Hey guys, I just bought a used Nexus S last night that is already rooted, I've been reading around here and I think I'm correct when I say that ICS is available for these phones stock, right? Just wondering if I should unroot it when I get it and update to ICS or leave it rooted and mess around with some ROMs.

I've been using an Optimus S but the power button quit working a couple weeks ago and last night I dropped it and the batter fell out so I can't turn it back on anymore, hence, why I bought a Nexus.
    04-20-2012 06:02 PM
    I'd stick with the custom ROMs.. You will get more mileage and better mods/options to use within the custom ROMs..

Not to mention you have custom kernels at your disposal to improve battery life and device usage.
    04-20-2012 06:05 PM
    Well I got my Optimus to boot up but I'm still gonna switch to the Nexus since I already bought it. Can't wait for it to show up next week.

I think I will toy around with some of the ROMs. I'll have to do some reading through. How much different is the Nexus going to be compared to installing ROMs on my Optimus?

Sent from my HydroROM LS670
    04-20-2012 06:49 PM
    Not much different.. You have CWM (ClockWorkMod), Rom Manager and TWRP (Team Win Recovery) to use on the Nexus. I recommend just staying away from ROM Manager, too often things go wrong with the recovery on your device with ROM Manager.

Basically its the whole same principle as what your using on the Optimus...

Boot into your recovery from a powered off state. (Power +Volume Up).
    From your bootloader screen select RECOVERY (Navigate using VOL UP/DOWN, Select with Power)
    Boot into recovery and make your Nandroid Backup
    Then do your wipes
    Then flash your ROM
    Reboot.

Nexus has probably one of the easiest and most user friendly Bootloaders and Recovery.

Good luck.
    aaronrw and formula355 like this.
    04-20-2012 08:20 PM
    Looks like its just as easy as the Optimus, sounds good to me. I'm getting excited now. Hope the Nexus lives up to the reviews I've read on it.

04-20-2012 08:45 PM
    Looks like its just as easy as the Optimus, sounds good to me. I'm getting excited now. Hope the Nexus lives up to the reviews I've read on it.

Just read this thread. Now going to get me a nexus for sure. Was also curious as to the rooting, recovery, rom process. Thanks..

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2
    04-20-2012 08:50 PM

Its a good device.. It has its little quirks like any device... Nothing is perfect.. But I can say I don't regret getting it one bit, its been a fun time.
    04-20-2012 09:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD