Stock (no root) tethering with Foxfi

kjparfekt

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I saw some posts about Foxfi - downloaded the app from their website but no luck on my Sprint Nexus S 4g - creates a wifi hotspot but the internet shuts off so while devices can connect to the signal they don't have internet. Does anyone wifi tether their stock Sprint Nexus S 4g and if yes, how so? I'm interested because my home internet will be down until Sunday and figured tether my phone to my tablet or google tv would hold me over until then.

Thanks in advance for suggestions!

jvai

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I saw some posts about Foxfi - downloaded the app from their website but no luck on my Sprint Nexus S 4g - creates a wifi hotspot but the internet shuts off so while devices can connect to the signal they don't have internet. Does anyone wifi tether their stock Sprint Nexus S 4g and if yes, how so? I'm interested because my home internet will be down until Sunday and figured tether my phone to my tablet or google tv would hold me over until then.

i tried foxfi just two weeks ago, it didn't work for me i even attempted to do usb tethering but no go.... sooo, now i'm BACK to the added 29.99 mobile hotspot plan.. :'( but not regretting it, i use it sparingly..

i've searched the forums for how this tethering rooted worked in the long run for those who do so, but turned up a blank... wanted to know if it initialy worked at the begining (maybe when rooted like last year for a month's time) currently w/o sprint calling ppl on it with notifications, or does simple tethering ceased(s) to work altogether... ~shrugs shoulders~

Last edited:

jvai

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone wifi tether their stock Sprint Nexus S 4g and if yes, how so? I'm interested because my home internet will be down until Sunday and figured tether my phone to my tablet or google tv would hold me over until then.

if you don't attempt rooting a newer rom which is said to unblock the sprint tether blockage (which i have to question if that will work, & WILL work in the long run for i don't know) , you can add the 29.99 sprint mobile hotspot for 5gb of tethered data ($6 per GB), via usb or creating a wifi hotspot, on wimax or evdo rev a... both here in dc is snappy, but i tend to lean to the wimax 4g when i do tether.. the only time i do use it, is if i'm in a place where i'd need it, like house sitting waaaay out in a hood like bumfuk egypt, or some place, where every freaking signals locked & i don't have the password for the network of the house.. but rarely am i in such a situation... if i find that i'm close to the end of my billing period & i haven't tethered at all going towards the end, instead of losing it & wasting the $30 (it's use or loose :( ) i just go to a spot & use it regardless of any available open wifi network, & go to town for a few hours, maybe share it with a stranger "you're not connected, yo you want some of this?" & give them the password... of solo, i'll stream a movie or something...

i thought / think it's a rip off still, but the pricing isn't unique -

The price-gouging premiums of Time Warner Cable's data caps

jvai

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
if you don't attempt rooting a newer rom which is said to unblock the sprint tether blockage (which i have to question if that will work, & WILL work in the long run for i don't know) , you can add the 29.99 sprint mobile hotspot for 5gb of tethered data ($6 per GB), via usb or creating a wifi hotspot, on wimax or evdo rev a... both here in dc is snappy, but i tend to lean to the wimax 4g when i do tether.. the only time i do use it, is if i'm in a place where i'd need it, like house sitting waaaay out in a hood like bumfuk egypt, or some place, where every freaking signals locked & i don't have the password for the network of the house.. but rarely am i in such a situation... if i find that i'm close to the end of my billing period & i haven't tethered at all going towards the end, instead of losing it & wasting the $30 (it's use or loose :( ) i just go to a spot & use it regardless of any available open wifi network, & go to town for a few hours, maybe share it with a stranger "you're not connected, yo you want some of this?" & give them the password... of solo, i'll stream a movie or something...

i thought / think it's a rip off still, but the pricing isn't unique -

The price-gouging premiums of Time Warner Cable's data caps

snaaap - Sprint raises data pricing for mobile hotspot tethering

$6/GB option to be replaced by $10/GB, $8.33/GB options.

Sprint has changed its mobile hotspot tethering offerings, dropping one current plan and adding two new ones with higher per-gigabyte monthly charges.

Phandroid picked up on the updates in a Sprint community forum thread. The company will no longer offer its $30 per month plan with 5GB of data ($6 per GB), but customers who currently have this plan will be able to keep it. Sprint's two new plans include a $20 per month with only 2GB of data ($10 per GB) and a $50 per month plan with 6GB ($8.33 per GB).

In addition to the new rates, Sprint said it will start helping users track their data usage. Customers can enroll with the company to receive notices when they reach 75, 90, and 100 percent of their monthly limit. As GigaOM notes however, it's a bit murky as to when Sprint considers the mobile hotspot feature turned on (based on their statement)?"both MHS and phone data usage pull from the MHS monthly data allowance.? Seems like unlimited data offered on the phone during hotspot usage counts against the cap.

c'mon sprint.. guess i'm locked into the older tethering plan until a work around is found..

252mytime

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Try the latest version of FoxFi--1.91.2. It works fine; I can get on the internet on my wi-fi only tablet without a problem.
I downloaded FoxFi 1.91.3 on my nexus s4g and it ran when I connected, but after disconnecting it would not re-connect. Have any idea why?

mclasser

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for that info, tknepher! I tried making the oldet versions of Foxfi work many times to no avail. But the newest version is working like a charm.

In my area, I usually get 1.3-1.5 Mbps download. With Foxfi on, my tablet gets the exact same speed. It's great the hotspot feature maintains normal network speeds.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Android Central Forums

joeynova22

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
please somebody help me!/ i have a nexus 4g s with ice cream 4. i dont care what ROM i have. CAN U TELL ME WHICH ROM has a FREE WIFI HOTSPOT!

pleeeasseee!

caymangolfer

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Weird, I just installed the APK via the link, it installs well but it will not allow me to setup WiFi Mode, only bluetooth. I am running JB on a Nexus S 4G and it is rooted. Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

PT

SGNexus4Gs

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I would recommend getting JB installed on your phone first. Might clear up the issue. Sprint sent out the OTA update of JB a few weeks back already...

joeyv8082

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
So far Foxfi does not work w JB in Wi-Fi mode only blue tooth. Devs are working on it.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Android Central Forums

Charisma#WN

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
if you want to tether anytime, just do not upgrade from the original stock ROM. refuse the upgrades from Sprint.
it is then stock google and that by definition will wi fi tether. I do it all the time with zero issues, and no rooting.
just do not upgrade.....................