Im married to my Nexus S 4G, but I was weak and I strayed.

Ive had a Nexus S 4G since May 2011. Shes a beauty. Though she has been a good partner, shes not perfect and she has her problems. We sometimes dont get along. So I Window shopped

As a Sprint SERO user, I will probably be sticking with Sprint unless I move to one of the MVNOs. As a Sprint customer, I was stuck with paying for 4G that I cannot use in my hometown, and I didnt have many other options. And I was yearning for a physical keyboard. Long-term relationships with a Palm Treo and a Palm Pre, were the basis for increasing frustration with the software keyboard. Swype never worked well for us and the tactile sensation of a Palm stayed with me. I used to go back and type on my old phones. Just to feel it again.

And then there is this young, elegant OS: Windows Phone 7. And here is the HTC Arrive: physical keyboard, no 4G. Something new. Something different. Flashy. Beautiful. Elegant.

But Im on contract, so I cant do anything, right. So it starts with eBay. Theres no harm in looking, after all. Then the rationalizations flood in: with no 4G, I can save $120 over the coming year. And then I see her. Shes brand new. She has Mango(s). Shes clean (ESN). Only $175. Over a year, thats just $55 for a physical keyboard - I tell myself. This could quell this burning inside.

So I bid.

And I win. There is no turning back.

I await the day of her arrival. She comes home, and shes beautiful, different, alluring. Im now fully in. I am exploring. I activate her.

And we continue for a day like this. Exploring. Finding her strengths. Her weaknesses. What can she handle? What does she like? What do I like about her?

But her keyboard, which looked great in the pictures, doesnt really work that well. My fingers cant quite make the slider mechanism work. She just isnt receptive. The Windows Marketplace is barren. And then there is Google

I may be married to my Nexus S 4G, but I married her because of Google. For better or worse, I am addicted to Google. I use Gmail, Calendar, Docs, Music, Search, Chat, Reader, Picasa. Google completes me.

But I just cant get Google to work well enough for me on my Arrive. They are compatible. But not compatible enough. They just arent communicating.

And my thoughts wander back to my Nexus S 4G. Her crummy radio, Wifi, and GPS. Her software keyboard. The 4G symbol that never gets turned on. But she works with Google. WE used to work together

So I come back home. After one day with the Arrive, I activate my Nexus S 4G and I embrace her like I never have before. I discover SwiftKey, and for the first time we are typing in harmony. I can live with the 4G that never turns on. I can live with her other problems.

The HTC Arrive is a nice phone. Shes beautiful - with her smooth lines, and elegant OS. Some of you may deride me, saying, If you were so into Google, why did you run off with Windows Phone 7? Well I was weak. I was stupid. I looked at the other side and saw something that I didnt see in my phone, and I wanted that. Those things blinded me to what my phone was and is.

I cant say Ill never be tempted again. How could I not be tempted? But Im in love like I never have been before, and I think were in for the long haul.
    WiseManWhite and Dub-J like this.
    03-22-2012 06:30 PM
    Lol, what?
    readingkeeper likes this.
    03-22-2012 08:19 PM
    Haha!

This is like a Android Central submission of Penthouse forums! Nice analogy.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    03-22-2012 08:29 PM
    Well done..ha.
    03-22-2012 09:08 PM
    Hope you remembered to wrap it up during this "affair."
    drummer7 likes this.
    03-22-2012 11:22 PM
    I was going to give you the name of a marriage counselor, but it sounds like you two have patched things up. Good luck in the future!
    03-23-2012 06:17 AM
    I was stuck with paying for 4G that I cannot use...

...with no 4G, I can save $120 over the coming year...
    You DO know that $10/month is for all smartphones, right? Not just 4G. You're still going to pay that $10/month whether you like it or not...unless you buy one of those "eco" phones like the Replenish.
    03-23-2012 08:34 AM
    That was FANTASTIC! HA-HA. Does this guy write for Hustler?
    03-23-2012 08:50 AM
    can I try your windows phone?
    03-23-2012 10:13 AM
    That is funny. I am also having an affair with a Samsung Focus with Mango(closest phone similar to my I9020a). Only thing is this is becoming a dual marriage or trial separation. Mine was 129 from Gazelle and other than some stupid issues with Microsoft office, windows 7 is quite a bit more refined than my nexus s. If Microsoft got a little bit more on the ball with app/program selection I might go for good.
    Quis89 likes this.
    03-23-2012 06:35 PM
    My fingers cant quite make the slider mechanism work. She just isnt receptive.
    we've all had this problem I reckon.
    03-24-2012 12:34 AM
    If the rumors of Nokia bringing the Lumia to Sprint are true, I'm eloping and not looking back.

I miss using WinPho7. My poor old HD7 is just sitting there being ignored.
    03-24-2012 05:38 AM
    The wife and I went to the HTC Arrive from our Palm Pre's. Frankly, it was less jarring than Android at the time. I used a Nexus S 4G for a week and ended up trading it for an HTC Arrive. After time with the Arrive, we are both switch to Nexus S 4Gs. Although, we have to use the Seidio extended battery with the big *** back cover to get any where near usable battery life. That is one thing the multi-app-pausing "multitasking" that WP7 and iOS use get you, better battery life.

Switching between apps on Android is still annoying as hell, compared to webOS and much worse than WP7. What I don't miss is trying to figure out how to "hack" Zune enough to get even close to acceptable podcast support or load audio books I have in MP3 format. If I wanted to have to deal with a single crappy piece of software to get stuff on my phone, I'd just use the steaming pile of iTunes crap on an iDevice. *shudder*
    03-26-2012 11:38 AM
    I've had an arrive as my daily driver for the past year, but picked up a pre-owned nexus s 4g for cheap- so I'm making the switch. I'm not a fan of the form factor of the arrive and am I never use the hardware keyboard. Also, I'm missing the app selection of android. I'm not selling my arrive immediately, because I want to test drive the NS4G before giving her up. I hope I can tolerate the battery life on the NS4G becuase the arrive has been great, and I'll have to hope that spotify and a podcatcher can replace my zune music service- which I love.
    04-05-2012 08:11 PM
    I've had an arrive as my daily driver for the past year, but picked up a pre-owned nexus s 4g for cheap- so I'm making the switch. I'm not a fan of the form factor of the arrive and am I never use the hardware keyboard. Also, I'm missing the app selection of android. I'm not selling my arrive immediately, because I want to test drive the NS4G before giving her up. I hope I can tolerate the battery life on the NS4G becuase the arrive has been great, and I'll have to hope that spotify and a podcatcher can replace my zune music service- which I love.
    Perfect timing for you as Android ICS 4.0 was just released for the Nexus S 4G.
    04-05-2012 08:34 PM
    I see that all of these nexus s 4g stories are with gingerbread on board and not ICS. I agree, windows phone 7 is an elegant and smooth os. But so is android 4.0. Google improved a lot with this update. Hardware acceleration is here, so everything runs a lot smoother. If you were thinking of leaving android for another os, because Android wasn't polished enough, I encourage u to try ICS first, and if you still don't like it then make your switch.
    04-06-2012 07:43 AM
    LOVE IT
    04-06-2012 04:40 PM
    Just received ICS update on my Nexus S 4G. I like some of the webOS features that they borrowed. The UI is getting a little better.

For those interested in my problems with Windows Phone and switch to Android:

joesacher.com Blog Archive Windows Phone Experiment is Over
    04-11-2012 12:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD