02-28-2012 02:25 PM
45 12
tools
    Last time I checked sprint was a service provider, not a software company.
    You don't think Sprint has any lines of communication with Google or Samsung? You don't think they have any way (or desire) to say to Google, "hey, get off your butt and do something?"
    02-21-2012 11:54 AM
    Ok, this is just getting silly.

Has anyone ever stopped to think about WHY 4.0.4 is still in testing phases and 4.0.5 is rumored to release next month?

Android 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2, and 4.0.3 all have some pretty major bugs in them and 4.0.4 doesn't buck that trend. Would you really want an OS on your phone that screws with your reception, battery, or proximity sensor? What about the bug in 4.0.3 that screwed up phones that tried to update? What about the infamous Android OS using a lot of CPU and battery bug?

Also, in all versions of ICS so far, there is no indicator to let you know that you're voice roaming in the status bar, only for data roaming. How would you feel if you are on voice roam but you have no idea because the OS doesn't tell you so you burn through your 800 minutes REALLY quickly? You'd blame Sprint then too, but that would be Google's fault. Sprint is probably waiting on Google to fix this. Maybe in 4.0.5.

Sprint's not going to push out an OTA that would screw things up for normal users. Power users can probably fix the issues if they wanted, but what about those who have the phone as their very first smartphone? Do you really think they'll be so quick to jump onto forums online, learn about rooting, and learn how to flash a ROM? No. Sprint isn't going to **** those customers off as they mean more to them than people who could fix the problem and not run to Sprint with complains or just leave the carrier all together.

I get that Sprint and Google COULD at least say what's going on, but to be perfectly honest, no one would care. Not everyone who has an NS4G knows about rooting or whatever just like not every iPhone user knows about jailbreaking. Sure, power users would go "Oh, okay." but regular users wouldn't really care because they probably don't even know what Ice Cream Sandwich is in the first place.

Also, we have it lucky here considering there are phones that won't get ICS until at least 4 - 6 months from now. Sure, they claim March, but when has that usually panned out with perfect results? Not to mention phones such as the E4GT and EVO 3D guys will have OEM modded ICS while the NS4G will have pure ICS (well, pure enough).
    02-21-2012 12:24 PM
    I get that Sprint and Google COULD at least say what's going on
    And I think this is the heart of the matter. They have said nothing. Not a thing, nothing.

And deleting someone's inquiries on the Sprint forum doesn't exactly promote the "warm fuzzies" that Sprint wants us to feel about the phones they sell and the services they provide. It usually disintegrates into a great big cluster...

Which is what we have here.
    02-21-2012 12:31 PM
    And I think this is the heart of the matter. They have said nothing. Not a thing, nothing.

And deleting someone's inquiries on the Sprint forum doesn't exactly promote the "warm fuzzies" that Sprint wants us to feel about the phones they sell and the services they provide. It usually disintegrates into a great big cluster...

Which is what we have here.
    The heart of the matter isn't Sprint/Google not saying anything, it's mostly power users whining about ICS not being on their phone right this very nanosecond.

Deleting the questions makes sense considering I'm betting these mods don't know anymore than WE know. Not all mods are paid for what they do, nor do all mods actually work for the company that owns the forum. Thus they could easily just be regular users who simply don't know and are sick of people coming in, complaining, and then the whiners and accusers coming in. Thus they delete the threads and posts before that crap even starts.

Could Sprint and Google say something? Sure. But when have they ever talked about an OS pre-release? They never have. Google is known for just being silent anyway, they're not going to waste their time talking about the problems when they could just get away from the social networking sites and actually go fix the problem. This isn't going to cause Google (or Sprint) any grief so it clearly doesn't warrant some kind of giant press statement.

People just need to wait. It's coming, the leak alone proves it. However the leak also proves that it's clearly not ready for phones.
    02-21-2012 12:36 PM
    The heart of the matter isn't Sprint/Google not saying anything, it's mostly power users whining about ICS not being on their phone right this very nanosecond.

That's probably the most well put comment regarding the whole ics update I've seen.....
    Be happy with what you have and have a little faith. You will get it which is more than alot of people with 1 year old phones can say.
    CarrieK likes this.
    02-21-2012 05:15 PM

Deleting the questions makes sense considering I'm betting these mods don't know anymore than WE know. Not all mods are paid for what they do, nor do all mods actually work for the company that owns the forum. Thus they could easily just be regular users who simply don't know and are sick of people coming in, complaining, and then the whiners and accusers coming in. Thus they delete the threads and posts before that crap even starts.
    If the whiners are that much of a problem that they have to quell the uprising, maybe that should tell them something.

Could Sprint and Google say something? Sure. But when have they ever talked about an OS pre-release? They never have. Google is known for just being silent anyway, they're not going to waste their time talking about the problems when they could just get away from the social networking sites and actually go fix the problem. This isn't going to cause Google (or Sprint) any grief so it clearly doesn't warrant some kind of giant press statement.
    Serves 'em right for building up the ICS hype to begin with. And are you saying that keeping mum's the right course of action? Why should it be?

At least HTC has given their customers a timeframe that they'll (maybe) stick to. Sprint, Samsung and Google have not, and therein lies the reason behind all of this whining and crying by power users.

It wouldn't be so bad if Google hadn't assured us that it would reach the Nexus S within "a couple of weeks" of the Galaxy Nexus release. How long ago was that again? I've forgotten by now...

People just need to wait. It's coming, the leak alone proves it. However the leak also proves that it's clearly not ready for phones.
    Whatever they release, regardless of how much testing and fixing they do, WILL have bugs. Count on it. You can't escape that. I accept that. Hell, GB has bugs, and they still released it.
    02-21-2012 06:14 PM
    If the whiners are that much of a problem that they have to quell the uprising, maybe that should tell them something.
    Again, they most likely have no ties to Sprint other than being on their forums. It's not like they can go to the Sprint CEO and ask. They're told when WE are told. In fact, that's what one of their mods even stated that they don't know until the day of or day before.

Serves 'em right for building up the ICS hype to begin with. And are you saying that keeping mum's the right course of action? Why should it be?

At least HTC has given their customers a timeframe that they'll (maybe) stick to. Sprint, Samsung and Google have not, and therein lies the reason behind all of this whining and crying by power users.

It wouldn't be so bad if Google hadn't assured us that it would reach the Nexus S within "a couple of weeks" of the Galaxy Nexus release. How long ago was that again? I've forgotten by now...
    Yeah, pretty much it is. Google never says anything unless it would truly impact them like the ToS changes or Google+ name fiasco. This obviously means nothing and is nothing to worry about for them.

Samsung has given out information ...for the phones that they control software wise. Samsung has NO control over the Nexus S or Galaxy Nexus other than fixing your broken hardware. That's it.

HTC will be skinning the hell out of their version of ICS and changing code just to make themselves happy and what their consumers want. They are probably working on a build earlier than what we will be getting (which is probably going to be 4.0.5). We're getting a mostly pure version of ICS (save for tethering, of course) so who cares what HTC is doing?

That rollout was for the Nexus S, NOT the Nexus S 4G. Google released that statement because they control the Nexus S on T-Mobile while they only control some of the Nexus S 4G (the rest of the control goes to Sprint).

Whatever they release, regardless of how much testing and fixing they do, WILL have bugs. Count on it. You can't escape that. I accept that. Hell, GB has bugs, and they still released it.
    Obviously it will and no one is saying it won't. But the bugs I mentioned are pretty much show-stopping bugs (where as the voice roaming thing is just something Google didn't enable...the feature IS there, just not enabled in any version of ICS so far). Sprint doesn't feel like dealing with those type of bugs that will obviously degrade the user's experience.

Speaking of user experience, I asked on Google+ back in December about if the Nexus S's drive would be repartitioned to match the Galaxy Nexus' unpartitioned drive. I was given the answer of "no, it would confuse a lot of consumers and degrade the experience that users have come to rely on since they had the device" straight from a Google employee. So it seems even Google cares about the user's experience with their devices. So it's pretty clear they're not going to release something that'll break your phone either if they can help it.

That being said, root if you want ICS right now as complaining won't get it to you any faster. Maybe I should put this in my sig...
    02-21-2012 06:29 PM

I have yet to see a single Android build (eclair, froyo or gingerbread) that has been a stable and trouble free as the custom ics rom's being put out by many of the dev's.

I have a really tough time believing that ANY OTA put out by Google will match what the dev's have already done.

02-21-2012 06:40 PM
    That what I don't get, Google has the best developer's under them people say it isn't being released because of bugs. I'm not buying. We have private developers most doing it for fun that can build off the source code with little to no bugs.
    02-21-2012 09:16 PM
    Looks like its Google, they pulled the update. So one reason why it isn't out yet.

Bunch of crybabies
    02-21-2012 10:26 PM
    That what I don't get, Google has the best developer's under them people say it isn't being released because of bugs. I'm not buying. We have private developers most doing it for fun that can build off the source code with little to no bugs.
    The bugs in Android 4.0 to 4.0.4 say it IS about the bugs. Google doesn't just develop Android, they're still primarily a search company and they can't just devote ALL of their time to Android.

Also, there are still bugs in fan-made ROMs as well, maybe not as much as in AOSP but there still are. Just check out XDA's own Nexus S rooting and ROM section...there are TONS of problems with the ROMs built on 4.0.3 source code that have problems with battery life (the main issue) and reception. Even the bugless beast ROM has bugs.
    02-21-2012 11:05 PM

This is where you are wrong. The heart of the matter (at least for me) is not when will my phone have ICS. It is and was my two original questions on Sprint's forum. 1. Why is Sprint advertising the NS4G as receiving "OS updates as soon as humanly possible, and 2. Why was there a release date for ICS on the internal employee system for 2/16? The first question being deleted every time it was asked, and the second never answered. If the mods do not know anything then they should try to find the answer, or else what are they there for? Deleting posts just makes it look like they are hiding something.

It is in at least Sprint's best interest to say something, and they should be pushing Google to do the same. As this situation is going to be the most harmful to Sprint, since we are still paying them. Google and Samsung could care less as they have already been paid. I think you are wrong in assuming that this is not causing Sprint any grief as it has been stated in their forums that they are replacing NS4G's with other phones over this matter in retentions. Not to mention if it wasn't causing grief then why delete my posts?
    02-22-2012 09:35 AM
    petrochemicals: if stuff like this is causing you so much grief maybe you need to look at getting a new life.

The update will come when it comes
    Ryuuie likes this.
    02-22-2012 12:06 PM
    This is where you are wrong. The heart of the matter (at least for me) is not when will my phone have ICS. It is and was my two original questions on Sprint's forum. 1. Why is Sprint advertising the NS4G as receiving "OS updates as soon as humanly possible, and 2. Why was there a release date for ICS on the internal employee system for 2/16? The first question being deleted every time it was asked, and the second never answered. If the mods do not know anything then they should try to find the answer, or else what are they there for? Deleting posts just makes it look like they are hiding something.

It is in at least Sprint's best interest to say something, and they should be pushing Google to do the same. As this situation is going to be the most harmful to Sprint, since we are still paying them. Google and Samsung could care less as they have already been paid. I think you are wrong in assuming that this is not causing Sprint any grief as it has been stated in their forums that they are replacing NS4G's with other phones over this matter in retentions. Not to mention if it wasn't causing grief then why delete my posts?
    Well, it's easy. Humans are imperfect animals and make mistakes just like every other being on this planet. Humanly possible means "as fast as we can while we work on OTHER things too". If you continuously post the same crap over and over after it's deleted, it's called spamming. You DESERVE to be banned for that. Nuff said there.

It's not in anyone's best interest to do anything. Sprint's not going to lose customers (not any that matter anyway...remember, the internet community is pretty damn small compared to the rest of the world and the people complaining about this are in an even smaller group) and neither is Google.

I think you need to learn patience or learn how to root. This is not a big deal at all, honestly. The world will go on.
    02-22-2012 12:44 PM
    I've been treated by sprint in similair ways for years. I had 5 replacements on the EVO Shift, call it bad luck or a ty phone, it took them a long time to finally agree to replace it. I will be leaving sprint as soon as my contract is up. Verizon seems to be more on top of Android/iOS/BB
    02-22-2012 03:50 PM
    petrochemicals: if stuff like this is causing you so much grief maybe you need to look at getting a new life.

The update will come when it comes
    This. Humanly possible doesn't mean overworking employees like chinese children until it is finished. Humanly possible means when it is ready for release.
    Ryuuie likes this.
    02-22-2012 04:51 PM
    My non-Nexus ASUS tablet got ICS yesterday.
    02-25-2012 12:25 PM
    For those that are tired of the way Google is ignoring it's customers. There is a small movement of others that are posting there grievances on Google's Android Google+ page.

https://plus.google.com/104629412415657030658/posts
    02-27-2012 10:03 PM
    For those that are tired of the way Google is ignoring it's customers. There is a small movement of others that are posting there grievances on Google's Android Google+ page.

Really??? LMAO..

02-28-2012 02:02 PM

WOW! Someone might just be a stalker or just loco!

All kidding aside, I am only interested in official release for one reason (radios)! I live in a weak sprint signal area and hoping that with the devs and their fabulous ics roms + new radio from ota I will be a happy camper.
    02-28-2012 02:25 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD