Nexus S 4G locks up when sleeping since installing ICS

Dave_N

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Since the upgrade to ICS 4.0.4, my Nexus S 4g has begun locking up just after the screen goes to sleep. Even though this could be a hardware issue, this never occurred with 2.3.7. My upgrade was a stock over the air upgrade to 4.0.4. Sometimes I get the recovery screen, (Android mascot with red exclamation triangle over belly) and sometimes I only get a white Google necessitating battery removal and multiple boot attempts.

If I leave it plugged in with Stay Awake selected from the developer options menu, the phone can go mulitple days without locking up. If I remember to interact with the phone more frequently than the sleep setting, it never crashes. But if I leave it on battery and let it go to sleep, it locks up soon after the go to sleep interval.

Is there anything that happens just before sleep that could be causing this?

So far, I've tried a factory reset and erasing all usb storage. It seemed to be more stable for a little while, i.e. I could let the phone go to sleep and wake it up. But over the course of 2-3 hours as all my apps returned, the lock up started again.

Any suggestions for debugging this?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
If you claimed it stopped for a while after the factory reset and then started once again after your applications returned from your Google auto backup/restore option then I would say its a rogue app causing issues.

Something you have on your device just might not be playing nice with ICS.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
If you claimed it stopped for a while after the factory reset and then started once again after your applications returned from your Google auto backup/restore option then I would say its a rogue app causing issues.

Something you have on your device just might not be playing nice with ICS.

Certainly the most logical explanation.

Dave_N

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I agree this seems logical. However, I am at a loss as to how to debug this. I have the log collector application, but it seems logs are gone by the time I reboot.

I do have the android sdk installed. Is there anything to be learned by connecting after the problem occurs? I have not tried this and I do expect the phone to be unresponsive, though.

It seems others are reporting something similar as well:
Issue 23382 - android - Touch screen unresponsive with Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Makinola

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
The issue is within your settings. Enter your settings menu and click the security section. Within the security section you can change if you want the screen to lock up right after the screen turns off.

Dave_N

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Right, but when I say locks up I mean that the phone becomes unresponsive and I have to pull the battery to get it to restart. Sometimes I get the broken android man and sometimes I don't

BenjaSands

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm When my phone is locked (i dont have a password for it) sometimes when I move the lock thing to the right to unlock it it is unresponsive. I dont know if my screen is THAT dirty or something else haha

But I noticed turning off the screen and then turning it back on and trying to unlock after works fine after....

longejs

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I am getting the same issue. I thought it was an apps so I reinstalled it and I am still getting this issue without any apps. Also, after a while all my apps will say "Unfortunately <app> as stopped" and will shut down. I have to reboot to fix either one of these.

I reinstalled it by flashing 2.3.7 again and then using the OTA update to put it back to 4.0.4.

SeanFL

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
My dad's Nexus S has the exact same issue after upgrading to ICS. My mom has the same phone, upgraded it to ICS over the air and doesn't have the issue.

Repeating the problem: the screen goes to sleep after timeout like normal, but then you can't wake the phone back up. It's unresponsive...and you have to pull the battery.

I thought it would be a rouge app, but can't seem to figure it out. I HAVE factory reset it, then installed just a couple apps, and still have the issue. Very weird. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Sean

Dave_N

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

As the original poster, I thought I would update my experience. In the end, I could never find the issue and I just sent it to Samsung in Richardson, TX for repair under warranty. It was free, but I was without my phone for 3 weeks.

The only explaination I got out was
  • Identified Faulty Component
  • Replaced Faulty Component
  • Failed final test
  • On-hold for back-ordered component
  • Replaced Faulty Component.

It has worked solidly since.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
My dad's Nexus S has the exact same issue after upgrading to ICS. My mom has the same phone, upgraded it to ICS over the air and doesn't have the issue.

Repeating the problem: the screen goes to sleep after timeout like normal, but then you can't wake the phone back up. It's unresponsive...and you have to pull the battery.

I thought it would be a rouge app, but can't seem to figure it out. I HAVE factory reset it, then installed just a couple apps, and still have the issue. Very weird. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Sean

The only lockscreen issue I'm having is it is a lil laggy but only when hot or running a lot of apps

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

knique0

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I am getting the same issue. I thought it was an apps so I reinstalled it and I am still getting this issue without any apps. Also, after a while all my apps will say "Unfortunately <app> as stopped" and will shut down. I have to reboot to fix either one of these.

I reinstalled it by flashing 2.3.7 again and then using the OTA update to put it back to 4.0.4.

This this fix your issue? I'm thinking of attempting the same thing - but I have to root the phone first. Thanks for any help.

art2noise

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

As the original poster, I thought I would update my experience. In the end, I could never find the issue and I just sent it to Samsung in Richardson, TX for repair under warranty. It was free, but I was without my phone for 3 weeks.

The only explaination I got out was
  • Identified Faulty Component
  • Replaced Faulty Component
  • Failed final test
  • On-hold for back-ordered component
  • Replaced Faulty Component.

It has worked solidly since.

Thinking about doing this as well. I don't have insurance on my phone and I know i'm going to have to pay out of pocket for Sprint to give me a refurb. My phone has progressively gotten worse with the 'freezing' randomly and on startup.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith