3 :).

Was your friend using his NS4G overseas? I thought it only worked with Sprint.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I have mixed feelings about getting the GN. At first I was excited to jump on the bandwagon but now as time is going by I'm not entirely sure where I'm going to end up. My NS4G handles my daily needs fine, I have ICS and some of the best selection of ROMs to play with.

My upgrade isn't until October 1st so I have time to consider my options. Maybe the next line of Nexus will be on the table by that point in time....?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm sticking with my NS4G.

1) It's not THAT big of a hardware upgrade.
2) I already have ICS
3) I'm waiting for my contract to be up/upgrade/cancel
4) I'm hoping "Motorola" makes the NEXT Nexus. Motorola with a Samsung screen would be amazing.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm sticking with my NS4G.

1) It's not THAT big of a hardware upgrade.
2) I already have ICS
3) I'm waiting for my contract to be up/upgrade/cancel
4) I'm hoping "Motorola" makes the NEXT Nexus. Motorola with a Samsung screen would be amazing.

The main draw for me in the Galaxy Nexus is that beautiful screen. I REALLY want that screen. Also, I don't think Google is ever going to make a Nexus that is made from multiple OEMs (although, it would be awesome).

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I have mixed feelings about getting the GN. At first I was excited to jump on the bandwagon but now as time is going by I'm not entirely sure where I'm going to end up. My NS4G handles my daily needs fine, I have ICS and some of the best selection of ROMs to play with.

My upgrade isn't until October 1st so I have time to consider my options. Maybe the next line of Nexus will be on the table by that point in time....?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'm starting to feel like that too. Hopefully, the next nexus is a bigger leap from the Galaxy Nexus rather than the leap between the Nexus S 4G and the Galaxy Nexus.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
To be honest I can see myself going to the GN when my upgrade comes. Main reason to be on one of the newer devices which insures me of longer support. I would expect to the see the NS4G being supported thru the end of 2012 and if a new OS does pop end of 2012 into 2013 I can see them cutting out NS4G support. That is where having the GN would be of a benefit because it will most certainly be covered by a new OS.

Otherwise the GN does have some cool features but its not anything that is getting my completely pumped up to run down there and open my wallet. The only other device I could see myself going to would be a SGSIII but that is hard for me since I have come to appreciate the pure Google experience.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
To be honest I can see myself going to the GN when my upgrade comes. Main reason to be on one of the newer devices which insures me of longer support. I would expect to the see the NS4G being supported thru the end of 2012 and if a new OS does pop end of 2012 into 2013 I can see them cutting out NS4G support. That is where having the GN would be of a benefit because it will most certainly be covered by a new OS.

Otherwise the GN does have some cool features but its not anything that is getting my completely pumped up to run down there and open my wallet. The only other device I could see myself going to would be a SGSIII but that is hard for me since I have come to appreciate the pure Google experience.

Yeah that's where it gets tricky. I'm not very sure what Jellybean is going to be like but it seems like that Google has a major release every other year. For example, Eclair pretty much only added live wallpapers and UI enhancements and Froyo brought flash support, performance improvements, dalvik vm, and more. Same with Gingerbread and ICS. Gingerbread was pretty much all UI enhancements along with NFC. ICS was a huge UI overhaul, buttonless support, improved voice to text, hardware acceleration and more. Will Jellybean just be a minor update compared to the version before it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox