Hey all,

I'm eligible for an upgrade and think the Galaxy Nexus is an awesome phone, however I'm a bit undecided as to whether I should upgrade or not. I recently updated my NS4G to ICS and it runs well enough, and overall is a great phone. I've weighed the pros and cons of the Galaxy but wanted to read some thoughts of those of you who have decided to stick with their NS4Gs for the foreseeable future. Are you perfectly happy with it? Do you not see the Galaxy as being worth the upgrade? Thanks for your input.
    05-16-2012 02:57 PM
    I think a number of us have mentioned already that it doesn't really seem worthwhile, particularly since it's a 6 month old phone already and you'd essentially be signed onto it for another 20 months for the subsidized device.

If it's a matter of you only wanting a Nexus device, you could do worse than the GNex...or you could hold out until the announcement this fall on the Jellybean version(s).
    05-16-2012 03:03 PM
    Honestly, I just got my ns4g, and really enjoy it. I think the size is just about right. Also, unless you are in supported markets, 4g lte is going to be a while before it is distributed to most of us. Heck, I am in a major metro area, and we never really got WiMAX (there are a few towers for it, but never bother to turn it on cause the chances of hitting one of the towers are pretty slim).

I don't feel like the nexS is far enough behind the current generation to warrant in upgrade. Save it till something truely impressive gets released that has a supported network in place.
    05-16-2012 06:27 PM
    Honestly, I just got my ns4g, and really enjoy it. I think the size is just about right. Also, unless you are in supported markets, 4g lte is going to be a while before it is distributed to most of us. Heck, I am in a major metro area, and we never really got WiMAX (there are a few towers for it, but never bother to turn it on cause the chances of hitting one of the towers are pretty slim).

I don't feel like the nexS is far enough behind the current generation to warrant in upgrade. Save it till something truely impressive gets released that has a supported network in place.
    I do think the newer phones will feel faster, but I just don't want a larger phone than the Nexus S 4G. The upgrade I'm waiting for is basically same phone but with sharper screen, LTE and faster processor. Unfortunately there is no indication that waiting longer will solve this particular issue.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2
    05-16-2012 07:36 PM
    I want the GN just not on cdma, but tmo sucks in my area and att, well it's att. So at the moment I'm hanging with my NS4G. I'm curious how sprint is gonna handle LTE also so we will see.
    05-16-2012 07:51 PM
    I want the GN just not on cdma, but tmo sucks in my area and att, well it's att. So at the moment I'm hanging with my NS4G. I'm curious how sprint is gonna handle LTE also so we will see.
    You want it, but not on CDMA, and also you don't want it on GSM? Galaxy Player

05-16-2012 08:58 PM
    You want it, but not on CDMA, and also you don't want it on GSM? Galaxy Player

Lol no I want to get away from CDMA devices and just buy unlocked nexus devices (nexi?) but the only GSM carrier I would actually use (T-mo) isn't very good in my area.
    05-16-2012 09:35 PM
    Same boat as OP. This is my last premiere 12 month upgrade. I've been eligible since May 1st.

I'll stick with my NS4G until an equivalent sized high-end phone comes out.
    05-17-2012 09:28 AM
    Your NS4G is basically the GNex...

What major adantages does the GNex have over the NS4G?

• Bigger screen (Not a deal breaker to many)
    • Dual Core Processor (Haven't really seen anyone bragging about the dual core and battery life is about the same or less)
    • On screen buttons (No deal breaker there, I like my capacitive buttons)
    • Camera (okay so it has a little better camera)

I think that about covers the main key things the GNex brings to the plate, to me the NS4G does everything the GNex does almost as good to the point where I have already passed on it. Verizon getting that exclusive release really burned carriers like Sprint who has to wait longer then Sprint held out further to prepare for the LTE upgrades.

Sprint supporting WiMax for another year or so will put those who decide to wait to upgrade in a good spot. Many more new devices by then, LTE should be up and functioning in the stated markets and more hopefully and you can see what the next roll out of Nexus will bring.
    05-17-2012 09:42 AM
    I was thinking about upgrading and going to a GSM phone so I can just buy my phones outright and swap out with a quick SIM switch. But with my corp. discount with Sprint (also unlimited data) and my Nexus S4g is holding it's own right now. Before I updated to ICS I had the CM7 but was getting a lot of resets/crashes etc. Since ICS it feels like a new phone and I am going to keep my Nexus S 4g for a bit longer.

My next phone might need to be bigger because I mainly use it to surf, email, text, camera, music and video. I use about 75 mins of talk time per month of anytime minutes. (I talk on the phone all day at work, the last thing I want to do is talk on my cell when I am off )
    05-17-2012 09:47 AM
    I don't plan on switching my NS4G anytime soon. I'm happy with it overall and feel it can still hold its own against many of the other phones out today. ICS has a few quirks of its own, but it has fixed a lot of the bugs I used to have with Gingerbread and made my phone almost brand new. The GNex doesn't seem like much of a step up from the NS4G and failed to impress me overall.
    05-17-2012 04:05 PM
    The only things I'd change on the Nexus S 4G?

1. Gorilla glass
    2. Dual-Core
    3. Better battery life (without increasing size)
    05-17-2012 04:27 PM
    My next phone will be an HTC. I am tired of the cheap plastic cases that are like a bar of wet soap in your hands. Samsung has lost me...
    05-17-2012 08:21 PM
    I'm locked in for 16 more months, so that's why I'm sticking with it.. heh.
    05-17-2012 09:06 PM
    The only 4" ICS phone with a sleek curved glass design and working 4G...

Yeah its a winner for me at least till Google unleashes the flurry of JB devices in the play store.
    05-17-2012 10:01 PM
    I just got this phone last October off Craigslist for 200. Before that I had a blackberry 9650 which I had since it came out on sprint. So I have an upgrade available. With that being said, I will prolly keep this phone for at least the rest of the year. Unless I can find a gnex or a gs2 or something in that class for around the same price I got this one off contract.

Go Bucs!
    05-18-2012 10:44 AM
    i'm sticking with the ns4g ... till wimax is no longer supported..
    05-18-2012 02:47 PM
    i'm still with the ns4g because of contract and upgrade reasons.. the phone still rocks and all, i used to have the original moto cliq, so no problems here!
    05-19-2012 02:22 AM
    The NS4G has been a vast improvement over the Epic 4G I had previously. I have no absolute need to upgrade my phone at this time, and I still have another year on my contract. My battery lasts about 17-18 hours with 3hr screen on time, so battery isn't an issue. Running AOKP m5 with Matrix 19.5, so the tweaking of the phone is finally to my liking.

Having said that, The GS III and the EVO LTE phones are very impressive. I am going to wait and see how the patent infringement issue goes and to see what GS III lands on Sprint. So, I'll probably be upgrading within the next 6m.
    05-19-2012 08:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD