Nexus S 4G ICS Bugs

PalmFanat1c

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
All Nexus S 4G ICS (4.0.4) Bugs
  • Wifi 3G/4G
    I've noticed that the Wifi signal has dropped significantly. I used to be able to grab 4-7 Mbps but now I only get 700-800Kbps. Also 3G/4G data speed have dropped dramatically it takes up to 5 minutes to download a 4MB song from the play store.​
  • Battery
    My battery dies withing 4 hours of being unplugged with occasional texting. Also I know have the battery bug and it only charges up to 90%​
  • USB Transfer Rate
    With gingerbread I could get between 4-6Mbps transfer rate but now I only get 400-500Kbps. and takes forever to sync over music and install apps to internal storage.​
  • Signal and Dropped Calls
    I have noticed that now I am getting more dropped and missed calls then usual. Sometimes the phone doesnt ring or vibrate but i can see the call and sometimes it doesnt even notice that I am getting a call but will show a voicemail notification after the call is missed​
  • MMS issues
    Unable to receive Picture mail or Vcards.​
  • Camera Issues/Bluetooth
    Camera takes multiple pictures with one press. Zoom feature is MIA and sometimes camera app doesnt respond when switching to panoramic mode. Also Bluetooth tends to lag and distort whenever playing music to car and Motorola S9 headphones​
  • Volume and Speaker Phone
    Noticed significant volume decrease when playing music through speaker or when in a call using speaker phone.​
  • Settings
    Wireless settings is almost never available unless I restart my phone.​

arrasmith

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
@Android Fanatic

How long have you been running ICS? For me it took a day or two before things settled down. Also, most of your problems could be related to a rouge process sucking up the CPU and not allowing the system to sleep. Check your Awake time under battery settings.

PalmFanat1c

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
@Android Fanatic

How long have you been running ICS? For me it took a day or two before things settled down. Also, most of your problems could be related to a rouge process sucking up the CPU and not allowing the system to sleep. Check your Awake time under battery settings.

I checked that to make sure it wasnt a rogue process but I've been on the official ICS since it started rolling out. I flashed back to Gingerbread today couldnt take it anymore. The lack of ext4 explains the slow USB transfer speed. Im not the only one having these issues if you go on the sprint forum they have a better detailed explanation of the bugs

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
All Nexus S 4G ICS (4.0.4) Bugs
  • Wifi 3G/4G
    I've noticed that the Wifi signal has dropped significantly. I used to be able to grab 4-7 Mbps but now I only get 700-800Kbps. Also 3G/4G data speed have dropped dramatically it takes up to 5 minutes to download a 4MB song from the play store.​
  • Battery
    My battery dies withing 4 hours of being unplugged with occasional texting. Also I know have the battery bug and it only charges up to 90%​
  • USB Transfer Rate
    With gingerbread I could get between 4-6Mbps transfer rate but now I only get 400-500Kbps. and takes forever to sync over music and install apps to internal storage.​
  • Signal and Dropped Calls
    I have noticed that now I am getting more dropped and missed calls then usual. Sometimes the phone doesnt ring or vibrate but i can see the call and sometimes it doesnt even notice that I am getting a call but will show a voicemail notification after the call is missed​
  • MMS issues
    Unable to receive Picture mail or Vcards.​
  • Camera Issues/Bluetooth
    Camera takes multiple pictures with one press. Zoom feature is MIA and sometimes camera app doesnt respond when switching to panoramic mode. Also Bluetooth tends to lag and distort whenever playing music to car and Motorola S9 headphones​
  • Volume and Speaker Phone
    Noticed significant volume decrease when playing music through speaker or when in a call using speaker phone.​
  • Settings
    Wireless settings is almost never available unless I restart my phone.​

I don't c how u had bugs with a new one and my old ns4g with ics works perfect with no bugs idk:confused:

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I would like to think that once Google rolls out Android 4.0.5 to the GNex and gets that tested out it should resolve many of these issues for the GNex and it should filter down to us on the NS4G.

Thank fully on custom ROMs the devs have cured many of these little bugs either in the OS itself or by tweaking the modified/custom kernels we run so you don't really hear about them that much.

FYI, Gingerbread started at v2.3.4 on the NS4G and finished up at v2.3.7 so if they follow a similar path/history with ICS we should still have a few more updates under our belt to iron out the kinks.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I flashed back to GB today and everything works fine so my phone isnt broken seeing how its branspankin new
Point being, your laundry list of problems aren't universal ICS bugs. It's just your phone having those problems with a bad flash or whatever. Since you're obviously rooted, try a non-stock ROM.

losino

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I have had ice on here since they first started rolling the update out. It is quite buggy. The battery life is horrible now. It has some cool features, but this isn't good enough to be the final version.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Quite frankly the only issues I have with ICS on my Nexus are (1) the screen Auto brightness setting being noticeably dimmer than on GB and (2) the popup keyboard (swiftkey) seems to take longer to appear and at times is a bit laggy - could be the app itself.

In regards to signal - voice & WiFi - I have noticed significant improvement, data signal is about the same for me. On GB my wifi radio signal used to fluctuate and streaming was interrupted occasionally, with the screen off, the wifi disconnected from the source despite settings to the contrary on the main wifi menu. That behavior has been completely corrected on ICS. I have not experienced any of the dropped calls I used to have on GB that lead me to go back to the Evo until now.

One area I have also noticed, my speakerphone/media volume is louder than on GB by a small but welcomed amount. Battery life for me is about the same, and BT connectivity has not changed for me. Excellent swipe to dismiss implementation of alerts on the notification bar and open program bar - very WebOS like - hope they carry that to other Google apps especially Gmail. Not sold on the permanent search bar at the top, I know it can be removed by using an alternate launcher or rooting but I am still playing with the stock ROM here.

Overall, I feel this was a positive update (despite the delays). However, to my taste I see ICS interface as lacking in polish, still trying to like the whole holo scheme. But this is a matter of personal taste and not a bug.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Can't select a song in my music folder and utilize it as a ringtone for phone or alarm. With GB it was easy to do. Any suggestions?

On the root directory create a new folder and call it media. Inside media, create another folder and call it ringtones. Copy any mp3 you want to use as a ringer here. Then it will appear on the list of ringtones where it can be selected in the usual fashion.

Reactions: JDGAFFLIN

opteron7

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
While listening to iheartradio when I go to an area with no reception and when it comes back it gets stuck at 1x and it stays there until I shut down... boooo

robmcalister

May 4, 2011
Visit site
My experience thus far is similar: I'm noticing the same Auto brightness issue and the same SwiftKey delay. Other than those two problems, ICS has been an improvement over GB just like you've described. In addition, the GPS location seems noticeably quicker and network connectivity seems more stable (WiFi specifically). I am getting used to the differences and liking most of the changes/enhancements. I was pretty happy on GB before and overall ICS has been a good upgrade in my opinion.

JohnAlpha

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
In addition, the GPS location seems noticeably quicker and network connectivity seems more stable (WiFi specifically).

I'll have to test this out since I haven't really used my GPS since the upgrade. In GB it got pretty frustrating how long it would take GPS to get a solid connection. There were a few instances where I would have to sit around waiting for a few minutes for the GPS before I could actually drive somewhere, so any improvement will be welcome.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
While listening to iheartradio when I go to an area with no reception and when it comes back it gets stuck at 1x and it stays there until I shut down... boooo

Toggle airplane mode, same result but quicker than a reboot.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
That ringtone suggestion worked like a charm. Thanks

On the same media folder you can add a notifications and an alarms folder to add mp3 you may want to use for those in the same manner.

Is not an ICS thing as much as an Android one. Enjoy.

Last edited: