get the OTA ICS yet?

jeffrok

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
I dunno if this warrants a new thread or not, so feel free to delete or merge if needed..

This thread is for people to check in when they receive ICS official, OTA. some of us here are not rooters, and I have yet to see a case of someone getting the Sprint ICS update.

Post here when you do, and your impressions.

Last edited:

mmaldin

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have no doubt that ICS has been officially released for the NS4G but I find it interesting that there is no evidence as yet that anyone really has it.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I'll say it.

No one has received an official ICS update OTA on the Nexus S 4G.*

*outside of Google employees

That is not true. There are uses on XDA's forums who have gotten the update as confirmed by Sprint and Google has also confirmed that users have the update as well.

You'll just have to wait as Google themselves is updating the phone this time (unlike the past few times) so they are releasing it slowly, not all at once like Sprint would.

feoysolo

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Okay, I've done a little searching and haven't found a definitive answer:

I am running the stock sprint rom, but I am rooted. Do I need to un-root to get the OTA update?

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I've done a little searching and haven't found a definitive answer:

I am running the stock sprint rom, but I am rooted. Do I need to un-root to get the OTA update?

You don't have to unroot, but you will lose root if you update using the OTA. So it's not advised to upgrade with the OTA until given the okay by fan-coders.

Reactions: feoysolo

jprins68

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
My phone just got the OTA. It was non-root, fully stock Gingerbread. The update is at the Optimizing application phase, but I can update with more details soon.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Can't wait until someone pulls a Google download link for us ;)

If you receive the OTA update notification, before you accept it run a Log Cat on your device...

Go to Market, download/search for Log Cat.

Install and run it... Copy and paste your log to this thread or save to file and upload it... In dozens and dozens of lines of data there will be the Google link to the update.zip/OTA update...

kbboykin

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Thats the only way your going to receive it.... Stock GB 2.3.7

So I should ODIN back to GB 2.3.7 from the leaked "official" IMM76D? Or is it worth doing that. I am using the odexed version of the ROM leaked by Korey. I am also running at the moment, a rooted unlocked GB 2.3.7

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
So I should ODIN back to GB 2.3.7 from the leaked "official" IMM76D? Or is it worth doing that. I am using the odexed version of the ROM leaked by Korey. I am also running at the moment, a rooted unlocked GB 2.3.7

Yes, you're goign to want to go back to 2.3.7. Korey's version is unofficial and, despite what he'll tell you, is NOT the official OTA version. They have different radios.

kbboykin

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Yes, you're goign to want to go back to 2.3.7. Korey's version is unofficial and, despite what he'll tell you, is NOT the official OTA version. They have different radios.

I think I read somewhere that the radio was being reported wrong with the OTA, that it is actually LC1. Anyone can confirm this.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Just got the update too!

From JBQ:

Specifically about Nexus S 4G, there's a known bug in the bootloader, where it reports the wrong radio version number after flashing the radio, which then doesn't get recognized by fastboot. The workaround is to boot into whatever version of Android is on your device, and then return to fastboot and restart the flashing sequence.

But those with the OTA have said it's a different baseband.

Also, i'm running a log cat to find the OTA for you guys. :p