Here's why no ICS is ridiculous

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Jelly Bean (Android 5.0) is expected to arrive this fall. That means, even if we got ICS TODAY, as Nexus owners, we'd only have the most-current Android version for about 6 months! After that, we'd again be on an older version and another phone would have a more current version. That's NOT how Nexus phones are supposed to work.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
The problem is that until the carrier gets the new Nexus your old Nexus is going to be behind. The only way to fix this would be to make sure all new Nexus phones launch on every carrier at the same time. If you put into perspective when the Nexus came out for Sprint we're still not even at the year marker.

LNWJ

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
NS4G has left a really bad taste in my mouth with Android. My Pre never had issues connecting to WiFi/weak signals, slow 3G speeds and dropped calls. My NS4G has all of those issues. Not interested in another referb. Coupled with the poor handling of the ICS upgrade I've just about had it.

Seriously eyeing the iPhone when my wife and I's contracts are up. I don't like the software as much but I need a reliable phone for work.

Reactions: iRaNDrOiD

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
NS4G has left a really bad taste in my mouth with Android. My Pre never had issues connecting to WiFi/weak signals, slow 3G speeds and dropped calls. My NS4G has all of those issues. Not interested in another referb. Coupled with the poor handling of the ICS upgrade I've just about had it.

Seriously eyeing the iPhone when my wife and I's contracts are up. I don't like the software as much but I need a reliable phone for work.

What's funny is my wife has an iPhone 4S and in our house we have weird 'zones' where the signal is weaker and she'll lose her signal while I still have one.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Buy a GSM unlocked phone so you're no longer beholden to a carrier. Problem solved.

How would that have helped? Google has not given any Nexus S phones the official ICS (except of course the very few at T-Mobile before they pulled the plug).

notakook

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Wow so much conjecture I always see. Some of you guys are worst the all the nutty conspiracy theorists :)

The update will come when it's ready, Google is not going put out something out there that has obvious faults. They are a huge company that is held to higher and stricter standard then someone putting out a ROM. It doesn't help Google or Android to delay the upgrade to other (older) Nexus devices. It won't be delayed till Sprint get the GNex.

Please stop with all the conspiracy theories, uninformed guesses, like any of you know what's going on.

With all that said, Yes I want ICS too! :)

Reactions: hardingn88

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Wow so much conjecture I always see. Some of you guys are worst the all the nutty conspiracy theorists :)

The update will come when it's ready, Google is not going put out something out there that has obvious faults. They are a huge company that is held to higher and stricter standard then someone putting out a ROM. It doesn't help Google or Android to delay the upgrade to other (older) Nexus devices. It won't be delayed till Sprint get the GNex.

Please stop with all the conspiracy theories, uninformed guesses, like any of you know what's going on.

When I wrap my Nexus in aluminum and stand on my head between a circle of iPhones....... I lose wifi connection. But, then type in #*#*checikn*#*# and I get iOS update on Android.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Jelly Bean's release (and name) is a RUMOR. Not to mention, if it's as feature powered as those RUMORS say, ICS will most likely be the last OS that the Nexus S gets officially anyway. There's only so much a phone with a single-core processor and 512MB of RAM can do now a days.

Also, the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon would've only been around for less than 1 year and the Sprint GNex wouldn't even be around for six months before Android 5.0 and if the RUMOR holds true, there will be a new phone for Android 5.0 as well.

...Did I mention this is nothing more than speculation based on a RUMOR?

The real reason why no ICS on the NS4G is ridiculous is...well no one really knows unless they work for Google or Sprint, honestly. Here's the gathered RUMORS so far:

1. Sprint is holding the release for Android 4.0.5.
2. Google is holding the release for Android 4.0.5.
3. Samsung is holding the release for Android 4.0.5.
4. Sprint is holding the release until AFTER their version of the Galaxy Nexus launches.
5. Google is holding the release until AFTER the Sprint version of the Galaxy Nexus launches.
6. Samsung is holding the release until AFTER the Sprint version of the Galaxy Nexus launches.
7. Google doesn't care about the Nexus S 4G.
8. Sprint doesn't care about the Nexus S 4G.
9. Samsung doesn't care about the Nexus S 4G.

Samsung being involved in this is automatically out if you know anything about Nexus devices. :| But people still seem to believe it just because Samsung made the phone.

We've got people on the forums willingly telling users of AC to spam Google's Google+ page for "answers". This is just getting sad.

The update is coming and no amount of whining, conspiracy theories, or spam to Google or Sprint will make it come any faster.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, I'd like to see more Linux distributions (In the future more or less now when all the phones are running close to the same specs as all computers being out and with the Tegras 3s out now) from say Ubuntu, Mint, etc running their own phone software; but, more importantly there desktops like the Ubuntu coming out. This way you have almost nothing to do with Google or any phone manufacturer just like computers. You have the freedom of more options to run whatever.

Then, you won't even have to worry about how old your phone is, etc. Think about it. Quad core phones. I've ever evened owned a quad core desktop. My last notebook was single core. I never needed any more than that and windows 7 or a good version of linux.

Phone hardware and freedom to run whatever OS you want is the future! If you compare computers to phones.... all cell phones are Appled out. It's time to break free.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site

Who's spouting conspiracy theories? The reason I'm upset is not simply that my Nexus phone still doesn't have official ICS, but that there's been ZERO information from Google about it. If they'd simply been giving us 1-line updates every month or so about their progress on it -- to let us know they're actually working on it -- that would have solved the issue for many people. But zero communication just lets people know they're not a priority.

the727kid

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
More crybabies? I thought you all were bashing Sprint forums with your non sense.

On a side note... I thought the rumor was Jellybean is for tablets? I mean it would make sense since mobile devices leapfrogged 3.0, shouldn't the tablets leapfrog 4.0?

notakook

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Jelly Bean (Android 5.0) is expected to arrive this fall. That means, even if we got ICS TODAY, as Nexus owners, we'd only have the most-current Android version for about 6 months! .

Maybe not a conspiracy theory on your part exactly, but I've heard plenty of them around the webs, but that statement above is just you guessing and pulling it out of your ass... :) you have no idea when Jelly Bean will be released.

And hey I'm with you, I think Google is dropping the ball taking so long to get it out in the wild. But there is so much crap being thrown around as to why and why not, it's pretty funny.

allendj81

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
I waited for an update til December of last year, than i decided to root my gnex...piece of cake! ive been running stable ICS roms ever since and ive had no problems whatsoever. You just have to know what roms to use, simple as that. so no more crying and waiting, just root people. I got tired of doing both btw :)

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Phone hardware and freedom to run whatever OS you want is the future

There seems to be some sort of push for this...with webOS going open source, the new Boot to Gecko OS from Mozilla...(is Meego this way too?). Not sure how it would all work with carriers and their very restrictive policies, though.

JDGAFFLIN

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I understand that Google has a lot on their plate. My thing is, just drop a statement letting us know it's being worked on. "Hey guys & gals, we know your waiting.." blah blah blah type statement is all Im looking for. It doesnt have to have a date, or anything else. Just let the people know it's being worked on is all.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I understand that Google has a lot on their plate. My thing is, just drop a statement letting us know it's being worked on. "Hey guys & gals, we know your waiting.." blah blah blah type statement is all Im looking for. It doesnt have to have a date, or anything else. Just let the people know it's being worked on is all.

Well, there's always this:

Fe3F3.jpg

Straight from Google's own Google Apps Device Policy app on the Android Market and uploaded by Google themselves.

It's not an "official statement" like everyone's clamoring for (which won't happen until it's actually out, of course) but I guess it's something? It's probably just a mock-up, anyway. But if not, it does show that they've at least been working on it since October of last year.

Reactions: hardingn88

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac