[ICS][4.0.4][NS4G] ICS 4.0.4. IMM26D FASTBOOT Installation Method

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
CWM is our custom recovery used to flash ROM, kernels and make backups.

Superuser is obtaining root to the device.

mattg67

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: [ICS][4.0.4][NS4G] ICS 4.0.4. IMM26D FASTBOOT Installation Me

could i just pull the individual backup files from the individual apps off the sd card then put them back after the device wipe and restore them?

Nope the data you want to save is located in /data which you can't access without root permissions.

Reactions: Paul627g

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site

Paul627g, would you be able to write a script to relock the device if a person wanted? Or would I have to worry about that if I rolled back to Gingerbread to accept the OTA? It wouldn't relock the device or break anything would it?

I'm new to the whole unlocked bootloader/rooting thing (I didn't root though, just unlocked the bootloader).

Thanks! :)

Reactions: jezer29

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

Paul627g, would you be able to write a script to relock the device if a person wanted? Or would I have to worry about that if I rolled back to Gingerbread to accept the OTA? It wouldn't relock the device or break anything would it?

I'm new to the whole unlocked bootloader/rooting thing (I didn't root though, just unlocked the bootloader).

Thanks! :)

No problem...

Really it won't matter leaving the bootloader unlocked at this point. But if you would like to lock it back up then here is the script below... Just throw it in that folder of tools I provided and click on the script from your bootloader screen.

Note: I would save locking the device back up until after you roll back to GB. Otherwise you will have to again unlock it to flash the GB images to rollback.

run_bootloader_lock.zip (unzip and drop it in the IMM26D_Fastboot_Install directory)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ryuuie

WizLateefUh

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

Works great so far, just re-installed cwm and super user. seems to be running smoother than my previous oICS rom made by aosp, this one though seems like a keep

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site

No problem...

Really it won't matter leaving the bootloader unlocked at this point. But if you would like to lock it back up then here is the script below... Just throw it in that folder of tools I provided and click on the script from your bootloader screen.

Note: I would save locking the device back up until after you roll back to GB. Otherwise you will have to again unlock it to flash the GB images to rollback.

run_bootloader_unlock.zip (unzip and drop it in the IMM26D_Fastboot_Install directory)

Sweet! Thanks!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
@Ryuuie, I should note that was a typo in my post. I listed it as an unlock script but that was a typo..

5nowman

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site

Running smoothly! Just reinstalling my apps now.

jfaggett02

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

Will someone still be able to receive future OTA updates from Google or Sprint after they flash their phone?

fomotomo

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
So wait if use the cwm and superuser well I just be rooted? And will I still receive the official update?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Zerocool84

May 26, 2011
Visit site
So wait if use the cwm and superuser well I just be rooted? And will I still receive the official update?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

No you won't get the official update, you have to be bone stock for that when it comes so if you want that don't install this update? If the real update is ever different you can easily install that.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
@whoever is interested....

I will be updating the "return to stock" thread in the rooting and hacking section today with 2 methods for returning to stock.

This will be needed for those wishing to receive the official OTA update after flashing this or those who just need to return to stock or unroot the device.

Reactions: 5nowman

chrism8188

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

Odin did not work for me because of driver issues, trust me i tried everything. but fastboot worked like a charm! so easy thumps up i registered just to get this info but now i am goin to visit anytime i can. thanks again

madtechie

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site

Hi, Odin also did not work for me, i've tried fastboot method, after connecting NS4G to PC and running "unlock.bat" phrase saying "waiting for device" appears on the screen but cannot load anything... i've found on different sites that pdanet drivers could help to fix it, also i've enabled "USB debugging" option on my NS4G, after that "unlock.bat" and "install.bat" worked fine! Thank you!

Last edited:

flipfone

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site

Question. Is this a new leak? Or the same leak as before?

roysha

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site

So I'm pretty new to this whole thing and the instructions look pretty straightforward (thanks Paul627g!). I'll be coming from stock GB if I do go this route. My one holdup is sort of along the lines of 65fastback22 wanting to back up his app data...Is it possible to back up text (SMS) messages from the Messaging app & restore them on the newly flashed upgrade? That's about the only thing that's holding me back from updating right now (and having to do the full wipe) as I'd rather not lose all my Messaging history.

Are there any other things that those of you who flash/swap-out ROMS frequently find yourself missing or wishing you could back up/restore? Thanks!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

So I'm pretty new to this whole thing and the instructions look pretty straightforward (thanks Paul627g!). I'll be coming from stock GB if I do go this route. My one holdup is sort of along the lines of 65fastback22 wanting to back up his app data...Is it possible to back up text (SMS) messages from the Messaging app & restore them on the newly flashed upgrade? That's about the only thing that's holding me back from updating right now (and having to do the full wipe) as I'd rather not lose all my Messaging history.

Are there any other things that those of you who flash/swap-out ROMS frequently find yourself missing or wishing you could back up/restore? Thanks!

Actually there is.

SMS Backup and Restore by Ritesh Sahu (get the right one :) ) from the Google Play Store (free app).

It will save your texts to your sdcard. You can then pull the backup file off your sdcard and throw it on your computer for safe keeping. They are located in a folder called SMSBackupRestore and you will see the given filename (backup) inside there.

It is actually a nice program, you can view and selectively restore messages along with other options.. I've used it many times in the past for my wife on her device.

For your other question, I have included brief instructions on how to "root" your device and install CWM (ClockWorkMod recovery) on you device using this package. This would then allow you to make backups and restores using programs like Titanium Backup or My Backup Root which you can make & restore backups of anything you like on your device. Apps, Data, etc... This then answers your question about saving & restoring stuff when swapping ROMs ;)

roysha

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Actually there is.

SMS Backup and Restore by Ritesh Sahu (get the right one :) ) from the Google Play Store (free app).

It will save your texts to your sdcard. You can then pull the backup file off your sdcard and throw it on your computer for safe keeping. They are located in a folder called SMSBackupRestore and you will see the given filename (backup) inside there.

It is actually a nice program, you can view and selectively restore messages along with other options.. I've used it many times in the past for my wife on her device.

For your other question, I have included brief instructions on how to "root" your device and install CWM (ClockWorkMod recovery) on you device using this package. This would then allow you to make backups and restores using programs like Titanium Backup or My Backup Root which you can make & restore backups of anything you like on your device. Apps, Data, etc... This then answers your question about saving & restoring stuff when swapping ROMs ;)

This is awesome! Lots of great info here; thanks Paul! I plan to give this all a shot soon!