Awaiting a 4" successor...

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm able to upgrade now, but looking at the new EVO and the Galaxy S3, it seems like all the best stuff coming out is way bigger than the NS4G with it's near-perfectly sized (in my opinion, of course) 4" screen.

As it is, the NS4G is the biggest phone I've had and it fits snugly in my front jeans pocket. I'm just not liking the 'ginormous' size that all the best devices seem to be moving towards. Should I just try to hold out until a similarly sized yet powerful device that I will be able to keep for 20 months comes to Sprint? Do you think it will happen?

phonesc.png

ROB_M

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I agree completely. I like the size and shape of my NS4G better than any other phone I have ever seen. I felt that new Galaxy Nexus and it felt huge compared to my NS4G. The NS4G shape is really sleek and like you said, it fits very nicely in the front pocket (hardly noticeable).

Rob_M

djw39

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
My feelings exactly. What's disturbing to me is that we already went through one round of new phones from HTC, Moto and Samsung at 4.3" all of which I thought were too big, then I assumed the updated Google phone would stick with 4" but instead they went larger! And now we are into a new generation of phones all at 4.6+... any 4 inch phone will out of necessity be the manufacturer's "other" phone on Sprint i.e. not their flagship device.

Except maybe Apple.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

opteron7

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I would have to agree 4inch is the perfect size in my opinion. Easily fits in my pocket the most important for me. I just hope the next flavor of nexus are 4inchers. Or give us the option of different sizes.

VetteDude

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I loved the size of my Fascinate screen much more when I hadn't used a Galaxy Nexus before. 4" just seems a little bit too small now for browsing the web and even the on-screen keyboard. 4.3 seems like a great size, but I think I'm going to make the leap to the 4.8" Galaxy S3 anyways. The problem with 4" phones is that there is less room to cram chips into the chassis.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
What I'd prefer is a phone the width/height of the Nexus S, with a 4.5 inch screen (so edge-to-edge just like the Nokia N9) and about 1/3 thinner (and a pixel density of 320+ ppi). That would be the perfect phone.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Good thread.. Just discussing this with one of the AC staff about our NS4G's..

I hate to park mine for a new device but the problem is I'm just getting bored and need something to revive my interests which is fueling my need to purchase either the SGSIII or the HTC EVO 4g LTE....

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
So we may get a Nexus explosion later this year Google to sell flagship Nexus devices with multiple partners this fall, reports WSJ | The Verge
I will definitely stick it out with the NS4G till then. Hopefully we will see next-gen chips like the OMAP5 or S4 Pro in these phones too.

Guess I should have clarified: awaiting a 4" successor on Sprint.

CDMA carriers don't generally deal with unlocked devices, right? Wasn't that the whole problem with us getting the ICS update...because of the proprietary CDMA drivers or radios or whatever it was?

djw39

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Guess I should have clarified: awaiting a 4" successor on Sprint.

CDMA carriers don't generally deal with unlocked devices, right? Wasn't that the whole problem with us getting the ICS update...because of the proprietary CDMA drivers or radios or whatever it was?

Sprint and Google have a healthy and mutually beneficial relationship and I fully expect Sprint to offer subsidized variants of the new phones which work on their CDMA and LTE networks